Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price increase

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Price increase

Apologies if this has been announced elsewhere.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5822287

10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Price increase

Guess you are oldagetraveller over there.

If you look, you’ll find that the increase is to phone line charges (not broadband as that topic suggests) and the line charge part of the cost structure is the same as TT’s prices from (IIRC) 14th Feb. Yes you can get the phone line element cheaper else where, but it looks like all of the players have a £1 pcm price hike in place ... or in the pipeline.

Edit: Memory playing tricks on me again! Embarrassed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

in a statement Plusnet said, “Over the past year we’ve been working really hard to make improvements to our products and services that will make your experience as a Plusnet customer better

Investing in our customer service to make sure we’re available to answer your calls or chats at our UK call centres is a priority for us. We’ll soon be expanding one of our UK sites to make sure we’re on hand when you need us the most.”  ?  

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/04/isp-plusnet-confirm-2018-round-of-annual-broadband-pri...

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ron,

That article goes on to say...

Most of the major ISPs have already announced similar price increases for this year and in fairness Plusnet’s rise is smaller than many of those. One reason for price rises like this is because we’re all consuming much more data than before and providers have to compensate for the flexibility of their “unlimited” allowances somewhere. Likewise the loss of revenue from calling (a service in decline) has a role to play too.

At the same time providers are also under lots of pressure to adopt various new rules and regulations, such as the system for sending millions of copyright warning emails / “subscriber alerts” (here). Not to mention new internet snooping measures (here), plans for automatic compensation (here) and tougher requirements on broadband speeds (here), as well as the need to introduce new content or services.

I went and re-read the brief - indeed the change is to the broadband component - not phone line.  I guess this is a first move to addressing the perception that phone only users (clearly not Plusnet customers) have been subsidising internet costs! 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

It had to happen sooner or later. But what happens if a person signed up for..let's say 18 months..and was quoted £25 a month ( for example), will the £1 increase still go ahead even though the price quoted was for the length of contract?

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

PlusNet prices are never fixed for the duration of the contract.  Looks like they do get some protection if they have very recently signed up.

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/2018-pricing-changes-new/

On 5th June 2018 we'll be making a few changes to our prices. If you sign up between the 4th March 2018 and 4th June 2018 you will not be affected by any price increase to your broadband product (unless you re-contract or change your product before the 5th June).

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I had to leave before i had finished completely  Lips_are_sealed

i had meant to highlight the fact PN say   "We’ll soon be expanding one of our UK sites"   

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well AT LONG LAST they are making CID FREE! About time to.
Too bad I will probably be leaving shortly after it goes free!
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

So, non-inclusive landline phone charges go up yet again - this can only accelerate the switch to mobile and internet voice calling and decrease revenues still further. How will they recoup that lost income I wonder. Undecided

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

A two-letter answer: TV

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That is a different subject, but very relevant.

As was widely criticised when the TV services were introduced, the objection of many (myself included) was that we would all end up paying for others to gorge on boring football.  Really is time that the full cost of consuming sport on TV was paid in full by the consumers of the same and not everyone else.