cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible technical support

golcarlily
Dabbler

Terrible technical support

Yesterday evening I contacted tech support.
After a message from 'plusnet assist', saying I had a problem,and consequent running of same My desktop PC would not connect to the internet although my 2 laptops would.
Phoned tech support.
"Oh Plusnet assist is rubbish, don't use that"
ONE HOUR LATER after following various instructions, resets and reboots my Desktop would connect but the Laptops wouldn't. I kept getting " incompatible setting" messages.
I noted that the working PC security/ encryption was set to WPA... like the router, but the now non-working laptops were set to WEP.
"No mate that's not yer problem. The router automatically sorts all that out"
Finally "Switch off yer router for 65 minutes and when you switch it back on again it should be OK if not it's beyond me"
90 mins later router back on, desktop connecting but laptops still not.
Nothing to lose and only alternative was to pay for 3rd party help so I changed security settings on laptops from WEP to WPA and guess what !!
Yep you're ahead of me. Everything works
6 REPLIES 6
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Terrible technical support

If you have the option for setting WPA on all your devices than it's far preferable to use that rather than WEP which is an older and less secure standard.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
NedLudd
Grafter

PN Tech support is better sought for on this forum!
From what I've read here telephone support leaves a lot to be desired!  Cry
Geoff,
York.
James
Grafter

Quote from: NedLudd
From what I've read here telephone support leaves a lot to be desired!  Cry

No - That isn't the level of support we would expect, nor is the length of time that the phonecall lasted either!
I'll flag with the support team.
golcarlily
Dabbler

To be fair, I have been with Plusnet since 2006 (I think!) and this is the first time Tech Support has let me down.
I am just amazed that the support guy didn't follow up on the fact that the security settings were different in the router and the PC's Undecided
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, I hope and suspect that that is what will be picked up there. It's not what we expect and nowhere near good enough.
Sorry about that.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Quote from: golcarlily

Nothing to lose and only alternative was to pay for 3rd party help so I changed security settings on laptops from WEP to WPA and guess what !!

Surely PN should be giving the customer a good will gesture , as the above happened as a direct result of bad tech support, who should have noticed what the simple problem was, after the customer gave relevant information.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.