cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro Add On - Do I need to do anything else

phil4
Grafter

Pro Add On - Do I need to do anything else

I added Pro Add on to my account yesterday.... didn't notice any improvements.
I'm on FTTC, is there something else I'm supposed to do?
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Pro Add On - Do I need to do anything else

How are you looking for improvements and what are you checking?
There should be nothing further that you need to do.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mikeyriot
Grafter

Nope, it should be instant.
There have been cases where it hasnt applied correctly, although rare. If thats the case then a rep will pick it up. But its more likely you didnt notice because throttling isnt too bad for the casual user on FTTC, you'd probably only notice it on p2p.
phil4
Grafter

Downloading a file from thinkbroadband, before addon was doing ~1800KB/sec, after applying, the very same speed.  Appreciate it could have been them, so a few other speedtests:
mybroadband speed - 12Mbps
Speedtest.net - 13Mbps
In short, not seeing anything much above 14Mbps, in short not even close to 37/40.
Ie. doesn't look to be doing anything.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Your surfing will be "line speed" anyway.... the "Pro addon" is only if you want to P2P or do things which are restricted during peak times, at line speed.
Selecting your product here will show you expected speeds
With the PRO addon, you get "line speed" all day, every day (provided you dont exceed your allowance)
Regards

edit: being on FTTC, 14meg is pretty slow... done a BT speedtest to see what the profiles are set to?
phil4
Grafter

Yeah, BT speedtester lists the profile as 38717K, and when tested typically achieves 34-36 (just tested and was 35713), whereas as listed, everything else seems to be around 14.
PUG Lists surfing as 20M limited from 6pm-11pm, which was what I was hoping Pro addon would speed up, and as seen, doesn't look like it is.
matt_2k34
Grafter

"browsing" wont use 20meg... You'd need some pretty intense "browsing" to use that much...
You'll probably not notice any difference unless your downloading from a HTTP server, or doing a speed test.
PRO isnt a "magic go faster stripe" - it just puts the connection to line speed at all times. PN shaping isnt as drastic as people think - in many cases (browsing) it wont make a difference.
Regards