cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raising service issues to BT via PlusNet

trinworthy

Raising service issues to BT via PlusNet

For about 24 hours (approx lunch time Sat 12-02 and 3.00pm ish Sun 13-02) my broadband line was up and running, but with no TCP/IP connection, so I was unable to use the Internet. Phone service was unaffected. The same thing happened overnight last night (internet connection unavailable between 4.45pm 15-02 and 8.45am today 16-02).
On both occasions the same problem affected several of my neighbours. Last night I checked with a friend who has broadband from the same exchange but lives further away and her connection was fine, so the issue wasn't affecting the whole exchange. I have checked the BT list of MSOs and no problems are listed with my exchange (LLANFYLLIN).
On each occasion, I called the PlusNet help desk so that either they could give me some information on when the problem may be fixed (assuming they have this info from BT) or so that they could raise the issue to BT if it wasn't yet being investigated.
On the first occasion, the Call Agent said he had no information about the issue from BT, but he thought another user from the same exchange had logged a problem with PlustNet, so it would be looked into and I would receive a call when it was fixed. I didn't ever receive a call or an update.
Last night, the Call Agent again said PlusNet had no info on the issue from BT but he would not notify my issue to BT because the problem was affecting only one of PlusNet's customers (i.e. me). He advised that I get my neighbours to phone in. I had already asked them to do this, but the ones I know who were affected are all with different ISPs, so how this is going to help I'm not sure if ISPs will not raise an issue to BT without a certain mass of people calling in. I live in a rural area with a relatively small exchange and I  have no way of knowing which other users on the exchange are with PlusNet, plus I don't really have time to be going round to all my neighbours getting them to call their ISPs.
Is anyone from PlusNet able to find out what the issue was on these occasions and/or advise on how I can be sure that BT are aware of any issue the next time this happens if PlusNet aren't going to do it.
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Raising service issues to BT via PlusNet

Hi trinworthy,
I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've been having with this. When looking at your connection logs I can see the following disconnections which don't quite match up with the times you've posted:
disconnections between 10:48 on 12th and 14:39 on 13th and between 16:45 on 15th and 8.37 on 16th
So we may be looking into two separate issues there. However apart from this your connection has been very stable with connections in excess of  6 days, plus if you've not had any other issues with loss of data transfer I'm going to advise that you don't let it concern you but to keep an eye on things.
Obviously do let us know if it starts happening again. One problem I've spotted at our side is that there seems to be some doubt as to how to handle this kind of issue otherwise known as a 'common fault' i.e one that's experienced by a number of different users at the same exchange. With that in mind I'll get some clarification on the process and communicate that to the support centre.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
trinworthy

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the response and for making sure that some aspects of the process are clarified for Call Centre staff there.
Three of the four disconnections you have noted were me disconnecting and reconnecting the router to see if it that would enable me to get back to using the Internet (which it didn't).  Probably not a particularly sensible thing to do, but when no-one else seems interested in the problem it made me feel slightly better at the time. The line itself was up and running and stable, it's just there was no Internet access (although the internet light on the router didn't indicate any problems).
The advise to "not let it concern you" [i.e. me], isn't, however, very helpful to my situation. Not having any internet connection for at least 30 hours out of the past four days is a BIG concern for me, as I'm a freelance writer with frequent deadlines to meet for clients and I need a reliable internet and broadband connection. When things do go wrong with the connection, I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation to at least be able to get some information about the problem and/or be sure that a problem affecting multiple properties will be drawn to the attention of the people who should be able to fix it.
Thanks,
Catrin
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

The advise to "not let it concern you" [i.e. me], isn't, however, very helpful to my situation

Apart from you powering the router off you've been on line for 2 days which does mean its not a problem at the moment, I'm sorry that retrospective issues can't really be investigated unless it's causing ongoing issues which it doesn't appear to be. Give me a shout if you start to have problems with this again and we will jump on it but I can't see that anything needs to be done at the moment. I understand you may be worried about this happening again but rest assured I'll be able to help you if it does.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team