cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in line speed - support gone AWOL :(

mossywell
Grafter

Sudden drop in line speed - support gone AWOL :(

I was on BT Infinity 2 for a couple of years with close to 80/20 speeds rock solid. I moved to Plusnet and for about 2 months, the performance was identical. Then it suddenly dropped to about 15 mbps / 20 upload (15/20). (This is via the master socket and on 2 different routers.) Plusnet got an Openreach engineer out after finding a few small faults on the line. The engineer visited and gave the home setup, the router (we tried 2 routers again) and the Openreach part of the network the all clear and suggested it was on the Plusnet side of things. Oddly, for a couple of days after his visit, it "jumped" to about 50/20. Then, when I rebooted the router over the weekend, it dropped back down to 20/20 (1/4 of where the download speed should be and was for 2 years on BT.)

What is frustrating is that since the engineer's visit 1 week to the day, I have heard absolutely nothing from Plusnet support. It just goes to show that "we'll do you proud" appears to be just another vacuous marketing slogan with no correlation to the real world...

(I did try calling but didn't want to dedicate an hour of my time listening to musak.)

EDIT: Ticket 130900341

8 REPLIES 8
run187
Dabbler

Re: Sudden drop in line speed - support gone AWOL :(

mossywell
Grafter

Indeed. And if you check the 3 uswitch awards that they won in 2016 for various broadband categories, a well-know cable operator got 6 awards including best BB provider! It's all about spin... Sad

mossywell
Grafter

How to leave Plusnet?

With an unresolved speed issue (getting 1/5 of the 80 mbps I should be getting - yes that's about 16 megs currently) going on for about 6 weeks (albeit it on hold for some of that time), I decided to invoke the MGALS clause (as I'm still in the 18 month contract) and called the number to leave Plusnet. The problem I face is that the CS rep said that it needs to be logged on the support incident that support have officially given up. Only they haven't given up - they've gone silent!

So, I asked what to do if support just ignore me completely and all he could say was that they shouldn't and that the current tech support queue time was zero minutes so give them a call. I also asked how long is reasonable for support to attempt to fix it (clearly saying "we're still trying to fix it" for 18 months is unreasonable) and he said about a month to a month and a half but there's no hard cutoff. Bingo - mine's pretty much there already! So, I called support and guess what? "Sorry, queue times are 30 minutes at the moment!" Aaarrrggghhh..

There's something fundamentally flawed here if I can be ignored (and support impossible to contact) as a mechanism to prevent MGALs being invoked. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

BTW, Plusnet have always been polite, but right now, I'd tolerate rude +80/20 than polite + 16/16!

TIA

m

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: How to leave Plusnet?

If you are being ignored then a start formal  complaint at https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/ and be clear with Plusnet as to what you see as an equitable solution to the issue.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your connection speed and that the fault ticket still hasn't been responded to.

I'll make sure you have an update by the end of today.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
mossywell
Grafter

Re: How to leave Plusnet?

Good call. Will try that....

mossywell
Grafter

Thank you very much Harry.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Topics merged

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still