Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems associated with transfer of broadband and phone from another supplier

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Problems associated with transfer of broadband and phone from another supplier

The present Plusnet practice is to move the broadband first as they don't do phone only and only when the broadband is active initiate the phone transfer which is then subject to a mandatory 2 week delay
There appears to be a number of problems associated with that as discussed in this thread http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/unhappiness/t/4298717-re-bt-charged-163-cancellation-fee-because-of... where if broadband is migrated away from BT and the phone doesn't move within 7 days the user is automatically put on a new 12 month phone contract
So my question is why do Plusnet apparently wait two weeks before initiating the transfer or even if this isn't correct and they do it immediately but there is a 2 week delay before the move actually happens how can the user avoid getting stuck with a BT annual contract with the associated cancellation charges
This problem initially came up with moves from Be but then there was a 30 day window however with BT it seems that the window is just too small for the Plusnet  system to work
Of  course the linked post may be wrong but given the fact that Plusnet and BT Retail are part of the same group I think it needs to be investigated and sorted if indeed there is a problem
23 REPLIES 23
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Problems associated with transfer of broadband and phone from another supplier

Is the "mandatory 2 week delay" definitely an OFCOM rule? I have looked on their site and could not find anything.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Re: Problems associated with transfer of broadband and phone from another supplier

A quick search found this http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/telecoms/policy/narrowband/statement.pdf
“ Transfer Period” means the period of 10 Working Days from before a customer’s order can be activated;  
and http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/migration.html#not
Notification of Transfer (NoT)
Notification of Transfer, this is a simple gaining provider led process, where you contact your chosen new provider and order their service. They handle contacting your old provider, who should verify your wish to move by sending out a letter, this gives you a ten day period to cancel the move and avoids slamming.
AndyH
Grafter

I was searching for "migrations" rather than "transfer"  Shocked
So, surely the end user is protected by this part (i.e. the losing cp cannot enter your into a new contract during the 10 working day transfer period):
Where the Losing Communications Provider communicates with the Customer in order to comply with this General Condition, it must not make any marketing statements or representations in the communication which may induce the Customer to terminate their contract with the Gaining Communications Provider and/or remain in a contract with the Losing Communications Provider.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

These sort of issues are presumably only going to get worse are more suppliers are pushing you to take both services from them.  Cry
It does however make me glad that I keep mine separate, especially as I'm about to move one service in the near future.  Cool
In particular this would seem to relate to some of the issues that have been seen with people moving from BeThere to PlusNet when both services are transferring and/or there's an upgrade to FTTC.  Crazy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think the problem stems from Plusnet's non-use of simultaneous provide. They could easily comply with the 10 day rule by scheduling it for 10 working days ahead.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The wording says that  there needs to be 10 working days between notifying the losing telco and actually transferring service so, presumably, PN only notify the losing telco when the broadband has successfully moved over, rather than when the initial order is placed.  Quite why this is the case only they can answer!
AndyH
Grafter

Looking through the BT terms, you are not committed to another 12 month term once you have finished your minimum term (12 months for BT telephone lines):
Once we have provided the service, you may tell us to stop providing it at any time by giving us 30 days' notice. We will accept notice via a range of methods including phone, e-mail, online chat and in writing. You can contact us to give notice using any of the contact details set out on your last BT bill or any other means of contact we have given you, for that purpose. If you are switching to another provider through an approved process, the notice you must give us will be 14 days. We can stop providing the service to you by giving you 28 days' written notice.

We will normally bill you upfront (in advance) for any rental charges for the service. We will bill you later for any usage charges for your communications services. If possible, charges will appear on your next bill, but sometimes charges may appear on a later bill.

If you or we end the agreement for the service, we will pay back to you any money we owe you relating to that agreement. We will first take off any money you owe us under that agreement or any other agreement between us.

I think the confusion maybe comes, from being billed by BT for another 12 month period (if you pay annually), during the transfer period? This is not a new contract and they are within their right to do this. They will refund you the amount you've paid less the extra days used before the service was transferred.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The problem appears to be that when cancelling a broadband + phone contract by migrating the broadband they then start you on a new phone contract
AndyH
Grafter

But they appear to be separate contracts - telephone and broadband. There is certainly nothing I could see in their T&Cs that would allow them to tie you into a new phone contract when migrating broadband and phone. In theory, anyone paying upfront for telephone should moving to a rolling one month contract after the 12 month minimum term has passed.
I also think Ofcom banned auto-renewing contracts. BT have stated they do not use them anymore - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10757/c/
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Have you read the link in the first post
AndyH
Grafter

Yes, but there are two very different things on there.
1) Adding or changing packages - resulting in a new contract with minimum terms
2) Migrating voice/broadband outside of a minimum contract term and being auto-renewed to a 12 month voice contract (because the broadband has been migrated, but voice has not due to the 10 working day transfer period) - this should not happen
Edit: I should add - that calling plans can be longer than the 12 month minimum line rental term. Calling plans can vary from between 1 to 18 months. Some of these used to have auto-renewals, but I believe BT stopped them. These should not affect migrating though if you move outside of a contract term.
BT cannot put you on a new 12 month line rental tariff if you were on a bundled broadband + phone package, just because the broadband has moved and you're still awaiting the phone transfer. This surely has to be a mistake or problem with BT's computer billing systems.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is indeed the question or they are trying it on
AndyH
Grafter

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Not strictly as it isn't a rollover contract but a condition of only having home phone
I think it is all wrong but then again I am not an expert