cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow broadband

mouse
Grafter

Sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow broadband

I've been with plusnet since November 03 when I got my first PC, problems have always been sorted fairly quickly and I've been happy, last week (forget the day) I reported a fault as my speed had dropped from its regular 1 meg down to 130kbps, the fault was escalated and I've heard nothing since, I've done another 3 speedtests tonight and they all showed 130kbps. My son aged 8 suffers from autism and has gotten used to things happening quickly, now its going slow he's getting agitated and upset because he's having to wait, its all I can do to pacify him and tell him theres something wrong, he still goes his ends though, just wish something can be done soon.
Alan (mouse)
16 REPLIES 16
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow broadband

Hi Alan,
We replied to your ticket on the 17th to let you know that it actually looks like an intermittent connection causing your problems. If you log in here and answer the questions we put on our faults team will pick it up for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mouse
Grafter

Well after doing another speed test tonight, I'm still only getting 330 download but 360 upload, its getting slower each day, BT are telling me I should be getting 760, why is this when I was getting over 1 meg a while back, I am definately not happy Cry :o. I can't work it out, theres a bloke 100 yards from me and he's getting 1.2 meg all day, I might magrate to BT and then they can sort out all the [Censored]
Moderator's note by Samuria - Attempt to bypass swear filter removed
Moderators note by Chemical Brother - Previous Mod note edited in line with moderating standards.
Denzil
Grafter

What was the result of the original question in January? To be honest, changing to BT or any other supplier will not necessarily help if the problem is in BT lines. BT Broadband have no more direct access to BT Wholesale than Plusnet due to competition rules.
The fact your neighbour gets a better connection may or may not be relevant. I live in the middle of an isolated terrace of three houses on the top of a hill in West Cornwall, and apparently the line for number three takes a completely different route to no 1 and me. I get around 750kbps reasonably steadily. No 3 had to have a fixed 512mB, because the line wouldn't hold a variable rate service at all.
piggysmalls

This may sound awful but I'm glad to know that it's not just me,
I'm an avid gamer and joined F9 in 02 way back when they supported the SEGA DC an have had very few to non existent problems, however,,
I have been noticing a steady decline in my connection since before xmass 08, frequent disconnects an more recently an extremely slow  connection, a typical download speed of 120-130kbps an an upload of 378 ish according to the online speed test, eventually getting through to a human voice i was informed that BT would be informed and the possibility of a service engineer to be dispatched to my home was on the table,
I was also informed that if the problem for my poor connection speed was located at my end, ie a faulty junction box i face a charge of £140+ pounds, only time will tell.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you plug your router into the test socket do things improve.
If they do the problem is with your internal wiring and that is what you need to address.
if it makes no difference and you have tried another filter then you should be OK.
The reason for the charge being flagged up is to make you aware of the possibility
piggysmalls

Indeed, i have 3 filters, 2 routers, i have try'd various combinations and i an currently connected to the test socket and have been for several hours, as i type this reply my download is 127kbps upload 379kbps,
As i mentioned above i'm a gamer an the poor ping i'm getting in-game is severely limiting my online experience, not so much for small skirmish but when more than 10 player toons are on-screen things get jumpy.

Moderators Note by Chemical Brother: Full quote of previous post removed - please read the link:rules - ta  Smiley
Emma
Grafter

Have you gone over your limit?? 127 sounds like profiling.
What package are you on and what is your current peak usage?
scootie
Grafter

check your router stats to see what your syncing at on the test socket.
you will not see an improvment on speed tests straight away as bt's profiling system will take around 3 days to update to a new stable sync rate.
when trying to improve your broadband speed after trying a diffrent setup allways check the sync rate on your router and not by doing speed tests.
piggysmalls

My package is unlimited, this month I've so far used 12gigs, of that 6 are off peak,
I find it odd that my nets been fine an stable for as long as i can remember, then for the last 4ish or so months become sluggish an infuriating, I have done nothing that i am aware of to alter the connection at my end,
One week it can be fine, no disconnects an lag free, then the next week it can be all over the place, then the next week be fine again, i dunno.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hey guys,
Whilst you rightly are concerned about you throughput speeds, it's not possible to help diagnose the problems without your router ADSL stats - that's both Downstream and Upstream Sync speeds (connection rate/BT line rate) , Attenuation,  and Noise Margin (SNRM).
If you can post those as related to the throughtputs you've mentioned.
If you've switched your router off since then you'll need to post the current figures and check throughput again.
scootie
Grafter

welcome to the world of touchie adsl. happens alot all fine then bang your connection heads south. it's now a case of finding where the new interfrence/hardware fault is.
you've got the best sherlock holmes on the case now(aka ANOTHERONE) this guy will help you find that needle in a hay stack Wink
Emma
Grafter

Quote from: piggysmalls
My package is unlimited, this month I've so far used 12gigs, of that 6 are off peak,
One week it can be fine, no disconnects an lag free, then the next week it can be all over the place, then the next week be fine again, i dunno.

You said in the first post that you had been a customer for many years, unless you changed package last week?
Denzil
Grafter

Emma, have another look - two different posters!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Oldjim
If you plug your router into the test socket do things improve.
If they do the problem is with your internal wiring and that is what you need to address.
if it makes no difference and you have tried another filter then you should be OK.
The reason for the charge being flagged up is to make you aware of the possibility

If trying the test socket gives a noticeable improvement in sync speeds, then fit an i-plate to your BT master socket.
It is highly likely [but not certain] that it will sort out your very poor speeds.
You will need to wait about 3 days after fitting before BT notices that you should be given a higher data rate.
Cost - about £10.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."