Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premium charges for 'Free' Helpine

FIXED
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Premium charges for 'Free' Helpine

I understand what you say, but as I said in a previous post, I always check for a national or cheap-rate number if the one I have is potentially going to cost me. I wasn't aware that 0845 numbers have ever been free though.

John
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Fix

Hi @publisher,

Thanks for your response.

I'm aware that the 0845 number still routes through to our customer support centre, but take on board that it would be helpful to have a recorded message to state that calls to the number are chargeable and that we offer a free of charge 0800 number. I'll pass this feedback on.

I've had a further look into your query and have added a ticket to your account with some more information here:https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=171718629.

Kind regards,

Emily

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@EmilyD - thanks.

John
publisher
Hooked

Emily,

thank you for that, my faith in Plusnet is restored.  I think a positive action to prevent customers from using the old 0845 number will mean that potentially other customers, (especially the elderly like myself)  will avoid the un-necessary premium charges.

Thank you.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@publisher wrote:

I must have got it from Plusnet, it connects me to Plusnet, it certainly was a Plusnet Helpline number at some time. 

21 years, originally signed up the first time (Force 9) in 1997

If I change my number I don't expect people to be able to contact me on the old one.

Is it possible that you got this number from old information you have acquired over the years?  A quick Google for that number shows THIS PAGE as the only recent presence of this number on the internet. Cool_smiley

0845 number are virtual ones mapping on to a real number, closing them out might be seen as being unfriendly and call charges are clearly published by all phone providers.  This is clearly not an 0800 number (which are free) nor a geographic number (01 / 02 / 03) which are usually included in normal call plans.

It looks as though you've taken the "Free helpline" message associated with the currently published phone number ... but still gone and used something you saved years ago, not giving consideration to the fact that an 0845 number might not be included in MOBILE call tariffs, even if it is often included in land line call plans.

May be you need to take this complaint to your phone company and ask why do they charge so much for a call to a number so many phone service providers include within the phone plan package.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

publisher
Hooked

I am sorry but I disagree. It is my view that the company to whom the number is allocated is Plusnet, therefore they have a responsibility to make sure that customers can no longer use it if they (the company) have chosen to employ a free option. To leave the number still connected to and answered by the company means it is still operational.

I am aware that other companies that used 0845 numbers in the past provide a recorded message to callers telling them to use an alternative number. A simple solution.

I am happy to report that Plusnet's private response to me seems to endorse my view, they have kindly offered to refund my costs and look at ways of ensuring that customers cannot use that number in future.  I am very happy with Plusnet's response.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Calls charges to 0845 and other numbers changed in 2015. They are not free to anyone. You can find out more from OFCOM, or mobile and phone providers. This is no doubt when PN stopped using it and published the 0800 numbers.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Mr Google says ,, Using 0845 numbers for customer service lines is now forbidden by law

https://www.area-codes.org.uk/0845-numbers.php

So Really PN should have cut this line off  Undecided Even though its not advertised if its still live its a BIG bo bo by PN Crazy3

Contact centres are facing a major change on 13th June 2014. From this date onwards, it will be illegal to provide an 0845, 0870 or a similar number for a customer service line.

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Mr Google also has no recent reference to this number so where the heck did the OP find it?

Its nice to see that Plusnet have done the OP proud by refunding the cost but it's not rocket science knowing what a call will cost.

publisher
Hooked

The ordinary man in the street doesn't know that.

publisher
Hooked

If you want to know what a call costs you have to actively make specific enquiries, it would be a sad world if we have to do that every time we make a phone call.

AsI have stated previously, above, I am very happy with the PN response.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@Browni  the OP had the number saved in his phone , the thing is this number Should have NOT  been answered by Plusnet

It should be a discontinued line , the minimum should have been a answered message saying its a incorrect number and use the 0800 number .

How many more older customers have this number saved ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Looking back through the thread it's unclear where he got the number from although he's in for a surprise when he tries to spend one of those white fivers he's got tucked away in the back of his wallet Grin
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

@Browni

We all get old, if we are lucky. Roll_eyes

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I hardly ever use such numbers and this was years back and it may have changed.

When I was Vodafone and called an 0800 (should be free) number, this was just for a cab - it used to warn me that the call is chargeable press a button to continue if I am fine with it.

Bit bad of your phone company to not inform you of the charges - i.e. it is not coming out of inclusive or unlimited minutes, in my opinion.