Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TalkTalk slamming...

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

TalkTalk slamming...

My daughter got an email from PN a couple of days ago:-
"We have been informed that a cancellation order (also known as a PSTN cease) has been placed on your telephone line"
"The cancellation order has been placed to move your telephone service to a different provider. This will also affect your broadband service"
Seems a TalkTalk  'person'  was cold calling in the area, got her name, address and presumably her telephone number and proceeded to transfer her account without her permission or signature or anything.
I got her to call TalkTalk and threaten them with OFT, OFCOM, the Black Daeth and and everything else and she was told the transfer would be cancelled and she was given a cancellation number.
I have emailed PN to explain and to confirm that nothing should change and that my daughter wishes to remain with PN but I have not yet received any reply.  I would imagine that PN would not be best pleased as I gather they have previously expressed concern at TalTalk poaching PN customers...
Anyone out there with similar experiences?

14 REPLIES 14
linux
Grafter

Re: TalkTalk slamming...

How can this possibly be legal? TalkTalk are not a party to the contracts between Plusnet and its customers, so how are they able to cancel said contracts?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Talk Talk are widely known for 'sharp practices'.
We see loads of instances detailed on this forum.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
PNnewbie
Rising Star

I think 'some' of these instances may be where a customer might have agreed to take their calls over to TalkTalk but were not told that they will also be obliged to take their broadband via TT as well.
In my daughter's case she did not request ANY changes.
Lots of stuff on the 'net abot these sharp practices, see here:-
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/18/plusnet_talktalk_spat/
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi PNnewbie,
Sorry to hear about this, could you send me a PM with your daughter's username please so I can look into this?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'll reply to your PM shortly, it looks like the take over has been halted before it's too late.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Thanks Adam - a job well done - really appreciate your help!
Whilst I'm certainly not naiive I never cease to be amazed at the tactics some of these companies employ to get new customers - they've presumably never heard of the word ethics !!!
Thanks again.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Of course they have heard of ethics, its just south of thuffolk!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

^ this post reported for win. Nice one Jelv Cheesy
avatastic
Grafter

@Jelv I may or may not have nicked that.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
hadden
Grafter

I have a senior citizen friend who got caught out by TT yesterday.
He has PN broadband and phone and was told by TT street seller that they would save him money. They said they had a special deal fro people in his area and age group (75+)
Based upon the information as they stated, it looked cheaper, so he said he would confirm today if he wanted to go ahead.
When he told me last night about this I advised him about the problems other people had had, the costs that TT had not made clear, and not to trust TalkTalk to wait for his confirmation. The best thing would be to cancel ASAP and he agreed.
Of course, overnight TT had gone ahead with the transfer order and PN emailed my friend this morning, that a cancellation order had been processed.
He has now phoned TT and cancelled the order, but the queue time for PN CS was more than he could manage, so I've submitted a ticket on his behalf (40680931) to ask PN to make sure that TalkTalk don't "forget" to stop the order.
Maybe I'm too cynical but they appear to be targetting senior citizens.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JohnJ,
Thanks for the heads up, and the detailed ticket - I've cancelled the outbound order for you now.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I think where TT get a lot of info is when they offer to do "Line Test". I have a feeling that "Line Test" is a  call to one of their offices where call numbers are noted. Coupled with the address it's not hard to find out the persons name. I had one last year who having called on my neighbour (in her 80s) told me she had agreed to change her phone and BB. Of course I knew she had not but during the conversation he said Mrs..... Oh dear I've forgotten her name expecting me to give it but was out of luck.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You should have told them the name was Theresa Thelma Sheila Lammer!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MrToast
Grafter

I was 'slammed' for my electricity supply some years ago. However, whoever did it used the wrong name so mail (bills) were returned without a thought. After i realised i hadn't had a bill for 6 months I enquired, discovered what had happened, and had it put back to the company i thought I was contracted with. I obviousy missed the 'why are you leaving' contact too. (but perhaps something else went wrong since the name also changed...?)
Never did get a bill for the missing 6 months.
Regardless, I'd rather not be taken advantage of this way. Luck that electricity isn't so easy to cut off!