Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed estimate welcome letter

drmiket
Grafter

Speed estimate welcome letter

Hi,
I've read several posts on the forums now that mention people getting a welcome letter as below.
Dear Mr ***********
Account username: *************
When you signed up for your broadband account, we performed a check on your telephone line to give you an estimated speed your line might achieve.
----
I never received such a letter. Do you have that info, i.e. the speed YOU expected my line to be BEFORE I started using the service?
thanks,
Mike
PS Am asking here because the ticket system is sinking under the weight of current problems
8 REPLIES 8
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Speed estimate welcome letter

You can see the estimated speed on this.  It's updated every so often.  Mine has a last updated date of 16th December 2009.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Phil has given you the link to show the info you're after. If my memory is correct, we didn't start sending those emails out until October last year (although I could be off on that).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
drmiket
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for the v quick response. Am sure you've guessed why I am asking but let me elaborate.
I joined in June and everything just worked so I never checked "how fast is my line today" like many people on the forums here. Then late November my connection became unstable overnight i.e after midnight it went bonkers, bouncing the router so I raised a fault. BT's DLM saw this and cranked the dial up to "bad line, let's go really slow". The result of that is SNR is at max 15dB and my line speed is a puny 1.5-2MB/sec.
Sooooo I would like to return things to normal, as in the SNR back to 6dB and thus potentially get the maximum speed that the line can manage. I have asked support to put the line back in "training mode" but was told "it's not possible". I know it IS possible because a work colleague who also uses PN told me to ask for that specifically.
In short *if* my line started life at 3.5MB I'd like to get back to that speed. Ideally I'd like something closer to 8MB like everyone else but am trying to be realistic! The main problem is I've no idea what the Maximum Stable Rate was back in June-Oct so don't know what my target is.
thanks
Mike
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Resetting the SNR is possible, but is more difficult on your line as on the standard Max lines, as you've been moved to 21CN (it's a manual process at present).
I've got someone looking at this for you now, it will get done, but due to the manual work required may take a little longer than usual.
drmiket
Grafter

Hi Mand,
Many thanks for that. I don't mind if it takes a bit longer than normal.
The current stats are not good. I am sure the line can handle more than that.
Estimated line speed:
2.0 - Checked on 2009-12-10 13:27:02
Current line speed:  1250

Mike

Mand
Grafter

This has been reset to 6db now. Smiley
drmiket
Grafter

So I see. The speed has doubled accordingly  :D. Many thanks Mand.
Mand
Grafter

Good to hear. Smiley