Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammer call

BigDaz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Scammer call

Hi. I had a call this morning from an Asian chap claiming to be Plusnet, some nonsense about "upgrading the server in my area". He wanted me to go to my computer and download a tool to give him remote access. I hung up and blocked him.
The phone number was 01476 777653

I originally sent this to abuse@plus.net but got an auto reply that "this mailbox is full and can't accept messages now." 
Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
CharlieBV
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Re: Scammer call

Hi there,

I can advise you to take ''Plusnet Call Protect'' in order to prevent any scam calls as well as having a dial number ''1572'' to block any numbers (It is free of charge).

You may find the guide here https://www.plus.net/help/phone/stop-nuisance-calls/

Hope this help. 

BigDaz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks, I have that set up already.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for posting about this BigDaz, unfortunately it's a pretty common type of call now but at least if they've presented their number before calling it's another one that can be mitigated by blocking and reporting it. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Phaeton
Rising Star

Sorry all is not well in Plusnet towers, you shouldn't be able to receive a call from 01476 777653 if you go to http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm & download the file sabcde14.xlsx it will advise you that 01476 77xxxx is a protected range which means it has not been issued to any Range Holder.

Under Ofcom's updated General Condition 12 which came into place on 1st October 2018 Plusnet should be actively blocking that range. But do they? do they [-Censored-]y, they are not interested so far I've had 5 calls all from protected ranges when mentioned to Plusnet staff they haven't a clue & are not interested. The best thing would be complain to Ofcom that Plusnet are in breach of GC12 & then maybe they would actively do something about these scumbags.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@BigDaz, @Phaeton,

The new Ofcom general conditions that came into force on October 1st do not list themselves under the branding of GCXX any longer. They're under new headings of AX, BX, CX. GC12 that you've quoted was under the heading of billing specifically that of itemised billing. The new set of general conditions can be found here, if you require it. In my opinion the condition that would apply best to this situation would be C6.6 which advises:

C6.6 Where technically feasible, Regulated Providers must:

(a) take all reasonable steps to identify calls, other than calls to Emergency Organisations, in relation to which invalid or non-diallable CLI Data is provided; and

(b) prevent those calls from being connected to the called party, where such calls are identified.

But in this particular situation and many others it is not possible to block the call from being received. This is because often scam calls use spoofing to show unallocated range numbers on caller ID. 

A 'protected' status means that the number is reserved for allocation to public services (government, MOD - hidden secure lines, etc,.), that the range is not yet allocated to an exchange in the area or are held awaiting to be freed up should numbers be required (effectively like backup numbers).

If scammers are calling from an international number and using systems to spoof the number to an unallocated range (which clearly is public information for anyone to see) then phone providers don't have the powers to be able to trace that number to block the information. 

Ofcom themselves provide the information below in relation to this matter:

Nuisance calls and messages

Nuisance calls - phone services that can help

and (specifically in this case) Don’t get spoofed by number scams

The full consumer guide can be found here.

Phaeton
Rising Star

@JOLO

I take you to task over this, you are also incorrect, 

"But in this particular situation and many others it is not possible to block the call from being received. This is because often scam calls use spoofing to show unallocated range numbers on caller ID. "

"If scammers are calling from an international number and using systems to spoof the number to an unallocated range (which clearly is public information for anyone to see) then phone providers don't have the powers to be able to trace that number to block the information. "

The location of the scammers is totally irrelevant, as the call enters your network you are failing in your duty to have all protected ranges either blocked or changing the CLi to a 08979xxxxxx however looking at Ofcom's website Plusnet have not yet applied for a range, unless of course you are hiding under the BT bussel, in which case the number should be changed to 0897912xxxx

You also may wish to read Guidelines for Calling Line Identification Facilities

This is the whole point of the new directive that Plusnet are ignoring

Phaeton
Rising Star

@JOLO

Bad form I know replying to ones own posts, but after a little bit more digging it appears that Plusnet is not a Range Holder, so presumably you are either suballocating numbers from BT IPX or you are not suballocating at all & are just a customer of BT Wholesale, in which case for each of these instances you should be kicking back at BT as to why they are not replacing the CLi.

Another interesting fact is that although all this came into force on 1st October at that time BT did not have an allocated 08979 range, as I have a file downloaded on 12th October & BT were not on the list.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Phaeton

Don't worry about it, just reply to a few more of your own posts and you'll stop caring like I have Smiley

But being a bit more serious, yep CLID has already been hacked. I was getting calls from 0123456789012. Which I suspect is not a real number, and the scammers will only get better at faking the numbers.

Will only be a matter of time before they spoof PlusNet's CS number and if you have used PlusNet's CS (or any company) it will flash up as PlusNet CS, or whatever you have the name saved on your device and people think the call is a leigmate one.

No easy answer to this.

My parents, who is my PlusNet account is with gets them and I wound them up with:

Scammer: "We are calling from BT there is a problem with your internet connection".
Me: "Don't think so I was using it right now and it was fine".
Me: "From what division of BT are you calling from". (I believe there are 3 isn't there? Retail, Wholesale and Openreach?)
Scammer: "I don't understand".
Me: "You don't understand who your employer is?".
Me: "Who is my ISP? It is not BT". PlusNet obviously
Scammer "I don't understand - ISP".
Me: "Internet Service Provider".
Scammer "I don't understand"

Scammer hangs up.

As Mastercard once said - priceless. I love it Grin