Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor service! Not happy.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Poor service! Not happy.

After the notice about line rental going up, I inquired when would the LRS take effect if I purchased it, I was told it would take effect on my next bill (TODAY!) so I purchased LRS just before the delay was announced (14/10).
Today I get a bill for Line rental WHAT!!!!!!
I JUST PAID THAT LAST WEEK FOR A YEAR! (And only then because the SMALL print in the fibre upgrade meant it would cost me MORE to leave)
Not HAPPY AT ALL WITH PN.
Crappy routers and now this.
1st router can't even send streaming audio over wifi.
2nd router DNS failed on local dhcp names.
NB I DON'T WANT ANOTHER 582n I WANT A WORKING ROUTER!
jim:red All caps in title removed as per Forum Rule mod:end
12 REPLIES 12
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Poor service! Not happy.

I've got one of the team figuring out what's happening with Line Rental Saver at the moment, he's also refunding the line rental charge for this month.
With regards to the routers, it works as desired for the vast majority of customers (myself included), however as with everything it might not be suitable for all.
Remember that most people just use it out the box without changing DHCP addresses. I know it's not ideal but you could source your own router that's more suited to your needs?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

1. The have offered a refund. I want this refunded to my BANK, not to my account.
2. I haven't changed anything on the router. ALL my other routers offered the simple dns update from dhcp, why does this one not?
On my old ST716 (another thompson router) it did it, and issued a .lan dns address, my HH2 did it and issued a .home dns. This one issues (or NOT) .lan dns addresses but refuses to transfer from dhcp name to dns name.
Over the past 10+ years all the routers I have had have done this, why does this one not?
As to my PURCHASING a new router will you accept this one back, paying for p&p and refund my payment of it? (It certainly will NOT be this month given the LRS payment and now this £13 extra you have just taken)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Hairy
On my old ST716 (another thompson router) it did it, and issued a .lan dns address, my HH2 did it and issued a .home dns. This one issues (or NOT) .lan dns addresses but refuses to transfer from dhcp name to dns name.

I've got a Netgear DG834v1. If I do a DNS lookup for my local machine names it doesn't respond. In any case I prefer to set the DNS servers on the PCs and not use the router for DNS.
To resolve local machine names I've given them all fixed IPs and then added lines to lmhosts on all machines. E.g.
192.168.0.105 PCname1 #PRE
192.168.0.106 PCname2 #PRE

As I have a separate switch connecting all the PCs (actually a SamKnows monitoring box) the router doesn't actually have to be on to connect to local machines by name.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I don't WANT to have to maintain a hosts file, lmhosts is M$ only BTW, I map drives by name/share and have been happily using name.lan/share for years (or name.home/share when I used the HH2).
If you go to the dhcp leases (on most routers) and change the name from mac-address-combo to NAME, then you can usually ping NAME.lan (or whatever the router uses for the local lan) from any device that gets an ip address. This means if you have a printer you can map to ipp:/printer rather than search for its ip address.
It has only been with THIS router set that I have had issues.
Chris says they have many happy users of the router, but how many make more than 30% use of it (get an ip addy and dns connection and off they go) ?
I don't think that I am being unreasonable here, the router handles dhcp & dns, why are they not linked?? Dynamic update of dns has been a feature of most routers since the early days of ADSL.
There are MANY threads on here about how POOR these routers are but we are FORCED TO BUY THEM when we order fibre.
joncooper
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
... but we are FORCED TO BUY THEM when we order fibre.

really? that bothers me, I want FTTP as soon as it becomes available here, but I have no use for a 4 port router, will I be forced to pay for something I don't want?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

It depends what you mean by buy...
Wireless router included
We'll supply an easy setup wireless router worth £40 (P&P £4.99).
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HairyMcbiker
All Star

By buy, I mean I had to shell out £4.99 for this useless router, it was NOT optional. They also charge your account with £40 (for this router) if you leave before 12months, and £25 deferred install charges if you cancel your home phone in the same time (This was NOT mentioned at sign-up BTW!)
So as I see it
Quote from: Chris
I know it's not ideal but you could source your own router that's more suited to your needs?

As I said on another thread I have sourced a Netgear router, and now want to return this one for a FULL REFUND (Including both p&p charges incurred and charged already and the deferred £40) as it is clearly NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE under the SOG act.
joncooper
Grafter

so, £5 up front and £40 deferred against the account? for something I won't use and don't want? that right?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Yep, you HAVE to pay the £4.99 up front for the router, and £40 is added to your account in a differed manner. When you order fibre there is NO option NOT to have the router, unlike adsl.
Chris
Legend

@Hairy Biker,
Let me pick this up tomorrow and get in touch.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Thanks Chris.
Chris
Legend

I've put a closed ticket on your account, hopefully that'll sort this out for you.