Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SquirrelMail PAINFULLY Slow on deleting Unwanted Emails

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

SquirrelMail PAINFULLY Slow on deleting Unwanted Emails

Can PN please explain to me and other users why SM is so painfully slow in deleting unwanted emails?
13 REPLIES 13
community
Grafter

Re: SquirrelMail PAINFULLY Slow on deleting Unwanted Emails

Hi
you must be new to PN!
Squirrel mail has been blamed for just about everything you can imagine and REALLY experience  Smiley
I think you should do what a lot of have already done and that is to use another mail server...
I have used gmail for a long time and recommend you give it a try.
It is obvious that Pn are not going to do anything about Snail mail Cool
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you could also use Thunderbird and IMAP, that would leave the messages on the server if thats what you want, and bulk deletion is easy
colintivy
Rising Star

Most of the problem is the limited access to Webmail.net. I understand that there is work scheduled this year to overcome the problem. I must admit that the seriousness of this seems to be increasingly with the passage of time. Took me 25 minutes to deal with 2 emails today  (1200 ish) and that is becomung all too often. Refer to Colin Pullen who could be able to update you all.
chandu
Rising Star

Thank you very much for your feedback/s.  I appreciate it.
@ community, Yes, I am new to PN.  Just joined end of November 2010.  I am trying to get to grips with 'oddities' of PN.
@ pierre_pierre,  I am using Thunderbird as my email client (on Win7 machine).  Having said that, I am trying to eliminate rubbish emails before I clutter-up my email client.  Incidentally, what is IMAP?
@  colintivy,  I have already raised SM problems thru support tickets and on the forum.  I quite agree with you that when you're away from home and accessing your mail via SM it is painfully slow and the Caputcha also hinders your progress.  Away from home, you're likely use either a friend's system or an internet cafe and you want to check and, where necessary, respond to your mail quickly and be on your way.  Surely, this not much to ask from PN.
I am still waiting for PN staff to comment on what's being done about SM and when can we expect a decent Webmail tool.  Had I known about complications and slowness of using SM prior to joining PN, I would have probably gone either to O2 or Be (ones recommended by Which?).  But there we go, I have already informed all concerned of my PN email address and I suppose I shall have to wait and see.  For sure, I am NOT a happy bunny as far as Webmail tool is concerned.
I feel something ought to be done about either SM or replace it with something decent.
Many regards.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

there are two forms of e-mail servers
POP3 which is the usual and downloads the mail to your machine, you can leave a copy on the server though, if you dont leave a copy, you cant read it on other machines
IMAP reads and leaves the mail on the server, you dont get a copy on your machine
With PN you can have as many mail boxes as you want, I have 7
The set up is well described here http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/  lots of other e-mail questions answered here http://www.plus.net/support/email/index.shtml
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Reading down I use Thunderbird on two netbooks when away from home, had no trouble in Eire or the UK one is Linux, the other XP, using IMAP means either machine can look at them and my main machine can manipulate them when I get back home
Also having all 7 letter boxes open at the same time, you can drag nd drop from one to another with no problem, I limit my wife to OE on the XP netbook, and move them to her letter box, after I have verified them, she get some weird stuff that need deleting before she gets them
chandu
Rising Star

@  pierre_pierre,  Thanks for your prompt response.
I wonder, when I joined PN, why was I not given a choice of POP3 or IMAP !!  I was asked to setup my address/es with POP3 i.e. mail.plus.net for incoming and relay.plus.net for outgoing.  I am not complaining about use of either of them.  They both work fine with my Thunderbird.  All I am saying is I should have been offered a choice.
I am still waiting for PN staff for their feedback !!!!
Many regards.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you can use either or both at the same time, the only difference is the mail server, its mail.plus for POP3 and imap.plus for IMAP
also look at this thread its similar  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,93845.0.html
chandu
Rising Star

@  pierre_pierre.  Thank you very much.  I have looked at all 3 links you have sent.  Very helpful.
However, Please do enlighten me how I can use both POP3 and IMAP on a single Win7 Machine with Thunderbird.
Many regards.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
As a reminder to some and hopefully as good news to others we are looking at alternatives to squirrel mail at the moment: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92331.0.html
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chandu
Rising Star

Yes Adam, I have looked at it, and  I am waiting for the day when the noises you have made, about SM, on our behalf, coming to fruition.  I hope and pray that the alternative is much better and easier to use than SM.  The quicker the better.
Many regards.
dick:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Rest assured that improvements to webmail is now an important part of our business roadmap. I'm sorry that I can't state any specifics at the moment but more info will be given nearer the time.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chandu
Rising Star

Thank you, Adam you're  a star.
Regards.