cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with new landline and fttc install

Steve22
Dabbler

Problem with new landline and fttc install

Please could someone have a look at ticket 64852552 as I should've had an update yesterday?
Is there any way that this can be escalated with Openreach for them to provide a date to complete the work?  It is over 2 weeks since my landline and FTTC were supposed to be installed and it appears that nothing is now happening?
I did receive an e-mail yesterday saying how wonderful my line was performing over the last 2 weeks despite the fact it is not even physically installed yet!!  Shocked
Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Problem with new landline and fttc install

Hi,
Sorry to hear about this. I'm going to read through the ticket now.
I did receive an e-mail yesterday saying how wonderful my line was performing over the last 2 weeks despite the fact it is not even physically installed yet!!

I suspect that may be due to human error or perhaps a problem with automation so sorry for any confusion about that.
I'll get back to you again as soon as I can.
EDIT:
I've just spoken with our suppliers, as you should be aware some ducting needs to be laid before you can be provided with a service. A survey needed to be done to assess a number of things to allow the work to be planned out. The planning is now complete and is due to be done on 11/2/13.
I'm sorry about the long wait but unfortunately measures such as this are necessary to provide a service sometimes.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Steve22
Dabbler

Hi Adam,
Thanks for following this up for me.
I am not too concerned about the delay so long as Openreach are doing something, even if not immediately evident and they have to be chased for updates.
Steve22
Dabbler

The ducting work has finally been completed.
I tried to arrange an engineer for 13th (earliest on the system) but this has been moved to 14th Feb which I can't make.  Has anyone had any success with getting engineers out on a Saturday or Sunday?
I've also been told today that I have to re-order FTTC once the line is installed so yet another engineer visit and probably a further 10+ day wait..
I'm starting to regret coming back to PlusNET.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

once the line is installed so yet another engineer visit and probably a further 10+ day wait..

Sorry about the wait, this has happened as we need to have a completed phone order in place before ordering fibre for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pod000
Grafter

Steve22 I would make sure that Plusnet have cancelled the old fttc install or you will have to wait even longer. My install failed on the 29th of January and as of yesterday no one at Plusnet had checked to see if the old order had been stopped. When Plusnet tried to reorder my Fttc appointment they couldn't and told me it should be cleared in 24 hours. This should of been done sometime in the proceeding  6 weeks..
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

FYI the fibre order is already in a cancelled state.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pod000
Grafter

That's fortunate.
Steve22
Dabbler

@pod000 - Thanks for the tip and i glad that _Adam_Walker_ has confirmed that it won't be a cause of further delays.  I hope that your re-order gets into the system and you will soon be using your connection!
@_Adam_Walker_ - How long is it likely to take for the FTTC order to complete and for me to finally be able to use it once the land line is installed, assuming no further delays?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Steve22,
I can see the phone line is due to be installed on the 15th, as soon as that's done we should be able to place the order for fibre though how long it will be will depend on engineer availability. I'd hope it'd be not much longer than ten days but can't make any promises I'm afraid.
Steve22
Dabbler

Hi Matt Taylor,
Thanks that was what I thought.  What criteria would need to be met to request expedited installations?  I see that this is sometimes available to some of the users posting on here.
As this now looks like it will run on beyond my next billing date, what is the best way to prevent another months fees being taken for this?  I tried unsuccessfully to prevent this happening last month despite raising it twice before the bill was generated.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there,
expedites are offered by our suppliers only under certain sets of circumstances where actions carried out by them would have directly caused an issue with your order. As the cause of the delay was out of their control this hasn't been offered in this case I'm afraid.
what is the best way to prevent another months fees being taken for this?

This won't be what you want to hear but I feel it best to forewarn you, that can't be stopped I'm afraid. I'd advise allowing the payment to clear now and we can then credit you accordingly when we know that you're back online.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Steve22
Dabbler

Hi Adam,
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
expedites are offered by our suppliers only under certain sets of circumstances where actions carried out by them would have directly caused an issue with your order. As the cause of the delay was out of their control this hasn't been offered in this case I'm afraid.

I accept that the initial problem preventing installation was out of their control.  However, had they correctly processed the solution for the problem during their first 2 visits they could have done all of the work in one go.  There was a delay of about 2 weeks whilst they organised further ducting to be installed.
The first engineer had commented that there were no spare pairs for part of the run further down the street.  He also said that he could trace only one of the wires in the pair between my house and the joint box in the street.  When the spare pairs issue was resolved (new ducting and cable) the engineer tried to connect it to the pair coming in to my house and identified the same problem with the cable from my house to the street joint box as the first engineer.  The resolution would be to install new duct and cable from the joint box to my house.  I believe that both of these issues should've been resolved at the same time given that they were both identified at the same time.  Presumably had this been done in one visit, the order would be complete now and I wouldn't have to wait for the landline to be installed and then wait again whilst a new fibre order is processed?
Why has the fibre order been cancelled, has it expired timewise?  Why can't a simultaneous provide be requested this time as it was when I first placed the order?  I'm sure that these will be down to your suppliers processes but it would be good to understand what the reasons are.

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
I'd advise allowing the payment to clear now and we can then credit you accordingly when we know that you're back online.

Back online - I've never been online!  My issue with this is that I've paid for the first month when I ordered, been charged for a second month and now looks like having to pay for a 3rd month without ever having had a service.  Why should I have to wait for the amounts to be credited when the only beneficiary here is Plusnets cashflow: at the detriment of mine!  I've raised a new ticket to request a refund for the second month.  As for the third month could a credit be applied to my account before the next bill is generated to prevent the payment being taken?  The amount paid when I signed up will still cover my first months service.
I do appreciate the time you are taking to help here.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

As for the third month could a credit be applied to my account before the next bill is generated to prevent the payment being taken?  The amount paid when I signed up will still cover my first months service.

We certainly can refund you but I'm we're only able to put discounts in place against broadband subscription and not line rental, however if you'd like us to do that I'll make sure that we do.
Just to go back to your other points the reason we can't do a simultaneous order is, as the name suggests it would mean phone and broadband being installed on the same date, when a delay on the phone order ocurrs that will usually cause the broadband order to be cancelled rather than delayed. It's not the way we'd rather things work to be honest which is why we have to work around this in the way we are at the moment.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Steve22
Dabbler

New phone line got installed on 15th March and today, 27th, was fibre install day.  High expectations as the engineer turned up just after 8.30 but it went rapidly downhill as he had to abandon the install just after 9 due to the lack of sync speed.  When the new line was installed the checker said I would get 13.6 but all it could do today was 3.5  Sad  Not sure what will happen next, I spoke to CS this afternoon and they have passed it on to the priority team and I am awaiting a call back.
Interestingly when the new cable was installed for the PlusNET phone line the sync speed on my BE ADSL line dropped from 5.5 to 3 (no change in attenuation 51 or noise margin 3 though) when it was moved on to the same incoming cable.