Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Since House Move

BugsyMalone
Dabbler

Problems Since House Move

Hi
I have just finished reading birdmans thread and I'm having the exact same problem he is having ( And a couple more that posted in his thread )
I've been with PlusNet for just under 6 years now. I've had a few problems now and then but nothing extreme.
Recently I moved back in with my parents, so I had to get a house move. And as I had already used up my free house move I  paid for this one. On the date my line was meant to be live, I wasn't. So I called up PlusNet to see the hold back and was told to try again tomorrow. Did so, and no luck. So called again to see what was up. If it wasn't working by the next day, I should call up. A few hours later I get a ticket saying there was an error on PlusNets part and they'd give me 2 weeks credit for the mistake. Which I tried to get longer but you guys wouldn't have any of it. After alot of tickets, I found myself very frustrated and angry at some of the replies. Which is bad considering I'm the customer and I shouldn't be feeling like this !
After a further 7 days, I still wasn't live so I called up, while on hold, I was cut off, which wasn't the first time It's happened with you guys. I called up again and spoke to someone. There was some confusing as why I wasn't receiving the connection as it had been made live. After a router re-boot, my PPP light was now on and my connection was fine !
Thats when I started noticing connection problems, random moments my connection would go down and start back up. I had speed tests and everything was fine. I gave it some more time to pass but it wouldn't go away so I started up a ticket.
After initial checks had came back clear, I had to do a Broadband Faults Check, which came back a fail. You guys contacted to get interleaving done on my phone line to see if the fault would show up.
It is stated that it can take upto 5 days to take effect, after a few days the result was they couldn't find any fault. And that I had to do a number of things, unplug all equipment and what not. I have done this. The only thing in my socket is for the broadband.
I had zero problems at my old address, same router and it's even further away from the exchange than the address I am living at right now ( which used to be my 1st address from the beginning ) and is only 3/4 a mile from the exchange.
I raised a ticket again expressing what I had done and if there was anymore tests I could do before being hit with a £144 bill from BT for not doing something I should have. But I have no reply. The ticket response from you guys is terrible some times.
Please can someone look into it for me. I feel like I'm about to go down the road as Birdman !
12 REPLIES 12
James
Grafter

Re: Problems Since House Move

Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear that things haven't been great since you moved house.
Just so we can cover some bases, could you let us know if you have treid using a different microfilter and/or router? I appreciate that these worked fine at your last address, but it is possible one developed a fault.
BugsyMalone
Dabbler

Hi there. I have tried another microfilter and nothing at all. I can't try another router as I don't have any. The router is only 15+ months old and hasn't gave me any problems. It's an eTec one.
James
Grafter

If you like, we can lend you one to test.
Whilst it may well not be the case, i is possible that it is the router, and we have to check prior to getting BT involved.
BugsyMalone
Dabbler

I'll try and get a loan of one first, just incase I get one, save you guys the hassle.
I'll be in touch.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:Problems Since House Move

Hi Bugsy, thanks for letting us know. Post back if you can't get hold of one, you could test your own router on a different line as that would also show if the router's faulty or not but we'll happily send out a test one if you need.
BugsyMalone
Dabbler

Thanks for the heads up. I'm waiting on my mate finishing work and seeing if he has a spare router. But if not, I might ask him to check mine.
I will let you know tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks
BugsyMalone
Dabbler

Ok, I tried another filter and also another internet cable tonight. Me and my friend tried a different router, we used a TalkTalk one, after installing it and setting it up, it connected and was saying Showtime for the adsl part, and also showing me the speeds my connection should be getting.
But the PPP part wouldn't connect, and I was 99% sure it was the correct password.
I had mentioned that the phone line makes a cracking noise when in call, so he reckons it's the phone line thats damaged.
I know someone that used to work with BT so I will try and call him tomorrow to see what he suggests is the case and I'll get back to you.
In the mean time, if anyone has the settings for a TalkTalk router, please let me know, just incase our settings are different. I wanna atleast try and get it tried on a different router before getting a BT engineer out. The router is a SmartAX MT882 that I have borrowed
Thanks.
BugsyMalone
Dabbler

I am just off the phone with Plusnet. I am going to test the BT test socket when I get home from work.
James
Grafter

Thanks for the update.  Sounds like a sensible next step.
BugsyMalone
Dabbler

You'll never guess what !?
Download speed : 2750 kbps (344kB/s)
Upload speed : 380 kbps (47.5kB/s)
I have the line going into the BT test socket which is located behind the front panel of the master socket. I picked up my phone to see if the buzzing noise was still there, it is, so I wasn't expecting to see my speed back to how it was.
Looks like a quick phone call to BT is in order.
Thanks PlusNet for dealing with me throughout this problem
James
Grafter

Excellent - Thanks for letting us know and do please keep us updated Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and dont mention Broadband when you complain about the noisy line