cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund refused for service that doesn't work

bpdalexander
Hooked

Refund refused for service that doesn't work

Just found out that Plusnet broadband won't work in my house as its FTTP. Plusnet are refusing to refund me as its after the 14 day cooling off period and now want to charge a cancellation fee. I joined on the 17th August and the broadband came online on the 2nd September (conveniently after 14 days). How would I know it wasn't going to work until the 2nd? 

There is no mention of FTTP in the T&Cs

Surely the 14 day cooling off period should start when the service starts.

Customer service rep seemed to delight in quoting the T&Cs at me and repeatedly refused to refund the £22 that I'd paid.

Is it worth all this hassle for £22?

16 REPLIES 16
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Refund refused for service that doesn't work

@bpdalexander  What you have said doesn't make much sense, if you really only have FTTP at your property which is sometimes the case on new developments how did Plusnet provide any service at all, they wouldn't have been able to place an order. What service did you order FTTC or ADSL? If you have a normal telephone line they could have ordered the an ADSL service. Are you saying that didn't work?

The 14 day cooling off period starts the day after you place an order but if Plusnet cannot supply a service they shouldn't be charging you at all, so I am not sure what has happened.🤔

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@bpdalexander To help us help you, can you post the result from this site as a screen grab, ensuring your phone number doesn't show? BT Broadband 

John
bpdalexander
Hooked

Originally I just asked Plusnet to switch my phone and broadband from BT.

I didn't know at the time whether my broadband was ADSL or FTTP - these are terms that I only know now having spoken to Plusnet.

jab1
Legend

If you post the information I asked for above, we will be able to tell you what you can have - if you can't interpret it yourself.

John
bpdalexander
Hooked

adsl.jpg

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Originally I just asked Plusnet to switch my phone and broadband from BT.

@bpdalexander you must have specified which broadband product you required from Plusnet , either Unlimited Broadband, Unlimited Fibre or Unlimited Fibre Extra ? https://www.plus.net/broadband/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bpdalexander
Hooked

Good shout - my order says "Unlimited Fibre" which means that Plusnet should have said that they couldn't provide Fibre to my address

jab1
Legend

@bpdalexander - based on that report, you can get ADSL- at a very low speed, FTTC, again at a low speed - you must be some distance from any BT cabs - or FTTP, which PN don't supply at the moment.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Bottom left of the screenshot it says SOADSL Restriction - yes so doesn't that mean that DSL services are no longer sold due to the availability of FTTP?

In which case PN wouldn't / shouldn't take the order as they don't do FTTP (yet).

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@bpdalexander  When you say PN broadband does not work, where are you trying?

Have you plugged the router into the Master Socket, or better the test socket?

What fault finding has been done?

Clearly you can get FTTC at about 20Mpbs, so it seems there is more to the story than has been mentioned so far.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

From the wholesale checker, the Maxiumum obersered speed seems to indicate that the previous connection was ADSL .

PlusNet can provide FTTC as @jab1  suggests and it looks like that is what they have supplied.

@bpdalexander are you using the Plusnet supplied router or your existing one. If its the existing one, what make and model is it ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

SOADSL Restriction - yes so doesn't that mean that DSL services are no longer sold due to the availability of FTTP?

@RobPN No, it just means you cant order SOADSL i'e ADSL without a landline phone ( which PN cant do anyway!)

bpdalexander
Hooked

Just called back and got full a refund in less than a minute.

Not sure why the first Plusnet person put up such a fight.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @bpdalexander,

I'm really sorry to hear that this wasn't sorted out the first time around, but I'm glad to hear it's sorted now. If there area any further issues then please just give us a shout and we'll be happy to help out.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team