cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks but I'm off.

sunwheel
Dabbler

Thanks but I'm off.

After years of mostly good service I've suffered a month of prolonged outages and, when able to connect, regular line drops. 
While my suspicion, after dealing with both PN and BT (and being batted backwards & forwards between the two!) over this period, is that this is a fault with the line and probably not plusnet's failing, I cannot tolerate the uncertainty.  Both myself and my partner rely on connection for work (me) and business (her). 
With regret, therefore, I'm off to a provider who doesn't have to rely on another provider to um, provide the connection.
So, thanks for the good periods & see ya.
21 REPLIES 21
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Thanks but I'm off.

But all ISP's have to deal with BT's Openrach surely?Huh
The local access network – the wires and fibres that connect tens of millions of homes and businesses to local telephone exchanges is one of the UK’s most important assets, and Openreach was created to give communications providers equal access to it.
Our customers are Communications Providers  - the companies end users choose to provide telephone, internet, and more recently television services to their home or business.
We supply Communications Providers with products and services that are linked to the nationwide local access network.  We also work on their behalf to ensure that the tens of millions of people across the UK have reliable local access to the telephony and internet services they offer.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

If it is a line fault then all other (non LLU) ISPs will have to go through exactly the same process PlusNet do in reporting and getting the line fixed via BT Wholesale & thus BT Openreach. So all you are doing is making an uncertain situation even more uncertain by moving to a new ISP.
Also I believe if there is a fault raised on a line you can't move until that fault flag is removed anyway. As PN are currently involved in the fault, they will have the most knowledge of it anyway and are more likely to get it fixed faster than moving to a new ISP.
Is this a residential or business product? Business products have a much faster fix time.
sabayon
Grafter

Quote from: Gel
But all ISP's have to deal with BT's Openrach surely?Huh

Not with a cable supplier such as Virgin.
sunwheel
Dabbler

Precisely.
jim:quote
sunwheel
Dabbler

Quote from: Peter
... all you are doing is making an uncertain situation even more uncertain by moving to a new ISP.

Nope.
The intention is to move to a situation where the ISP are responsible for the whole kit, in order to never again be in the ridiculous position I've been in during the past month - backwards & forwards between plusnet & BT... Largely due to BT's lamentable attitude to intermittent faults - ie "Ah, it seems to be working today so it must be fixed".
pierre_pierre
Grafter

But LLU, i.e O2/Orange/tt  still have to use Openreach to get from the exchange to the home, the only exception is Virgin
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The problem is very few Openreach engineers have had proper training. I had twelve weeks of dealing with Openreach engineers last year involving about ten engineers and only one had any idea what he was doing.
sunwheel
Dabbler

Quote from: glloyd
The problem is very few Openreach engineers have had proper training.

It's worse than that!.
The second time the fault occured (total line loss after a snow storm - same as the first time). I reported it, only to be told it had been fixed (the previous occurrence had resulted in a visit from an engineer who found nothing wrong).  When I asked why, therefore, was I unable to make calls or connect to the internet they relented and logged it as a fault.  This was around 9 in the evening.  The following morning on the website it was shown as fixed.  I didn't believe this and contacted them to ask what had been done to fix it and, within the next two days received calss from 5 (five!) different people in different departments all telling me they didn't know what work, if any, had been carried out.  Madness.
Plusnet seem to have tried their best (although there is a lot of "please monitor the connection for us") but they would appear to be at the mercy of a bunch of buffoons.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sunwheel,
I think one think I can take from your posts is the fact that you appreciate plusnet will do all they can for you. With this in mind, why don't you transfer your phone service to us? We can then take ownership of any phone fault for you and make sure it's rectified for you. Any issues you were to suffer would be able to be dealt with in just one call to us.
Jojo Smiley
sunwheel
Dabbler

Hmmm ... Does this mean I would NEVER need to deal with BT and their scripts again ... even if it was a physical fault with the line?  .... even when the current unresolved fault manifests itself again next time it snows?   Would I still pay line rental to BT?
Adie:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It does indeed mean that you never have to deal with BT again. Line rental (£11.99 per month from 4th January 2011) is paid to Plusnet, and both phone and broadband faults are reported to and dealt with by the same Plusnet people at their Sheffield headquarters. One doesn't have to be careful not to mention broadband problems when reporting phone faults, and if testing shows a broadband fault is really a phone service related one Plusnet see to it without the customer having to get involved.
Bundled package details can be found here.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you have BT's free caller ID on your line? It's not free on Plusnet.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sunwheel
Dabbler

Quote from: spraxyt

Bundled package details can be found here.

Hilarious!
I decided to give it a go ... I can always move later if it doesn't improve things.  Tried to upgrade to 'phone + broadband:
"Error
Sorry, An error occured whilst processing your request.
The error has been recorded and our website team will investigate. Please try again later."
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Sunwheel,
You should just be able to click on the 'buy' button here.
Jojo Smiley