Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So.. contracts up...

keyholder
Grafter

So.. contracts up...

Sooooo...

My contracts up with pn and due to poor gaming ping times im jumping ship.. ( so much for the new network )

But to whom... funny enough bt is the cheapest for unlimited fibre..
Part of me wants to jump ship back to Virminmedia as my neighbours with them and says hes not had a single issue in 5 years and gets a full 302mbs ( hes also a pc gamer ).. which is kinda useless if its over sold again... but i seem to be in granny central so should be ok..

Sky out the question...

Im thinking zen.. the xtra static ips would come in use... but i dunno..

Ideas.. Huh Our main aspect for the net is gaming.

Cheers folks
16 REPLIES 16
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: So.. contracts up...

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing poor latency whilst gaming.

We'll be happy to help resolve the issues you're having. Is your PC wired to your router or using the WiFi? -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
keyholder
Grafter

Wired... all the house is wired... the only device's that use wifi is mobile devices... as thats about all wifi is fit for.
decomplexity
Rising Star

Last year after very many years with PN I moved from a PN 'unlimited' business account (at £51 pm) to similar with Zen (at £35 pm).

Speed went up from around 69Mb/s to 73Mbps and subsequently 75Mb/s and customer service (which I rarely have needed) is excellent. I would have been daft not to move. 

Andrews and Arnold (AAISP) are also very good at the same price but cap their downloads. 

You sound like of the lucky ones with Virginmedia DOCSIS cable available. It may be worth seeing if FTTP is also available, in which case Zen, AAISP and others would like your business - you could at least find good technical people to talk to about the expected latency.  

In passing, PN's support used to be excellent also, but when some years ago ex-CEO Lee Strafford squeezed costs in preparation for float or sale (to, as it turned out, BT) many of the good support people departed. There a still a few outstanding ones such as Bob P. (who dug me out of many complex holes) but they are thin on the ground. It has also chronically under-invested in improving admin processes which is why billing is inflexible one-size-fits-all (never try to change the billing date!).

A great shame for a once fine - and to some extent groundbreaking - business.

Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
keyholder
Grafter

Hi dec..

Was thinking zen but they will charge for a new line to be put in as i need a new line as we cant do without internet.. the joy of teenagers moaning at you due to no internet.. even if i told them its down for a few days , you can bet your last £ they will ask 5 minutes later if the internets working yet, or they start following you around like a lost sheep due to being bored... because theres nothing else to do other than sit on the internet.🤣

But.. 😮😮😮 Virgin media in all their wisdom has actually denied an order from us to join up with them as they say there cabinet is full and not excepting new orders atm... you could of puhsed me over with a feather.

A&A tarrifs are pathetic, and quite frankly not fit for modern day home use... but bussiness wise im sure theyre good, unless im missing something on thier website.

Fttp not available... fttpod is but that would turn into £k's worth however i think we have a fibre link down the bottom of the road.. so might check it out at a later point in time.

But we are off to bt. New line no xtra cost. £125 prepaid mastercard.. only £40 more expensive than pn. So all in all not bad.. Then when thats all up and working ill give pn their 14 day notice.
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Have I missed something?  Why do you need a new line when moving from PN to BT?

decomplexity
Rising Star

Hmmm.... when I moved from PN to Zen, both services were available at cut-over. I had to ring Zen and ask them whether it had actually been cut over (it had). I just changed the router userid and password and that was that. No downtime whatever. And because I have a separate modem the line apparently stayed in synch during the router reconfiguration, so I had no short-term speed drop at all. It was an utterly painless experience.  

Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
keyholder
Grafter

As i dont want any downtime!!

+ if i get a new line put into the house thenni know its fault free and nice and new.. And its free!!!
keyholder
Grafter

@dec..

If only i was that lucky... everytime ive swopped provider ive been at least 4 days without service. Unless im going over to vm.
petecov23
Dabbler

@keyholder wrote:

Part of me wants to jump ship back to Virminmedia as my neighbours with them and says hes not had a single issue in 5 years and gets a full 302mbs 

He needs to call then. I get 383mbps all the time - although it's taken them over a year to sort my area out. But he's not getting full anything 

https://postimg.org/image/fhu7f4qmz/

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When I switched from Plusnet to AAISP I had about 20 minutes of downtime.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
keyholder
Grafter

@petecov... what does the 300mb package from vm speed offer then ? Or do they do faster now..i stopped looking at virgin 200mb came out and thats been out a while now.

@ jelv... thats not bad then.. my luck it be down for days on end.
passwordpublish

What [-Censored-]es me off is being tied into an 18 month contract and seeing ads for the same as I'm on - Unlimited [38mbps] plus line rental for £19.99, and I'm paying £28.99. They never reward loyalty, are only interested in soaking up new customers, and don't even respond if I ask why I can't have the new rate. Then Mr Fat comes on TV and tells me 'We'll do you proud' and I want to slap him.

keyholder
Grafter

Lolol... i asked an agent what pn could do for me regarding my current situation... if i took another 24 month contract out.. best offer was £34 😑 yet theyre offering £32 on a 18 month contract.. Go figure..

I then ring up again due to timeouts during a tracert all to give my details to the agent all to be told they were the wrong details.. yet pn send me an email saying.. sorry you're leaving us with my username on the letter thats supposedly wrong according to the agent. ☠🔫

We leave pn on the 30th of this month.. and have joined up with pulse8... already got my username, password etc...just gotta wait for the switch over now.
keyholder
Grafter

Well [-Censored-] me.. 

Openreach did what ever magical stuff they did and got me switched over to Pulse 8 today with 25 mins of down time. - Didnt even noticed we switched isp.

Got my static ip, and most importantly I have more speed and lower latency.. 

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7014835595.png

The most speed and lowest ping ive had on a speed test in the last 4 years..since moving from Pn.. 

YAY..

on a side note.. I now get no timeouts, I now get no lagging in cod4 / bf and my ping in my usal servers have gone down to under 30ms.  webpages more responsive, pages like overclockers.co.uk, or even pn own homepage used to take a good 5 to 10 seconds to load,. Now they're instantly.

Glad i swopped over -  Even thoe its on the talktalk network -.-