Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Service and lack of updates on delayed house move activation

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Re: Poor Service and lack of updates on delayed house move activation

From what I can see the troubleshooter raised this ticket on your account at the time of running the test.

It reported the fault through to our suppliers and an engineer is currently assigned to the job.

Let us know how it goes over the course of today.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
blackballfoo
Dabbler

Engineer was called out and fixed a problem at the cabinet. Think something was missed in the initial work. I can phone through to my answer machine / call blocker at home so must all be working.

Thanks for finally giving me the information needed to resolve this @Gandalf and everyone else for helping out. I do think there are a few improvements needed in terms of communication out to customers who are either joining or moving house. 

Lastly I tested the broadband speeds against the average of 32MB/s seems I'm getting  around 16MB/s not sure if that requires further investigation or if that is normal? I'm less than a mile away from the exchange. I have an old openreach modem from several years ago which I then have to connect to my router. Could that be causing any speed differences? 

Only reason I'm asking is I've moved at least a mile closer to the exchange so would have assumed some improvement in speeds.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Engineer was called out and fixed a problem at the cabinet. Think something was missed in the initial work. I can phone through to my answer machine / call blocker at home so must all be working.

Glad to hear the engineer was able to fix the fault quickly and your service is working now.

Thanks for finally giving me the information needed to resolve this @Gandalf and everyone else for helping out. I do think there are a few improvements needed in terms of communication out to customers who are either joining or moving house. 

No problems and again I do sincerely apologise for the issues you've had following completion of the order.

Lastly I tested the broadband speeds against the average of 32MB/s seems I'm getting  around 16MB/s not sure if that requires further investigation or if that is normal? I'm less than a mile away from the exchange. I have an old openreach modem from several years ago which I then have to connect to my router. Could that be causing any speed differences? 

Only reason I'm asking is I've moved at least a mile closer to the exchange so would have assumed some improvement in speeds.

Line tests aren't showing any issues as shown below:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 33.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 7.8 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate -1 Mbps -1 Mbps -1 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate -1 Mbps -1 Mbps -1 Mbps
Up Time -1 Sec -1 Sec -1 Sec
Retrains -1 -1 -1
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-10-25T12:42:29Z 2018-10-25T12:57:29Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 2
Egress Code Violation 7 3
Errored Seconds 2 1
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

However, your speeds are below the estimates of your line so we can progress this as a fault with our suppliers.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 57.7 39.6 14.2 8.8

Before we do raise a fault I'd recommend trying the steps Here to bypass any internal wiring which may be affecting this.

If your speeds are still below where we'd expect them to be, I'd then report a fault to us Here.

Feel free to let us know over here if/when you do raise a fault and we'll be happy to pick it up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
blackballfoo
Dabbler

Hi sorry been in meetings all afternoon. I had an update that the engineer who visited today said we might see slower speeds for a couple of weeks whilst the line synced. Not sure what that means but it seems that slower broadband speeds should be expected in the short term. Not sure if this is normal but I can monitor this and come back if the speed doesn't improve as given your information it should be much higher.

Thanks again @Gandalf

blackballfoo
Dabbler

The link you sent @Gandalf had some additional information which might be useful in case anyone else stumbles upon this conversation:- 

"For 10 days after broadband activation, DLM will test your line to find the best balance between speed and reliability. Speed during this time can vary and your broadband may drop out occasionally (it should return immediately).

After 10 days, small changes in speed can occur (as DLM reacts to changing conditions) but your line speed should remain relatively stable."

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

"For 10 days after broadband activation, DLM will test your line to find the best balance between speed and reliability. Speed during this time can vary and your broadband may drop out occasionally (it should return immediately).

After 10 days, small changes in speed can occur (as DLM reacts to changing conditions) but your line speed should remain relatively stable."

That doesn't apply to Fibre connections, although some CSC agents still seem to think it does!.

Fibre will achieve it's balance with 24-48hours.

Try the check from the test socket as @Gandalf suggested  and see if that has any effect.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

blackballfoo
Dabbler

I'm connected at the master socket so should be fine. The picture looks slightly different as it has the broadband connection at the top of the socket and phone at the bottom.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

The 10 day nonsense is a myth that BT continually quote to deter people from complaining about low speeds when first connected. 

The FTTC DLM starts basically lines at the maximum speed they can achieve with certain provisos that can increase the speed over the following few days for some connections, such as Introduction of G.Inp and reduced SNRM on error free lines, or if there are a lot of errors the line may be banded i.e capped at a lower speed.

The GEA test shows your speeds to be below the expected range so needs further investigation as suggested by Gandalf.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@Gandalf,

Is there any possibility that this is being restricted due to the PN profile on the account being the same as it was at the previous address? For example if the user has a fixed IP address the PN IP profile still applies.

[I am (rashly ?) presuming that where the profile applies ... it follows the account ?]

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

blackballfoo
Dabbler

I did have a static IP address at my last address. I dont actually need it anymore but it might still be on my account.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

You can check your data speed at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and this does affect people with static IPs (like me)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It looks like the profile on your account is stuck at 21000kbps so I've updated that now to the maximum it can go for your fibre package which is 37000kbps though this won't affect the sync rate which is below expectations.

Could you reboot your router and let us know how your speeds look?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Townman wrote:
No it’s not the system’s way of saying it’s detected a problem.

Thanks for clarifying that @Townman.  I was only speaking from personal experience.  I had to leave the room while the first test was carried out and saw that message when I returned.  I naturally thought the test hadn't worked so I repeated it with the same result.  Then I checked my PN account and two tickets had been raised, one of which PN staff quite sensibly removed since it was a duplicate.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Yea, its behaviour is variable, there is no real assertion over what it means … it can report failure and indeed do nothing! Crazy3