Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Tariffs

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Social Tariffs

Seems ofcom are getting involved:

Ofcom has revealed that 29% of UK households (8 million) – double last year’s 15% – are still having problems paying their phone, broadband and TV bills. In response, they’ve called on major ISPs to reconsider annual price hikes and ordered TalkTalk, Shell Energy, EE, Plusnet and Vodafone to introduce “social tariffs as soon as possible“.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/09/ofcom-tells-broadband-isps-to-halt-big-price-hikes-and...

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Shame that Ofcom is not getting as tough with BT Openreach's failures.

I can see this putting a tight squeeze on the retail sector ... which might in turn make them change their focus to customer retention (reduced churn) rather than new customer acquisition.

I hope that social tariffs are at least a 24-month contact - there needs to be longer customer commitment for much cheaper rates.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@Townman wrote:

I hope that social tariffs are at least a 24-month contact - there needs to be longer customer commitment for much cheaper rates.

The intention is that social tariffs are reviewed annually, and continue for another year if the customer is still eligible at the renewal date.

michelleH

My bill has just been put up again from around £30 to £36 Sad I stupidly went into a contract for fast broadband thinking it would stay at the original £26 with only 2 months remaining of a yearly contract. I called them when the initial price rise came and explained my situation being disabled with MS, mental health problems and being on PIP and UC but honestly they didn't care and were not in the slightest interested in helping me. I will definitely be changing my broadband supplier
rabidhadron

So, what's the excuse for Pnet adding the extra 3.9%? They're not offering a social tariff.

For what it's worth I only just found out about social tariffs via the BBC.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

It is almost industry-wide - supposedly, I understand 'to pay for the roll-out of Full Fibre'.

John
sandrataylor51
Grafter

It's a shame that OFCOM doesn't seem to have any teeth and is like all the other OF this and OF that which are are only there to provide extremely well paid jobs, with little work or responsibility, for the boys and girls who know someone high up in government circles.

michelleH

I've now switched to BT which has a standard £20 month set rate which can't rise/change with inflation. I did have to pay for the router which was a tenner but a one off charge. They didn't mention anything about how long the contract is but I have a long term chronic illness which is never going to get better so its unlikely I'll ever not need financial support .
Also changing over was easy and they even offer to cover cancellation charges because I had 2 months left on my plusnet contract
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hey all,

We’re working to enable Plusnet customers to move to BT Home Essentials penalty free and this will be completed in the coming weeks. Thanks for your patience while we work through this and sorry for any inconvenience caused. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sandrataylor51
Grafter

Let's hope that it happens sooner rather than later.

sandrataylor51
Grafter

Has there been any update on this or are we going to have to pay the early cancellation fee to move?

I would rather stay with PlusNet if they offered the same as BT does as it would save me over £20 a month if they did.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi @sandrataylor51

As per the BT website here if you call us on 0800 432 0200 we can verify if you're eligible and if so you'll be able to move to the BT social tariff without charge.

I'm afraid we have no plans to offer a social tariff ourselves at this moment in time 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
sandrataylor51
Grafter

Thank you for that Matthew.

phatwa

The issue is that Ofcom are requiring you, or will shortly be requiring you, as well as several other ISPs, to have a social tariff.

It has been mentioned here and here.

So I am planning to stay for a while longer with Plusnet. I am on P.I.P and hope I will be eligible, for when the time comes.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

There is nothing therein stating that a CP/ISP MUST do this, Ofcom are suggesting that they SHOULD do this.

They are not the same.

... this can only lead to higher prices for other users. 😠

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.