cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Tariffs

dustynookps
Hooked

Social Tariffs

I have searched the forum for an answer to these questions but can only find one post related to the issue which is from several months ago

In light of most recent announcement by Govt about ISP Social Tariffs for people in receipt of certain Benefits, I'm wondering if Plusnet is intending to offer this service. Asking because I oversee Supported Housing for people with Learning Disabilities (where Plusnet is ISP). They are all in receipt of ESA and PIP so are eligible for the reduced tariff.  I have heard that if eligible people want to move from an ISP which does not provide Social Tariff to one that does, the original ISP might waive any early cancellation fee. Wonder if that might be the case with Plusnet ?

49 REPLIES 49
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Social Tariffs

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from My Account/Billing to Plusnet Feedback.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@dustynookps  alas that is a bit of a pointless question. 

Like many companies, PN won;t tell you what they are planning until it is ready to go into production.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"I have heard that if eligible people want to move from an ISP which does not provide Social Tariff to one that does, the original ISP might waive any early cancellation fee. Wonder if that might be the case with Plusnet ?"

I can't imagine any reason(s)why that can't be answered.

However, hearsay is not always reliable. Where did the O.P. hear it?

dustynookps
Hooked

Well I don't know that it's pointless to ask. Pnet might at least say they are considering it and Ofcom called out specific ISPs (including Pnet) for not joining the scheme. I want to know because if Pnet don't sign up we'll be moving on
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

I'm afraid that we don't currently offer a social tariff nor would we waive cancellation charges if you were to move to a provider that offered this. I've also no plans to share regarding if or when this may change. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dustynookps
Hooked

That's a shame - especially when Plusnet was one of the ISPs that was specifically mentioned by Ofcom in February - urged to join the scheme. I wonder why that is too since Plusnet is part of the BT group ? and BT are pointing eligible customers to their Social Tariffs.

If you're not offering this service by December (when our Contract ends) we shall have to move to an alternative provider that has a better social conscience. Even though the internet has become such an integral and essential part of modern life, not everyone can really afford the current rates - especially people who have their income solely or supplemented via Benefits - that includes people with disabilities and/or with chronic health problems
sandrataylor51
Grafter

Actually it is disgusting, especially when their T&Cs are somehow allowed to say that they will increase their charges each year by CPI plus 3.9%

No one would complain that prices have to go up by a small annual increase due to inflation, even though wages and pensions never seem to do as well, but then to add the extra 3.9% on top, especially when things that have affected inflation so badly as the Covid pandemic, the war in Ukraine and the massive energy costs due to shortages and green taxes that would not have been thought of as being as high as they have turned out to be.

PlusNet have been a very good ISP, at a reasonable price, but if their parent company and their competition is able to show that they have a social conscience and compassion for those on lower incomes, then if they are not going to offer a similar reduction then they should at least allow people to leave without any cancellation penalties, if they could get similar services for much less by changing to BT or one of the other providers who have a social conscience, compassion and social tariffs.

dustynookps
Hooked

Absolutely. Glad someone else sees things the same way as me. I'll wait and see if there's been a change of 'heart' by December when our contract ends. It's a shame because we've been with Pnet for years and years
sandrataylor51
Grafter

I will be leaving too if they do not change their policy, but I am stuck until towards the end of March next year and I have been with them for over 8 years.

Most firms these days do not value customer loyalty at all yet when I ran my business my customers were the most important thing to me, after the quality of the service I provided.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Speaking as a customer and not a moderator the word 'loyalty' must work 2 ways. What about sticking with a company you've been happy with for many years. Why go through the hassle of changing supplier, for what seens to me, just to prove a point? Companies exist to make money while customers are there to get the best service/product at a resonable cost.

Just my tuppence-worth.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

dustynookps
Hooked

Yes, loyalty works both ways but when it comes to the crunch Companies that are making millions also have some responsibility to help their less fortunate customers. Have you not read my original post ? I'm enquiring on behalf of three men who live together in Supported Housing. They all have learning disabilities, physical disabilities and chronic health issues. They are all in receipt of DWP benefits and that is their only income. They rely on the internet for entertainment, education, information, access to appointments, prescriptions - their world is as dependent upon the internet as anyone else but their income is limited and there is nothing they can do to increase that
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@dustynookps wrote:

I have heard that if eligible people want to move from an ISP which does not provide Social Tariff to one that does, the original ISP might waive any early cancellation fee. Wonder if that might be the case with Plusnet ?

Where have you heard that?

An authoritative write up here - All you need to know about broadband social tariffs - Which? - suggests that when switching to a social tariff with the SAME provider ETCs might be waived.  "... most providers will waive any early termination fees if you move from an existing contract to their social tariff".

I am astonished to read that these tariffs are fixed price, never to be increased.  I think I now see more clearly why ISPs need to put up their charges to everyone else by CPI + 3.9% - it is to pay for the increased regulation and service provision obligations being placed upon them.  See Cheaper broadband for struggling families: 14 August 2022 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

I'm so glad I moved when I did - fixed price, even out of contract, which I am, no CPI+3.9%, and phones/email queries answered by competent and interested individuals in a timely manner. Mind you, I must admit, in the 15 months since my move, I have only needed to contact them three times, one of which was due to my ignorance, the other two merely to confirm what I (correctly) assumed.

John
sandrataylor51
Grafter

Companies have to do something to deserve the loyalty of their customers but when they did things, that fortunately I believe they have now had to stop doing, such as giving new customers better deals than long standing customers and even though they are still making good profits they are not helping out their loyal customers by increasing their rates by such punitive amounts as CPI plus 3.9%, as if they weren't earning enough already, when many other companies have realised that lots of their loyal customers are now struggling to pay what they could afford prior to the massive cost of living increases and now because of that and the government reneging on their manifesto promise to give pensioners the triple lock yet if we leave before our contract ends we will be charged for leaving so we are tied into paying much more than we can currently afford.