Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technical support very helpful last night

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Technical support very helpful last night

Yesterday I seemed to be having a series of problems; regular disconnections on what is normally a very stable 3dB profile line.
I did later recall that I had seen a BT van and a couple of engineers working on my local cabinet when I drove past it........ (suspicious, moi?)
Late at night, around 11am, after another break there was no DNS service. ADSL was synced and the router could see the gateway. Rebooted it a couple of times to be sure then called PlusNet support.
Bit of a wait, it said 15 minutes  (I think) but was nearer 5. A helpful technician answered (better not give a name) and I explained the problem then was taken through security.
What I said was taken at face value (hopefully I came across as knowing what I was talking about) and they went off to check a few things having seen multiple disconnects during the day after along stable period.
I was left on hold. FOR HEAVENS SAKE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE VOLUME OF YOUR ON HOLD MUSIC, MY EARS ARE STILL RINGING!  Crazy
Came back, had a few discussions, checked a couple of things and decided to try changing my settings to use a different DNS.
Then I was told it was worth changing me to "a different rack" whatever that exactly means and I was asked to power cycle my router. Apparently I had been reconnecting back to the same "rack" and it was overloaded - can anyone explain that by the way?
Everything then started working properly. So, many thanks to ***** for sorting out what sounds like a slightly unusual problem quickly and efficiently.
The technician did say they were on shift from 4pm today and would check my line and call me back if there was anything "of interest".
I'm now monitoring my line (using DSLstats) and can see that I had at least one resync this morning. Indeed my downstream SNRM had been set to 6dB earlier and was reverted to the long-term 3dB just after 11am, so I presume that's DLM in action?
Edit: Just had another resync, having noticed SNRM had dropped below 2dB. Wonder if the weather is a factor, picking up more interference - TV reception on Freeview is dreadful at present? Error seconds at 75/hour at present and still on a3dB margin.
1 REPLY 1
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Technical support very helpful last night

Quote from: HPsauce
Yesterday I seemed to be having a series of problems; regular disconnections on what is normally a very stable 3dB profile line.
And today my logging has shown 8 resyncs in a couple of hours!  Crazy
Each time the connection recovered OK, unlike the one late last night. There's clearly a problem somewhere, but that's not the subject of this thread so I'll continue that elsewhere if needed.
Might just wander down the road to see if the cabinet is being worked on..............................  Wink