cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simples

deanp

Simples

Just got connected  Grin  how easy  was that
I wonder if anyone would have any tips on how to extend the range of the technicolor router? The old talk talk D link one was much better and I could connect anywhere in the house or garden this new one seems a bit limited. It is in the same place using the same phone socket but cant get a signal unless i`m in the same room. I have tried shifting it around but dosent seem to get any better. I am a bit of a novice with router set up and stuff but would it be possible to use my old router with plusnet or maybe buy another with a better range?
I Must say it is so nice to speak to someone who can understand and speak english perfectly in the call centre Cheesy  Think I will enjoy my time with Plusnet
3 REPLIES 3
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Simples

Yes, the wireless signal of the Technicolour  router is a bit rubbish. I'd like an answer to this too.
My (very) old Linksys router is far better providing a 5 bar signal anywhere in the house. The Technicolour thing struggles to supply 2 bars at a range of about 5 metre with no obstacles in between. Embarrassed
I think a change back is imminent and bin the new one.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi all,
You might be able to improve it by using a program like InSSIDer on the PC (or I've had some luck with Wifi Analyzer on Android - it's handy having a scanner on something portable) to check there's no conflicting signals on the same channel? You can find out how to change the channel here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-wireless.shtml
We've a few more tips on our website on how to improve the wireless signal here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_signal.shtml/
Hope that helps.
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks for that Matt. There's no way I'm going to start changing things in the router, fiddle around with programmes on my computers or sart re-positioning the router!
It's plugged into the master socket, just about the centre of the property and in exactly the same position as other wireless routers I've used, D-Link, Netgear, Linksys. They've all provided an excellent signal to inside and outside the house. Maybe because they all have/had a decent external aerial?
No, I'll ditch the Plusnet supplied thing and revert to the Linksys! Smiley