Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet vs AOL

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Plusnet vs AOL

I had to deal with both Plusnet and AOL yesterday and thought I'd post about my experieces!  I had a phone call from a friend who is on AOL whose internet connection had died earlier that day.  I popped round on my way home (about 6pm) and had a quick look.  It was synced to the exchange but authentication was failing.  I tried the bt_test@startup_domain username which failed as well, so within 2 minutes I'd established a BT fault.  We phoned AOL Tech Support and went straight through there menus and was with 1st line support within a minute.  Great!  I explained the problem and the support guy (in India) talked me through changing the username to the AOL username, which of course failed.  Then he got me to do a manufacturer reset and set it up again, of course without success.  By this point he'd got to the bottom of his piece of paper and was stuck, so passed me to second line support.  This guy took a load of details again got me to reboot the rooter and put me on hold for 5 minutes.  When he came back he told me there was exchange problems (turns out it was this) and told me to leave it an hour and try again, nad just keep on trying and only phone back after 24 hours.  In all we where on the phone just less than 50 mins,
At about 10:30 I decided I'd just print out some info from the web before heading to bed.  Popped up to the computer and found exactly the same problem.  Guessing it was the same problem at the exchange problem (as we're on the same exchange), but thought I'd give Plusnet a quick bell.  Phoned up on the 0114 number and sat in the queue for 15mins.  I then spoke to Paul and told him I was having problems, he took my username and verified part of my password, and said straight away he could see what was probably the problem (ie the MSO I linked to earlier), and I was finished on the call pretty much straight after that.  Paul was very friendly and it didn't sound like he was just reading from the script as with my earlier experiece.  If any of the comms guys are reading this can you pass on my thanks to him.
All is back up and working this morning (well I guess as of around 12:46 accordering to the MSO), though as of 10:30 last night it still said the Anticipated Clear Time was 15:45, so well done BT for keeping everyone updated  Cheesy
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

2 REPLIES 2
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Plusnet vs AOL

Surely this should be in Testimonials?
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Plusnet vs AOL

Quite possibly, and I'm more than happy for a moderator to move it if they feel it necessary.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.