cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really not happy with this automatic firewall

Barcoding

Really not happy with this automatic firewall

We're really not happy with this Firewall that keeps getting turned on "To protect us".
I have complained about this and been told that it "happens automatically" and there's nothing that can be done to stop it, which I find very odd.
OK - the system emails me to tell me that it's been turned on, and I can then go and turn it off again, but it's too late by then because the damage is already done.
Although it turns on as LOW and the information says "This should have no effect on your business" the reality is that PlusNET don't know what our business is or does, and seem to assume that no businesses need to run networks.
If I turn it off it's because I want it OFF.
We develop software and networked remote-access systems, and a lot of our test equipment out in the field relies on being able to establish inbound connections.  Some of this equipment is out with customers for evaluation, so breaks of service caused by unwanted firewalls springing up with no notice are totally unacceptable, especially when they block inbound port 3306 which is our SQL Server.  We only use this to run test services, but they're still critical and it's not good having to explain to customers that we can't run a stable network.
We have offices elsewhere with broadband from other service providers.  They have firewalls too, but if you turn them off (or ask for them to be turned off) they stay off and we never have any problems.
Apart from that it's a great service, never had any trouble with it, and where we are it's good and fast, but if we can't resolve this we'll have to look at going elsewhere at the end of the current contract because it's not fit for our purposes.
2 REPLIES 2
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Really not happy with this automatic firewall

I think it's usually an open DNS resolver that the system detects and causes the firewall to be switched on.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Really not happy with this automatic firewall

ejs is correct, this normally gets turned on if an open DNS resolve is detected. Ensure that nothing on your network is allowing this and the firewall shouldn't get turned on again.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.