Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received by post this morning

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Received by post this morning

See images.
Why is this in feedback - look at second image.
Why can't Plusnet offer a router which is comparable to the Home Hub
13 REPLIES 13
ffox
Pro

Re: Received by post this morning

What images?  Edit: that's odd - they weren't there on the first reading.  Ignore me.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

They do of course have evidence to support their claim.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Our Customer Options Folk do have a few Thomson TG582n Wireless N Routers that are sent out in certain circumstances. AFAIK we've a *lot* of 585v8's in stock so I'd be surprised if we changed the hardware we send out for a while.
Also worth noting is the fact that we send out 150N Netgear WNR1000's for FTTC Fibre installs.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

lexusuk
Grafter

And the Netgear WNR3500 for FTTP customers.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Which, as has been stated by the BT installer, is absolute rubbish compared to the BT one
I get home to find that there IS an openreach modem plugged in to the dsl socket, with a solid dsl light, but not connected to anything else as apparently 'the box' he brought round didn't work. He's refused to use the PN supplied netgear router as 'its not as fast as the new ones' and 'doesn't match the service' so will come back tomorrow with another router, sourced from who knows where.
  Grin Grin Grin
Oldjim
Resting Legend

More seriously - I don't have and, in the foreseeable future won't be able to get, fibre so I would be stuck with the 545v8 which is why I buy my own routers
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

There's nothing to stop you buying a HomeHub 3 for yourself - I sourced mine from a well-known auction site.
They aren't cheap if you buy from the official source.
godsell4
Rising Star

Are any of those devices DualBand N radios? If not then likely there is not much in any of their claims.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: godsell4
Are any of those devices DualBand N radios?

Pretty sure not.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
grahamt
Rising Star

What is this 'smart wireless' the BT ad talks about? I suspect it's just the router's ability to search for and use the least congested frequency - which the Thomsons do too. As for the Wireless N capability - you only need it if you've got a) FTTC/P and/or b) a house that's big or has thick walls. Otherwise, wireless N just reaches out and interferes with your neighbours' signals, thus increasing their need for 'smart wireless'.
Graham
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As I understand it the Home Hub continuously monitors the available wireless channels and switches seamlessly between them whereas the Thonpson only does it when told do or on a reboot - of course I could be wrong  Embarrassed
lexusuk
Grafter

Following some further digging on this one it appears that the Smart Wireless feature is different from Auto channel selection.
The smart wireless feature can change the channel on the fly if interference on the current channel is detected.  It also differs from Auto channel selection as most routers only look for other wireless networks.  The Home Hub 3 will detect interference from other wireless networks and other devices too.
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: Jaggies
There's nothing to stop you buying a HomeHub 3 for yourself - I sourced mine from a well-known auction site.

I got one from there too but couldn't get it to work.