Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheer Pleasure

KeyBasher
Dabbler

Sheer Pleasure

What Joy!
Each key I press typing this takes up to 2 seconds to register.  This is typical of my current Plusnet experience: it works but only just.
I'm angry, frustrated and struggling NOT to shout. With a speed of 140 Kb/s it is next door to being useless. I was getting a miserly 450 Kbits/s a year ago - now, phwahhh!
I've just about had enough! Anyone know what the cheapest Virgin service is?
17 REPLIES 17
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Sheer Pleasure

Hi,
If it takes 2 seconds for your keys to register it's unlikely to be a broadband issue. Broadband has no control or bearing on the speed of your computers processing.
It's a concern if you're getting lower speeds than you should on your line though. Have you raised a fault with us at all?
KeyBasher
Dabbler

With regard to the 2 second key-registering delay: yes, I know that's not likely to be a broadband problem - but it is typical of my recent experience on all things Plusnet. (By the way, characters are appearing without a noticeable delay).
Regarding raising a fault, yes I have done. Some months ago. I was told that it was due to my router being switched off for long periods of time - and was shown a pretty coloured graph to prove it. Big deal! I had turned the router off (and on) many times and for for varying lengths of time,  in a vain and no doubt stupid attempt to 'reset' the connection in some way. In other words I did this BECAUSE the connection had slowed down - not the other way round.
I think I was told to wait a few days for things to improve (What a wonderful way to avoid action).  Of course, there has been no improvement.
I've bought a new modem.
I've changed ethernet cables
I've kept my router switched on.
I've tried to register a problem. (That's a wonderful experience: step one - change router - [delay until tomorrow to buy a new router]. Now lets start again. Step two - change filter [delay again - have I got another filter. where is it. Why didn't they tell me I needed this stuf BEFORE I started this process) Step three - do three speed checks - but do them at different times. When? is that three different days? Weeks? Hours? OK. I can see you don't want this to be completed! Forget it,
And I still cannot watch any Youtube videos (I used to be able to watch the low res. stuff over Wi-Fi - but no longer)
Still I have to wait as long as, oooh, what? perhaps as long as 15 seconds, to log on to Plusnet Webmail. It used to be better than this.
Then I thought "I know, I'll 'phone them. That will be quicker." But it wasn't - there was a thirty minute wait apparently. So, here we go again - Let's forget it. I better get to bed. My evening has been wasted again.
I'm using an old machine running an Ubuntu Linux. I could believe that is my problem. Almost. But the dreadful slow down over the last 12 months or so is apparent on both wi-Fi connected Tablet and games console.
Well that's my rant for the night finished. Except for one more thing: the word "colour" is spelt "colour" and NOT "color" and "spelt" is the correct past participle of the verb "spell". While typing this, these words are underlined in red. Your spell-checker is wrong. Consider this a complaint and get someone to fix it.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Plusnet does NOT have a spell checker. The spell checker is built in to the browser you are using, so if YOU install the International English instead of the UK English version/dictionary, what do you expect?
(Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/contact-us/general-feedback and test the spelling in the comments box on there to prove it's not just the Plusnet sites that have an issue)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Empirical
Grafter

My Toaster is broke, damn you Plus net  Angry
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi KeyBasher,
I've run some detailed tested on your line and there are some issue which I've addressed. Your sync rate is now looking much better. Your profile speed is due to increase imminently.
That said, I feel that you have other problems with your computer and this could also have an impact on your speed and also needs to be sorted out.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: KeyBasher
Anyone know what the cheapest Virgin service is?

£25.50 for broaband on its own - but if you are in an oversubscribed area you will struggle to get even 450kbps. No joke go and look at the forums.
The grass is singed brown over there - i have PN and VM so I can tell you that with certainty.
Empirical
Grafter

Virgin Media is great if you dont enjoy downloading (you only have to sneeze to activate their traffic restrictions),hate technical support and enjoy their Indian call center's philosophy of "nothing is broken - ever".
On the other hand their billing support were lovely. Their routers (for national) are much better (still have mine which I am using on Plusnet) and within their cable area I enjoyed very high reliability.
I dont think virgin are bad but they have their problems same as plusnet do. The grass is the same color (IMO)
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Does your 2 second key-registering delay affect all programmes? Forgive me for stating the obvious, but an elderly friend had a similar problem which was caused by malware infection contracted while browsing for whatever elderly ladies browse for. The excellent and free Malwarebytes removed the rubbishy thing.
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: Empirical
Virgin Media is great if you dont enjoy downloading (you only have to sneeze to activate their traffic restrictions),hate technical support and enjoy their Indian call center's philosophy of "nothing is broken - ever".
On the other hand their billing support were lovely. Their routers (for national) are much better (still have mine which I am using on Plusnet) and within their cable area I enjoyed very high reliability.
I dont think virgin are bad but they have their problems same as plusnet do. The grass is the same color (IMO)

WHAT "traffic restrictions"? they did away with them over a year ago!
Tech support might be rubbish ive never had to call them but compared to other companys I am currently experiencing their service is amongst the best.
Empirical
Grafter

Quote from: petecov44

I switched to Plusnet from Virgin media national in Feb and at that point they were still very much in effect then.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

A close relative of mine complains about VM's restrictions all the time as his usage is quite high and would be higher if they allowed it.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

I remember a few years ago, when I worked in a computer shop as a tech building, repairing and refurbishing computers, we got one in for repair on a Saturday so I was working alone, customer's computer was described as running slow, keystrokes taking ages to register, internet access dragging, did some diagnostics, hardware fine, ran antivirus off a CD (USB sticks weren't common by then), they had a trojan horse on their system, so I formatted the system as per their request, re-installed Windows, tested everything they supplied (incase of a dodgy CD), all clean, they collected it, and came back in an hour, same problem, claimed I didn't do anything, so, I checked it again, trojan was back, format, reinstall, check discs, 100% clean, showed it to them working and sent it back, an hour later, back again, same issue, so I asked them to bring any and every single disc they were using on the system after they got it back, they excessively complained about my request (expletives are not a good thing to say to someone in charge of your repair bill) but eventually did so, and while they were there in the shop, I checked all their discs on an internet-isolated computer, and hey presto, a CD with a virus (ironically a Norton Antivirus disc!!! Dodgy copy bought off the internet, of course), format, reinstall, check, bill for all three repair sessions applied, red faced customer was never seen again... Grin
So, the moral of the story is, don't blame someone else's service for a fault when it's your computer that's in need of repair... Wink
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: Empirical
Quote from: petecov44

I switched to Plusnet from Virgin media national in Feb and at that point they were still very much in effect then.

You switched just before they removed them which was start of March - oh well
KeyBasher
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
Plusnet does NOT have a spell checker. The spell checker is built in to the browser you are using, so if YOU install the International English instead of the UK English version/dictionary, what do you expect?
(Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/contact-us/general-feedback antd test the spelling in the comments box on there to prove it's not just the Plusnet sites that have an issue)

I didn't know the spell checker was built into the browser. I perhaps should have though, I am suitably ashamed. Thank you putting me right.