cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed problems

firkin
Grafter

Speed problems

I've been having problems with my broadband down speed for nearly three months now. I've done all the usual checks, new face plate, new filter, BT line test that was found to be faulty, a borrowed router from PlusNet, plugging into the connection behind the faceplate etc., The BT bloke went up the pole but because it was nearly his knocking off time he told me that although there were potentially various other places the fault may lie all he had time for was to do something back at the exchange.
To be fair the speed did increase for a few days but then started to deteriorate, that was when PluNet sent me the router. Again the speeds increased but not lightning fast then they started to deteriorate once more (122Kbps).
I have no idea what's going on but I did speak to a PlusNet employee earlier tonight and he's going to arrange more checks. I've not had this problem with my connection for five years or so and I can't understand what's going on.
Anyone else having these sorts of speed problems?
I've been asked to do regular BT speed tests which I've been doing with my Telephone Number. I've noticed that I can also use a Service ID  but apparently I need to ask PlusNet for this this service.
Would PlusNet supply me with this number so I can supply more accurate information please?
Finally, I sent the PlusNet router back but the receipt for the return postage wasn't included, I've tried to send it via the ticket system but it will not accept my format, or something like that. Any ideas how I can get my £5.50 back would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speed problems

Hi firkin,
Do you hear noise on the line when you use the phone? I'd suspect this is likely if an engineer looked into wiring issues on your pole but didn't have time to fix anything. If so please report the fault to the phone provider and insist that the engineer investigate the issues left on the pole from the previous visit.
With regard to the service ID, there's very little difference between using that and your phone number as both refer to a specific length of wire and port at the exchange. However I'll PM this to you shortly.
Hope that helps,
firkin
Grafter

I've tried the 17070 quiet line test and there's no noise I can detect. I've also (just) phoned BT who have done yet another line test and I'm told there is no fault, so it looks like I'm back to square one.
Thanks for the Service code Matt.
Finally, I sent the PlusNet router back but the receipt for the return postage wasn't included, I've tried to send it via the ticket system but it will not accept my format, or something like that. Any ideas how I can get my £5.50 back would be appreciated.

Any suggestions about getting my £5.50 put back in to my account?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Any suggestions about getting my £5.50 put back in to my account?

I've checked your account and can see that our faults team should pick that up soon, I've drawn your ticket to their attention with regards to the speed problems you're experiencing so you should have a response soon.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team