Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible move from Tiscali to PN

stallan
Grafter

Possible move from Tiscali to PN

Hi,
Family friend wants to move away from Tiscali. Originally he was going to go to BT Broadband (and phone package), but BT made such a hash of it he ended up canceling the deal and stayed put with Tiscali. Now he's thinking about it again, I'd like to get him over to PN (I know he'd like the forums and the service from some of the senior PN staff). So, I wondered if a few of his/,y questions could be answered.
1. He is currently on Tiscali for phone and Broadband. He can't run the BT speedtester, so I assume he's on LLU. I assume this means he needs a BT line - what is the cost and timescales ?
2. Does he need to get anything like a MAC from Tiscali ?
Not sure on the product he wants, but I think ADSL2+ (he can see the exchange from his house).
Regards,
John
21 REPLIES 21
Mand
Grafter

Re: Possible move from Tiscali to PN

Hi there,
1) At least 3 weeks, but actual gap in service will be approx 1 hour on changeover day. We'd do a simultaneous phone and broadband order, so they'd both go live at the same time. We're currently doing number ports for free (usual cost is £49.99).
2) Nope, it's a new line from the Openreach/Wholesale side of things, so won't need a MAC.
Re ADSL2+, this is only available on Premium or Pro.
dustymil59
Grafter

From my experience I would find someone other than plusnet.
My connection has been a disaster my day one, they took over a month to get my telephone across from talk talk, then forgot my broadband, which took another 10 days, finally got it all, but very slow, bought 20mb, even TT could get nearly 10mb, plus net only get 3mb, just found out I'm not on adsl2, so another 5 days, assuming they don't c*ck up again.
On top of all that they took over £45 out of my bank account, took 9 days to raise a credit note, god only knows when it'll arrive back in my account?. And all they can say, in an accent I struggle to understand, is "it was a mistake".
If I could turn back time and not be with plusnet I would. It's your choice. Sad
dustymil59
Grafter

Mand,
That's not correct as you well know, it takes PN 10 days to get BT to take the line back then a further 5 days for "provisions" to get broadband on.
Why can't we have the truth?
torbayguy
Grafter

Hi Stallan.
I am currently 2 weeks in to a change from Tiscali to PN premium.
The PN staff have been amazing, and are progressing well with my order.
The problem I have though, is related to Tiscali.
As soon as they got the request to port my number they placed restrictions on my broadband and phoneline.
Typical Tiscali wouldnt you say?
dustymil59
Grafter

According to PN, the problem is always with someone else, why is it that PN do not contact their new customers and inform them what is happening, why leave it until customer contacts them. Why is it my phone was terminated by previous ISP (TT) and not taken up by PN until a week later....whole thing stinks
stallan
Grafter

thanks for the replies guys...  Now I've been with PN for ages and personally always rated them. I did consider moving ISP a few months back and that was based purely on cost alone and nothing to do with service. Decided to stay (partly because I got a free house move in sept 2009) as my line in the new house had become stable under ADSL2+ and probably mostly due to the PN Staff that are in these forums.
there is no doubt the frontline people need education and the backroom folk are those that keep subscribers in the way the resolve MOST of the issues. Furthermore, from what I read on tickets they also prompt feedback for education on frontline staff so hopefully that has a chance of changing.
As for my friend (who now has this thread), I think he should move out of Tiscali and in my view the best ISP to do that is with PN and Mand and the Guys. His experience of BT Broadband Customer Service was not good. At least with the PN backroom staff they want to try to resolve your issues!
Still looking forward for a comment from Mand regarding Dustymil59
stallan
Grafter

@torbayguy - can you expand on the 'restrictions'
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: dustymil59
Mand,
That's not correct as you well know, it takes PN 10 days to get BT to take the line back then a further 5 days for "provisions" to get broadband on.
Why can't we have the truth?

Hi there,
It is correct, and should be standard process. I tend to be quite frank (as you'll see in my posts here).
We're all human, and mistakes do happen, but where would the benefit be of me telling lies in public where everyone can refer back to it?
Mand
Grafter

dustymil59,
As discussed, your experience is very much the exception rather than the norm. I'll happily take over from here, and make sure your problems are sorted ASAP.
Mand
Grafter

@torbayguy, your services with Tiscali should remain until the transfer is complete, that's the purpose of the number port process.
stallan
Grafter

@Mand - thank you for the replies. Am I correct in saying that the Premium package ends this month or am I having a dream?Huh
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it doesnt end, it becomes a heritage product that wont accept new customers after 11th April
torbayguy
Grafter

Well, I spoke to Tiscali, what a shower of you know what!
They said because the number port was requested my broadband has been restricted and my phone put to incoming calls only so they can raise a final bill!!
I asked them to reinstate service until I ask for it to be stopped, they said they will happily do that if I agree to a NEW talktalk 24month contract!!
So Im without service until 1st April.
I must stress though, it IS NOT the fault of PlusNet.
stallan
Grafter

Report the cowboys to OFCOM.  Cancel all direct debits/standing orders with them - just don't tell them.