cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STAFF - I think Plusnet Hates Me - So Please Help Me Leave

sea138
Dabbler

STAFF - I think Plusnet Hates Me - So Please Help Me Leave

Why are Plusnet support staff so intent on getting you off the phone, so reducing their average call time, rather than helping you with the problem in hand. Wait, reducing their average call time - I think I just answered my own question!!!!
I have now been almost 24 hours without internet access, which was originally caused by a major outage in my area. Not pluset's fault I admit, but not mine either. So when I called a little while ago, I was told that the matter would be escalated and I would have to wait 72 hours before a response is even sent (which will probably be the usual "connect to the test socket" rubbish). I asked what I could do to connect in the meantime and the response was "nothing".
So here I am, connected via mobile broadband, asking what I can do do to leave plusnet? Plusnet obviously doesn't want  my business, so please advise me what I can do to start my migration elsewhere. I have been with Plusnet for about 7 years, but that obviously accounts for nothing.
26 REPLIES 26
nadger
Rising Star

Re: STAFF - I think Plusnet Hates Me - So Please Help Me Leave

Sometimes Plusnet staff visit the forums over the weekend but you may have to wait until Monday for a response.
sea138
Dabbler

Can you believe his - knowing how great the staff are at being inconsistent, I just caled again and was asked by the agent (Steve) to connect to the router with an ethernet cable, log into the router screen, check the log in and encryption details and I connected. My wireless machines have connected too.
Unbelievable!
I understand that Sky Broadband's staff are much more helpful and knowledgeable, which may well have prevented me from having to purchase a wireless mbile package at the weekend.
What are plusnet's views on this before I migrate to Sky Broadband?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I take it you live in the Kent area as the had a major BT outage yesterday on 21CN, from about 1300 to 1930, but difficult if you cant get on to check the status
nadger
Rising Star

Still pays to have an old fashioned dial-up facility to, at least, have access to status reports.
sea138
Dabbler

Sure do live in the Kent area, but having been told to reset the modem to factory settings, nobody went through how to reset it up again, bu instead insisted on escalating the problem as a broadband fault. A complete waste of mine and their own time  Sad
pierre_pierre
Grafter

lets hope JamesH gets to read it and weilds Mand's enforcer then,  lets see what tomorrow brings
JonJon
Grafter

I've had mixed reviews about Sky Broadband (though not tried it myself).  They outsource their call centres to India if that has any bearing on your opinion, whereas Plusnet technical support are all based in Sheffield.
Although I've heard of inconsistent responses of staff before, this forum is usually very useful in either determining how to fix the issue (many helpful people on here will try to guide you in the right direction), or Plusnet staff on here will usually try to resolve the issue before it gets out of hand.  Having worked in IT support myself, I know how difficult it can be to get everyone giving the same responses, but that would probably happen with any ISP you decide to use (before Plusnet, I was with TalkTalk who were notorious for it).
Regarding the outage in Kent, I believe this was a BT Wholesale issue, so you'd have had this issue regardless of which provider you were with (apart from maybe the LLU and cable ones).  Plusnet would have been relying on information given to them by BT, and trying to keep abreast of the situation - there will always be issues from time to time which are outside Plusnet's control.
My advice would be to stick with Plusnet for a while and let them try to resolve any remaining issues, without making a rash decsion.which may end up costing you extra through buying out contracts etc.
mikko
Grafter

Plusnet's customer support is in Sheffield and South Africa, you could get either by calling the 0845 number.
To guarantee speaking to someone in the UK call 0114 296 5098.
I left Plusnet last December to go with an LLU provider but as far as I can see only Plusnet has a forum like this one where you can get really good support (Mon - Fri anyway) where almost always problems are resolved quickly and efficiently (although PN's ticket system is a bit "iffy")
gswindale
Grafter

I thought PN had a free dial up number for occasions like this when the ADSL service suffered a major outage - the customer support team should have been able to provide you with the details to get online?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they have, when you have started on the fault process, it is an 0808 number, but is only valid while the problem is open
avalon
Grafter

It seems your problem was the BT lines in Kent rather than with the part of the network plusnet is responsible for maintaining.  Sure you can move to an LLU provider such as Sky, TalkTalk, etc. but the same sort of thing could happen to their connections from your exchange.  Any other non-LLU ISP would have left you in much the same situation as you were with Plusnet, waiting to be reconnected by BT.  So there is little to be gained from moving just because of the loss of service for a day.
I accept the response from the first support member you spoke to was less than perfect, but if you first phoned only a little while after the outage started it may not yet have reached the service centre that it was a widespread problem.  The person you spoke to may have believed the problem was limited to your line and treated it as such.
sea138
Dabbler

No, there was no mention of me being able to use the 0808 number - infact, when I asked what I could do to get on line in the meantime, the response I received was "Nothing". So where is Mands and her reply?
sea138
Dabbler

And the problem I am referring to is not the outage in Kent, but the fact that my problem was being misdiagnosed more than 24 hours later. Staff just don't want to speak to you and are always in a hurry to get you off the line.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Sea138,
I've asked one of the team to come and reply to you this morning, sorry for the problems you've had.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.