cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed after 10 days with PlusNet

hogesar

Speed after 10 days with PlusNet

Hello!
New PN customer here. Switchover was smooth, which im thankful for. Was with o2 beforehand, and if anyone is considering moving to them, probably best to think again! Went with them for a UK call centre, shame it didnt' make the people on the end of the phone any better at dealing with your issues! (slightly less frustrating mind). Moved to plusnet to keep the UK based call centre, haven't had to use it yet!
Broadband is under my fathers name, with me being the 19 year old son. However, i work in IT so deal with everything that comes our way regarding internet, networking etc.
First piece of bad news is you use the same router as o2 (who want theirs back after 18 months with them!), but i can cope with that. Not as bad as what Tiscali supplied me the year before..
Okay, line tests etc say i can achieve 3.5mb, but the most i've ever got is 2.5mb. Not just with you, with ANYONE. I'm thinking its my wiring upstairs, as the house has been extended on top and some handyman who lived here before clearly fancied himself as an amateur electrician. How badly could his wiring of phone lines affect my speeds? Is it worth trying the main phone socket downstairs first before anything else? We have a main socket, as in the primary one which enters the house, but we don't have a test socket....strange.  Angry
Thought i'd post on here and see whats what - at work we're now looking for a new business ISP, but didn't want to look into PlusNet so soon if there are persistant problems (although that may have naff all relevance to you - like i said, probably my end!)
Thanks!
P.S - Like your music taste, and style Adam!  Tongue
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Speed after 10 days with PlusNet

Hi hogesar :
Welcome to the darkside...err I mean Plusnet and to the forum!
Re the router we are looking at alternatives to the Thomson Speedtouch at the moment so watch this space.
How badly could his wiring of phone lines affect my speeds? Is it worth trying the main phone socket downstairs first before anything else?

My answers to that are quite a lot actually and definitely. Extra internal cabling (especially if bad quality or poorly fitted) The best thing to do is connect straight to the master socket, unplug any others you may have then run a speed test. It may also prove useful to allow us to run some line tests whilst your doing that as it can reveal a lot to us about the cause of issues like that.
at work we're now looking for a new business ISP

We'd best be extra nice to you then in that case Smiley we do have a range of business packages and a dedicated business support team (my previous role at PN and a clever bunch of guys they are too)
P.S - Like your music taste, and style Adam!

Cheers! \m/
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
hogesar

Thanks for the quick reply!
Will give that a shot when i get home and also let you know when it's in the master socket, i'll leave it there for a couple of days out of laziness anyway!
Whilst i (may still) have your attention:
At work, this morning used your line tests to see what kind of speed we could achieve. We have 2 lines for broadband, one offered an average of 5mb (but between 3mb and 8mb possible). The other line offered an average of 7mb but between 4.5 and 11mb being possible. This was at about 12pm. However, i run the exact same speeds again this afternoon and the faster line now offers a speed of 2.5mb, with a maximum of 5! Why could this be?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

i'll leave it there for a couple of day..

OK, I'll run some tests tomorrow for you, lets see what we come up with.
Those speed tests are a bit random, its worth bearing in mind that there's a few factors that can affect speeds like that, firstly are the lines with the same ISP or different ones? it
could be that they are based on different broadband technologies. Also they maybe connected to different copper pairs (where the line leaves the street cabinet), however it could be related to your ISPs traffic management policies, its worth looking at the small print to see how they handle that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Morning,
Have a look at ticket 39693169 when you get the chance. I've added some test results and some information for you.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
hogesar

Morning!  Smiley
Thanks, very useful. Am in the process of doing as you ask!
I'm pretty sure we'll find it's an internal issue. Upon inspection, our current telephone line literally goes from a telegraph poll outside the house, straight into the upstairs part of the house. There is a then a tiny old style box thing which literally does nothing, and then the previous owner of the house has used what i must say is massively thick wire, which eventually leads to a telephone cable and socket.
What im trying to say is, we don't...as such...have what most what call, a 'main socket'. It's in the one which is as main as it gets, it's not great, it just dangles in the attic space! Any fixed sockets, i.e downstairs, don't work with the router. I don't get the broadband light. I can obviously ping the router etc as everything turns on (wireless, ethernet) but it can't find broadband down what i thought was the primary socket downstairs.
Deary me!  Crazy