Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product refresh - charge for excess usage

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Product refresh - charge for excess usage

Time and again we see complaints about going over the usage allowance by a small amount incurring a £5 penalty. A product refresh is due later this year. This poll is to allow users to express to Plusnet how we would like to see extra usage charged.
At the moment (on the currently sold products) extra usage is charged £5 for each extra 5GB or part thereof with no carry over of extra allowance, so if go go over by 1GB one month and again the next month you are charged £5 for both months. This is option 1 in the poll.
Carry over would allow for the extra usage paid for to be carried forward and used in following months (so in the example above the user would only pay £5 once and pay no more until the 5GB was all used up). It would be fairer to the user and for Plusnet it has the advantage that they get the money sooner. This is option 2 in the poll.
A hybrid would allow the extra allowance to be carried forward to the following month only, if it wasn't used that month it would be lost as at present. This is option 3.
Option 4 is how it used to be on older products, 1GB chunks (at £1 per GB) with no carry over.
I've added an option 5 to allow for other suggestions. If a suggestion emerges which is popular I will edit the poll (I've already set it to allow you to remove and recast your vote if you change your mind).
Please not this poll is about how extra usage should be charged on products with a set allowance, NOT whether usage should be unlimited. Posting unlimited as a suggestion would not be helpful and I will ask the moderators to remove any post along those lines.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
44 REPLIES 44
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Product refresh - charge for excess usage

'Other', with the specific change being to set the default on additional useage to zero and require user input to allow additional charging.
Additionally some easing of the throttling for over-limit useage so those on a limited budget would be inconvenienced rather than punished when hitting the limit, maybe even with a pop-up when hitting the limit advising why things are running slow but offering to take a payment to cover current billing period only.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

In a way, there is not much difference between option 2 (5GB unlimited carryover) and the 1GB chunks option. In both cases it minimises the loss that the customer faces, in one case by giving  him the usage eventually (when he gets round to needing it) and in the other by reducing the amount he loses to a smaller chunk (assuming that option does not carryover far).
£1 per GB seems pretty expensive (at present I pay £12 for 60GB though do not use them all). To then lose this expensively purchased possession is pretty unreasonable.
I do not accept that the process of extending the allocation costs Plusnet anything real. Sure, a computer clicks and whirrs for a millisecond or so but it was there and turned on in any case running idle cycles - so why should the cost be anything more than the 20p per GB that I pay routinely or whatever the customers normal £ per GB rate is?
Anonymous
Not applicable

It should not be seen as £5 for a little over limit, but a total of say £11.49 (£6.49 + £5) for 10gb plus a bit !
Which is not too expensive at all.
And as has been stated, the information is there, you just have to read it.
It took me all of 5 minutes upon joining to check limits and extra charges !
Personally, I would like to see everyone, especially newbies, not allowed to go over limit, then being sent an automated
"Do you want to go over your limit ? If so... This is what it will cost you"
And possibly allow a "limited" over limit usage for the last few days before monthly refresh.
Say 1GB.

It's a bit like strikers, they don't seem to realise if they want 10% and are offered 8%, they are in fact only going on strike for 2%, not 10% !
dsw
Grafter

I also wonder why the excess usage is priced so highly? It obviously doesn't cost them 5GB for the bandwidth if you can get 60GB for £11.49! I assume this is to encourage people not to go over the limit?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

If you hit your limit a day before the reset and use an extra 250MB that works out in supermarket terminology at £20 per GB Shocked
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ajsvoice
Grafter

Quote from: dsw
I also wonder why the excess usage is priced so highly? It obviously doesn't cost them 5GB for the bandwidth if you can get 60GB for £11.49! I assume this is to encourage people not to go over the limit?

It's a good way to make money  - 10GB is very small in this day and age and easy to go over.
dsw
Grafter

Looking round at other ISPs though they all seem to charge between 50p and £1 for extra usage so PN aren't alone in this.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: EnglishMohican
I do not accept that the process of extending the allocation costs Plusnet anything real. Sure, a computer clicks and whirrs for a millisecond or so but it was there and turned on in any case running idle cycles - so why should the cost be anything more than the 20p per GB that I pay routinely or whatever the customers normal £ per GB rate is?

Plusnet have to buy the capacity on the links from the exchanges to the Plusnet gateways. The cost of increasing that is pretty steep - that's why they have to charge for extra usage - or everybodies connection would slow down at busy times.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: PlusComUK
It should not be seen as £5 for a little over limit, but a total of say £11.49 (£6.49 + £5) for 10gb plus a bit !

On Market 1 its £17.99 for 10GB plus a bit!!! -or upgrade to 60GB for £17.99 - but I know I'd never get near 60GB on a regular basis Cry
avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Plusnet have to buy the capacity on the links from the exchanges to the Plusnet gateways. The cost of increasing that is pretty steep - that's why they have to charge for extra usage - or everybodies connection would slow down at busy times.

I thought BTw's pricing model for ISPs was based on charge/Gb not the amount of available capacity?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

My daughter is within 1GB of her 10GB limit because of the school holiday and has received an email.
Her account resets on the 13th of this month so I have advised her to restrict her son's PS3 activity until then rather than buy 5GB, most of which she won't use.
I have also told her son not to download the new MW3 map package until later in the week. Edit: Fortunately not out until the 15th.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
SNIP

Why?
They are two almost separate transactions. One transaction buys 10GB for £6.49 and the other buys 0.1GB (in the OPs case) for £5. Why on earth should I see it as one transaction of £11.49.
The second transaction is appalling value though it gets a lot better if the OP actually uses the 5GB he has theoretically bought. The problem is that at 1 minute to midnight on the final day of the month using up 5GB is a bit tricky.

EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: jelv

What!!!
Your statement is correct but is a non sequitur to my statement which you quoted. I totally agree that a customer should pay for what they use. They should even pay extra for the trouble they cause by changing their mind. But that extra charge should be reasonable and related to the costs Plusnet incur in handling the change of mind. What I was saying was that that extra should not be very much as the process is undoubtedly totally automated.
Sorry if this is a duplicate. I have typed it once already but it seems to have got lost so trying again.
leng
Grafter

I'm almost invariably well within the limit but occasionally I go over - I think only twice since I went onto fiber.  I'd like to see some mechanism where you are only charged if you exceed the max on a regular basis or your averaged usage over a longer period (3 months maybe) exceeds the cap.