cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP Address - Impossible or Expensive with Plusnet

nickatkinson

Static IP Address - Impossible or Expensive with Plusnet

Not impressed with Plusnet
I am on the VALUE tarrif - seems for some unknown reason don't want to give you an option to have a static ip address
If you pay extra for more speed and GB you can get - but I cant get faster speed than about 18MBps + only need around 20/30GB a month
They can manually do it every month for a £5 fee - then it resets so you would have to ask + pay every month
As far as I can see nobody at plusnet seems to want to actually help me or see it from the customer side
Why is static ip address so difficult to get
Anyone know if I should write to offcom or start cancelling from plusnet + associated costs etc ?
Does anyone know if there is a way to set up manually a static IP address so I can get my Icam app to work to view home webcams ?
They seem to want to make things as difficult and problematic as possible - how did they get such good customer reviews ?
dick:red All caps title edited as per forum rule.
28 REPLIES 28
mushy
Grafter

Re: STATIC IP ADDRESS - IMPOSSIBLE OR EXPENSIVE WITH PLUSNET

I thought the £5 fee for a static IP was a once only payment to set it up in the first instance.
Maybe some one can clarify that ?
James
Grafter

It's a one off fee on a product that allows it (ie not Value).
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: nickatkinson
Not impressed with Plusnet
I am on the VALUE tarrif - seems for some unknown reason don't want to give you an option to have a static ip address
If you pay extra for more speed and GB you can get - but I cant get faster speed than about 18MBps + only need around 20/30GB a month

Which Value package are you referring to? Thought it only come with 10GB
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you need 20/30GB per month in my opinion upgrading to Extra for an additional £5 per month should be ideal. With that product you can request a static IP for a £5 one-off charge,
Problem solved. Smiley
David
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Does anyone know if there is a way to set up manually a static IP address so I can get my Icam app to work to view home webcams ?

Can you not use a Dynamic DNS service ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nickatkinson

I am on the value fibre package for £16.49
My line does not support any speed > 18Mbps
I am allowed 40GB on the value which is all I need I dont need 250GB
Yet they want me to pay £5 set up
Then extra £3.50 per month - just for the privilige of setting up my broadband with a static IP address!
How much does it cost them to do the setup ?
Feel I am being ripped off
Anyone know how to escalate to offcom or their MD please ?
nickatkinson

MisterW thanks for the suggestion on how to do it manually - looks too complicated for me
I have no objection paying the £5 one off fee
But why £3.50 per month - surely thats over the top !
nickatkinson

Re: Static IP Address - Impossible or Expensive with Plusnet

James Bailey - please can I ring you
Please advise how I can call you ?
I am happy to pay £5 one off fee
I would like an explanation why I cant have static IP address on the package I am on ?
Thank you
itsme
Grafter

The majority of ISP do not offer static IP's and the ones that do work out more expensive than Plus Net, or they did the last time I researched it.
nickatkinson

itsme I accept what you are saying about other ISP - that may be the case - but I am signed up to Plusnet
notice they dont say on the signup we give you a sub standard broadband service - if you want to view home webcams through ipod app Icam expect to play more money!
I am trying to understand as a non techie person why PLUSNET want to charge me £3.50 extra per month for a static IP address
Does it cost them that much ? I have no issue paying a £5 setup fee
I would love to speak to their MD or somebody that could actually help me instead of trying to extract more money from me
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

And those ISP's that do offer static IP's typically only do so on the upper-tier packages, often involving an ongoing extra charge not just a one-off.
As noted earlier DyDNS is normally an effective solution for the casual user.
itsme
Grafter

Could be down to the fact that IP addresses are running out. So allowing static with high usage packages mean that these users probably will leave their routers on 24/7. In comparison with low usage packages that are only dynamic were the user may switch their router of allowing the IP to be reused.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

MisterW thanks for the suggestion on how to do it manually - looks too complicated for me

It's not complicated at all here's a how to :- http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/webcams/how-to-set-up-a-cheap-home-security-system-using-dynamic-dns-50005...
Unfortunately the most widely used provider Dyn.com no longer provide a free account but there are others such as http://www.changeip.com/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: nickatkinson
I am trying to understand as a non techie person why PLUSNET want to charge me £3.50 extra per month for a static IP address
Does it cost them that much ? I have no issue paying a £5 setup fee

Plusnet don't want to charge you £3.50 extra per month for a static IP. The situation is that static IPs are not offered on the basic Value Fibre package. So you need to upgrade to a package that does include a static IP add-on option if you want one. Extra fibre which costs £3.50 more than Value Fibre includes that option.
David