cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop censoring me

kged

Stop censoring me

I have found that I am unable to use the internet freely because Plusnet is sending me through a proxy, interfering with my ability to fully utilise some sites. On said sites my IP address shows as being completely different to my actual IP address, indicating that I have been routed through a proxy. I don't want this, I haven't asked for this, and it is to stop ASAP. I won't stay with or fund an ISP which thinks it has any business making decisions for me. I look forward to hearing that this invasive and illiberal practice is being abandoned in the near future.
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Stop censoring me

Plusnet do not use proxies except in one circumstance as noted in Reply 3 below - the chances are that you have either got a virus or trojan which is doing it
Have you tried a tracert to one of the affected sites
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Try http://www.whatismyip.com/

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

A proxy can be involved in one special circumstance - when a site is hosted on a server which is on the IWF (Internet Watch Foundation) list. See Internet Watch Foundation FAQ for information on the potentially illegal content list used by Plusnet and how the filter is implemented.
David
kged

So, as I initially stated, the ISP I pay for is censoring my internet usage because the IWF have decided that I shouldn't be allowed to use the net as I see fit. I am NOT doing anything illegal nor viewing anything illegal, but the Mary Whitehouse Foundation has judged this insufficient to satisfy their need to make my choices for me. If you as a company want to buy into their censorious and repressive agenda that's your choice, but I won't have it. Stop this or lose my custom.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

spraxyt said "a proxy can be involved" he didn't say it necessarily was in this case so you may have to look elsewhere for the cause.
Even ISPs have social and moral responsibilities.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

it may also be helpful if you were to provide what you thought you were been blocked from?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: kged
Stop this or lose my custom.

Bye
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

What are you trying to look at?  If it's being incorrectly routed through our IWF filter, we can take a look and fix that.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
mxs
Grafter

More info on wikipedia.
UK Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker instructed all UK ISPs to implement a version of it by the end of 2007 on a voluntary basis, or face legal compulsion

I don't believe there is currently any legal compulsion for ISPs to use the IWF proxy but I believe the majority of them have done so voluntarily - are there any that continue not to use it?
BT were also ordered by the courts to block a certain usenet indexing site (possibly others in the pipeline also) using the system but at the moment I believe that list only applies to BT as an ISP rather than anyone who uses their system.
I think you will be hard-pressed to find an UK ISP that has not implemented the IWF proxy (some may not mention it explicitly but it does not mean it is not in use) - the alternative would probably be legislation that would be even worse for them.  Putting aside the censorship argument it should not affect the majority of people - there are occasionally problems with sites that check users IP addresses in a certain way and think multiple people are trying to use the system from the same location (in the past wikipedia editing and some file locker sites spring to mind) but I think most problems can be resolved if you report them.
kged

Quote from: Kelly
...routed through our IWF filter...

The fact that you HAVE an IWF filter is all I needed to know. As soon as I can find a ISP that doesn't need the approval of those cardigan-wearers before letting me browse as I wish, I'll be off. Thanks for your replies folks (most of them anyway).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Andrews & Arnold
[quote=http://aaisp.net.uk/kb-broadband-realinternet.html]Data logging
We do not log which websites you visit (though the website administrator may). We don't run any sort of transparent proxies or other systems to covertly log what you do on the internet, and do not sell data to anyone. We specifically monitor traffic levels and make this available to you. If we are helping you debug a problem we can monitor traffic for you in real time, but we don't record that. We also take occasional random traffic snapshots periodically which we hold for 24 hours - this is only to help identify causes of network load problems after the event. All of our servers which you use (e.g. email, web servers, etc.) have logs which are kept for a few months, but you do not have to use our servers if you do not want to. We have not yet been required to retain communications data for 12 months under the new legislation. We do not run anything like Phorm and never will.
Censoring
It is not our role to try and censor what you do with the internet. We do not try and log or limit what you are accessing. It is your responsibility to stick to the laws that apply to you. We have no intention of putting in place any censorship systems or using censored transit feeds.
Censorship systems are usually introduced under the guise of some emotive topic such as stopping child abuse which nobody could argue with. Such systems are very very unlikely to have any actual impact at all on the actual problem they claim to solve. Such systems often break or hinder the normal working of the internet, as seen by wikipedia recently. They are usually easy to circumvent. If they work at all then they just drive the offensive use underground and using encryption so making it harder to find and deal with. They are also the thin end of the wedge as once a system is in place then adding more is easy. Bear in mind most ISPs using such systems then have no control over what is censored or why. If we accept censorship for child abuse, then we have to accept it for terrorism, and then maybe political extremist views, and then maybe not so extreme views, and maybe wrong thinking or pictures of policeman (oh wait, that was just made illegal too!)... "then they came for me and there was no-one left to speak out".
Black boxes
We have no so called black boxes to covertly monitor traffic and/or pass traffic monitoring to the authorities or anyone else. Obviously the law is such that we may have to add such black boxes, but we would resist as far as possible. We may even find we are not allowed to change this web page if ever that happens. However, I, as director, am happy to answer direct questions on this matter on irc (user RevK) or on usenet and you can get paranoid if I refuse to.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

IWF is intended to protect rather than inhibit the customer's experience of using our service. As mentioned if something is inappropriately filtered by IWF we can fix it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Adam - I think you are missing the point that the OP was trying to make.
Quote from: kged
I have found that I am unable to use the internet freely because Plusnet is sending me through a proxy, interfering with my ability to fully utilise some sites. On said sites my IP address shows as being completely different to my actual IP address, indicating that I have been routed through a proxy. I don't want this, I haven't asked for this, and it is to stop ASAP.

'kged' did NOT say they were being incorrectly filtered, but because the sites that were being accessed were going via the proxy, the spoofing of the sending IP address was causing the wanted service to not be fully accessible.

According to http://www.plus.net/support/security/abuse/iwffaq.shtml
4. How does the filtering work?
When you click on a link or enter an address into your web browser, this sends a request to our network routers.
Our routers check the IP Address of the server that the website you want to visit is hosted on. If the IP address matches that of a server that's used to host one of the websites on the IWF list then your request is diverted to a proxy server.
The proxy server will check if the site address you're trying to visit is on the IWF list. If it is, you'll be re-directed to this page to let you know what's happened. If not then the webpage you've requested will load as normal.

If 'kged' was being filtered then they would be complaining about being redirected to the Plusnet IWF landing page.

What 'kged' is asking for, is to NOT be routed via the Plusnet/IWF proxy as that is interfering with the wanted website.
This unwanted routing via the proxy is happening because a different website containing possibly inappropriate material happens to be located on the same webhost, and is not related to the web pages that 'kged' is trying to access.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

He shouldn't be being proxied.  We need to know what page he's seeing the problem on to work out if something is wrong.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager