Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Routers

Mentioned several times by others but why are routers not dispatched with a tracking number…

I accept this might add to the cost of postage and cost to customers but think of the time it would save for PN staff….

Confirmation to the customer the router has been dispatched….and if it does not arrive on time then the post office or delivery company is to blame and not PN. 

Using the tracking number customers could clearly see any delays or issues with delivery.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Routers

@gleneagles 

I agree that it would cost extra. I also agree that it might help proportion blame. But if a hub doesn’t arrive then it doesn’t arrive. But, how does the new customer knowing which party screwed up save Plusnet staff time?

The unknown is what proportion of hubs that get delayed/go astray.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

A tracking number is provided by the carriers, if no tracking number was showing then clearly the item has not been posted.

I accept if it’s not been posted then PN would indeed be at fault  but at least the customer would know if it had been sent or not and if sent where it was in the system

We are born into history and history is born into us.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@gleneagles PN router/modems are sent by standard Royal Mail First Class - no tracking.

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I think that was rather the point of the OP @jab1. :winking_face:

I'm not sure it would benefit the customer.

If an item doesn't arrive, it's up to the sender to chase it, tracking or no tracking.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

we don't know how many routers actually go missing though
with a retail price of an extra £1 per router shipped it's probably just not worth it, even at a 10% loss rate (and I doubt it's as high as that.)
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jab1
Legend

Maybe, @198kHz , but the number of 'missing in transit' router reports on here is a little worrying - they seem to have increased in number after the chaos caused by CV19 has somewhat subsided, and as they are, I assume 'locked' to PN/BT , I can't see the demand for them, although I do note that someone said there is a lot for sale?Huh

John
Baldrick1

@jab1 

I’m not convinced that there are a significant number. The non delivery of hubs reported here appear be split between:

1. Those that have automatically not been shipped because Openreach have delayed the go live date and Plusnet have failed to pass this on to the customer.

2. Instances when Plusnet have failed to order the hub.

3. Yes, alleged lost in the post.

I assume that there’s a lot for sale because for a bit more money you can get a superior hub. That’s without all those leaving Plusnet. 

Moderator and Customer

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 You are probably right (1) & (2) are disturbingly regular occurrences,  but I have noticed a couple (3) happening (or so claimed - in one instance three times?Huh

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Some good points raised here. I'm sure our products team are already aware but I'm tagging @bobpullen to pass on the feedback (He may not post but he should get a notification or email)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1

‘Lost in the post’ is an interesting catch all.

Yes no doubt some packages do get lost, dropping down into a black hole, losing labels etc.  but I suspect that the majority are stolen. What we don’t know is where in the delivery process. I once had non delivery of a sound bar. This was tracked to the distribution warehouse, so great, the seller knew where it disappeared but that did not help me, the customer, one jot.

Many of us are fortunate and live in properties with our own front door with a letterbox. However there are properties consisting of flats where deliveries are made to communal areas, there are letter boxes that won’t take a Hub and packages get left on door mats etc. 

I fear that there is no easy solution in these circumstances.

Moderator and Customer

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@jab1 wrote:

@Baldrick1 You are probably right (1) & (2) are disturbingly regular occurrences,  but I have noticed a couple (3) happening (or so claimed - in one instance three times?Huh

Which somewhat points to local "leakage".

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I'm aware of people having relatively large items delivered and left on the doorstep.

The following day the recipient then 'enquires about the delivery of their item' claiming nothing received.

After an appropriate period a replacement is despatched and received, the original item going on an online trading site.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jab1
Legend

@Strat Which is why many couriers now take a photograph of the item on delivery - even if they hand it to you - my Zen router was delivered by DPD and he he took a snap of me holding it. Previously, when restrictions were tighter, DPD, UPS and another courier I cant remember, have taken  the snap in my numbered porch.

John