Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP with BB Value

Sir_Lurkalot
Grafter

Static IP with BB Value

Hi
Now BB Value prices are exchanges dependant,  it means anyone wishing to have a Static IP can pay up to £10 / month for the privilege.
This seems excessive and it would be helpful if this could be made a more reasonable additional standard fee.
6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Static IP with BB Value

I'm not sure why it would cost £10/month for static IP? That's not the only advantage of the Unlimited product over the Value one.
The idea of a static IP for a small additional cost is a good one though and I'll raise it to the marketing team on Tuesday (when I'm back in) or someone else will pick it up in here first.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Not applicable

Elsewhere in the forum is a post I recently made about this very thing. I have just transferred to Value and noticed in the member centre that I had an IP icon. I clicked on it and found that I had been allocated a static IP (although I don't need one).
Having raised a ticket, I was told that it was due to the change in product so I had it changed back to dynamic.
Wonder what is going on?
Sir_Lurkalot
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
I'm not sure why it would cost £10/month for static IP? That's not the only advantage of the Unlimited product over the Value one.

Because BB Value in my particular case is a permanent £5.99 and the cheapest package with a Static IP is £15.99
jim:blue quote fixed mod:end
Sir_Lurkalot
Grafter

Whoops !  Sorry, I messed up the quoting in my previous effort.
Because I can get BB Value for a permanent £5.99 but the cheapest package with a Static IP is £15.99
dusty_bin
Grafter

The idea of a static IP for a small additional cost is a good one though and I'll raise it to the marketing team on Tuesday (when I'm back in) or someone else will pick it up in here first.

That would be a step in the right direction - but it does raise the issue of the real cost to PN of providing a static IP (presumably fairly negligible) and, therfeore, whether the most cost effective solution overall is:
- static IP as separate costed option, as suggest above, with the need for PN to implement and manage a new option, which is mainly(?) what you would be paying for, or
- allow static IP with no cost and no need to have the overhead of a new option and negligible cost to PN
cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Having locked a newcomer into an 18 month contract for broadband access and email accounts, if a few months down the line, the customer fancies a static IP, domain hosting or some webspace, they are stuck.  PN no longer offer these and the customer can't migrate to another ISP who has such an offereing because of the 18 month lock in.
Want PN should do is have an add on webpack which customers can use if and when they need it.
PN have home phone as an add on so why not a webpack?