cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprised and disappointed with Plus Net

Ubi
Dabbler

Surprised and disappointed with Plus Net

I came back to Plus Net at the beginning of October after two years with Sky.  I hadn’t had any problems with Sky but I was dropping their TV service and that necessitated the move.  I live on a long line area but I was consistently able to obtain about 1.8Mbps down stream with the Sky service.
On moving to Plus Net I was straight away plagued with intermittency.  I reported this to the help desk and was passed about 1st line support for a couple of weeks.  In the end I “resolved” the intermittency myself by installing a new router and setting the idle timeout to zero, thus forcing an immediate reconnect on drop out.  I didn’t receive any advice to this affect from Plus Net support.  Perhaps if they’d done so I might have saved the cost of the new router.
Since moving back to Plus Net I have never been able to obtain a faster service than 0.7Mpbs downstream.  I have become very frustrated with the support service and their apparent lack of any attempts to resolve this.  I raised a fault about the problem.  After being passed about now for weeks I was told to raise a fault.  I attempted to do so only to be told that a fault was already open.
In response to hopeless suggestions by the help desk I have been unscrewing telephone plates, running cables up the hall to the master socket and trying to find a non existent test socket.  It would be comical if it weren’t so frustrating.  And it’s not just a theoretical problem.  I can’t use BBCi Player any more and many of my other online activities are severely restricted.  As a photographer this is a real problem for me.
Now the fault appears to be closed, there is no improvement in the service and the help desk will not communicate with me about the issue.  It’s very poor customer service.
And in anticipation of being told that because of my line conditions I will not be able to receive more than 1Mbps downstream  I would point out again that I consistently obtained about 1.8Mpbs from Sky.  And so I did when I was last with Plus Net.  So it can be done.
The ticket in question is 30124844.  I can’t think of any alternative now but to refer it to Ofcom.
46 REPLIES 46
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Surprised and disappointed with Plus Net

Can you post some information for us please.
1. What https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate says for your current line speed
2. The results from the BT speedtest.
3. The stats reported by your router, including specifically sync speed, attenuation and noise margin
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Ubi
Dabbler

The information requested is quoted below.  Is the reason for this restriction that Plus Net is not LLU on my exchange?
Stable rate:
Estimated line speed:
1.0 - Checked on 2009-09-25 14:00:45
Current line speed:
BT Speed Test
FAQ

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
684 Kbps

0 Kbps 1000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 684 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 200-1000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :832 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1000 Kbps

Router
Modem ADSL Firmware Version A2pB022c.d20e Modem Status Connected DownStream Connection Speed 832 kbps UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps VPI 0 VCI 38
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm a bit puzzled by your IP Profile being higher than your current sync speed. Are you a long way from the exchange?
We really need the attenuation and noise margin figures as well as the sync speed please. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php has instructions for lots of different modems/routers. If yours isn't there please post the make and model and I'm sure someone will tell you how to get them.
Have you got more than one telephone extension in the house (even if not in use)? If so could you describe your setup including what phone handsets, cordless base units, sky boxes, in fact anything that is plugged in to a phone socket, including where you have filters please.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hmmm, interesting one, estimated line speeds are usually pessimistic, so I'm curious what we're going to see when you post what jelv has suggested. Can you also say what date you actually connected to PN when you came back?
thongngo
Grafter

I have the same problem about the intermittance and the 0.7Meg downstream and the lack of customer service and advice.... All the same problem. Now they are going to send you on a wild goose chase. If you cancel them its going to cost you an arm and a leg as well.. The best thing they can do to you is put you through the 20:1 contention ratio so you might get a faster download. Keep complaining though. They MIGHT sort it out. Otherwise leave! Move to vivaciti or be. They charged me 68 pounds for leaving them just over 10 days (11days). Nice plusnet. Oh did i tell you they cant really sort it out? I was on orange for free broadband and it was much more faster than this lousy broadband. They got the cheek to say its my fault for not giving them a chance to resolve it... They send me on a wild goose chase like you and got the cheek to say that to me... They are really helpfull of taking your money though...
James
Grafter

With respect - You're asking us to remove your standard cancellation fee because you migrated to a different supplier without really giving us a chance to resolve, hence your cancellation fee remains payable.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Oh 'eck we've got a troll Sad
thongngo
Grafter

I have given plusnet a chance, but nothing really seems to be working and especially im getting 0.5 meg download rate. How much longer do i have to endure before you can actually let me go and give my money back? a month? 2 months? its been over 3 weeks now for me. And when i can't even watch a clip in you tube it is very VERY VERY fustrating!!! I can't just hang around for another month or so for you guys to sort it out! Time is money - people do have things to do! especially I need fast internet to sort out my small business! And I'm not a troll! Everyone probably agree with me out there! Sort his problem out! And as for me I'm moving on! can't wait around and twiddle my thumbs anymore!
thongngo
Grafter

P.s
My slow speed issues is still not resolved. I doubt it you guys will resolve it before I migrate to vivaciti - Yes im advertising them as well!
Ubi
Dabbler

I just had a call from James Bailey on the basis of which I'm prepared to wait further to see if the performance problems can be resolved.
Can I just say in advance that I will be away on business for much of November and unable to monitor the performance until I return.
Thanks James!
James
Grafter

@Ubi
Thanks for your time on the phone.
As I mentioned, I believe that your speed problems (whilst compounded by a long telephone line) are related to the 12dB target noise margin assigned to your telephone line by BT on account of your first router being faulty.
I'll get a request submitted to them to reduce this to 9dB initially now and we'll see how stable your line is then.
James
Grafter

@thongngo
As mentioned before in one of your other threads - there's nothing I can do for you as I want to try and place an order on your line, which I can't because you already have an outbound migration request.  I wanted to help, but I couldn't because you had already placed a migration order.
Ubi
Dabbler

Hello James
I'm back from my trip and I don't see any improvement in the line speed.  It actually seems to have got worse.  I am only seeing 640kbps at the router this morning.
Have you done everything you said you were going to organise?  If so I think it's time for me to make alternative arrangements.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Ubi
Quote from: Jameseh
@Ubi
Thanks for your time on the phone.
As I mentioned, I believe that your speed problems (whilst compounded by a long telephone line) are related to the 12dB target noise margin assigned to your telephone line by BT on account of your first router being faulty.
I'll get a request submitted to them to reduce this to 9dB initially now and we'll see how stable your line is then.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

James doesn't work for Plusnet now!  Sad