cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet support on a downward trend

DallyHouse
Dabbler

Plusnet support on a downward trend

Considering that Plusnet's advertisements focus on the quality of their support, I am somewhat concerned to comment that, in my opinion, plusnet support is going downhill.

I recently received an email saying that Plusnet had turned on my broadband firewall after a friend that provides me with technical support had explicitly turned it off. 

Doing this without asking is bad enough, but the option to turn it off again no longer appears in the control panel, there is a 10 minute wait on hold if I phone, online chat is not available at present and there is no longer an ability to raise a ticket online.

Do plusnet really consider this to be good customer service?

14 REPLIES 14
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Plusnet support on a downward trend

Can you PM me the username and I'll look into that for you?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Obviously Plusnet will look at why it's no longer in your Control Panel

DallyHouse wrote:

I recently received an email saying that Plusnet had turned on my broadband firewall after a friend that provides me with technical support had explicitly turned it off.

But why do you want it off? Did your friend say why it should be off? Do you need some of the ports that is blocks on the Low setting? If not, I would advise you leave it on set to Low, it's useful protection.

DallyHouse
Dabbler

He turned it off so he could provide remote support for my router (though router is configured to provide this only from his own fixed IP address).

Why is the router responding to DNS a security risk? It is only relaying what it gets from the plusnet DNS servers anyway.

But he will set up the BB firewall correctly now he knows what the issue is. If PlusNet will give me back the ability to do so.

Anotherone
Champion

@DallyHouse wrote:

Why is the router responding to DNS a security risk? It is only relaying what it gets from the plusnet DNS servers anyway.

Where did that come from? That's a new one on me. @Anonymous is a bit of an expert in these areas, I know he's busy, but hopefully he'll come and put some input in at some point.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@DallyHouse wrote:

Because it leaves you (and others the attack is directed at) susceptible to DNS amplification attacks.

I replied to another of your posts here BTW.

Can you try and keep discussion on this topic to a single thread please.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DallyHouse
Dabbler

My intention for this thread was to provide feedback on deteriorating customer service. And the other thread is for the BB Firewall issue.

Anotherone
Champion

Probably best to continue it in the other thread then @Anonymous to note if he has time.

KJR
Dabbler

I reported a fault on my broadband line on Monday evening and after 24 hours I'd heard nothing from Plusnet. Chased them on Tuesday evening and spoke to a manager who said they were conducting testing and I would be contacted after 72 hours by the engineers who would provide an update!

I waited patiently until this morning and surprise, surprise, silence!

Contacted customer services this morning to be told the fault had not been picked up by the engineers yet and it would escalated! A fault was confirmed, by the person I spoke to and fault passed to Openreach and I will now have to wait until 12th for a further update! 

So if you want evidence that Plusnet service is a shambles, what more can I say.

Based up this performance I will now be looks to be released from my contract and move my service to another supplier. Formal complaint had been raised, but have very low expectations based upon my recent experience!

Anotherone
Champion

You should have been notified of some available dates for the engineer visit, have you not been?

DallyHouse
Dabbler

KJR - you are more likely to get a positive response from PlusNet if you start a separate thread for your own issue.

That said, PlusNet (like most ISPs) is reliant on BT Openreach to do the engineering - and it is generally Openreach who are the shambles. So, providing that they are doing their utmost to get Openreach to get it fixed, you really cannot blame PlusNet.

(Openreach are effectively a monopoly, so they have little competition to force them to become efficient. And of course, because Openreach are a part of BT, despite the rules about them being even-handed with ISPs including BT Internet, this is likely not the case.)

My friend has been a customer of PlusNet for well over a decade, resisting cheaper deals because of the quality of PlusNet customer service, and I moved to PlusNet based on his recommendation.

But customer service is definitely on a downward trend at PlusNet - and they will lose a lot of customers if it continues - although it is not yet too late to fix it.

KJR
Dabbler

Thanks fir your feedback and just posted a separate post as you suggested.

I am aware of Openreach issues, but my issue is with Plusnet and why it has taken them over 72 hours to hand out the fault to Openreach!

Plusnet incompetence.

KJR
Dabbler

Fault handed to Openreach this morning and no dates offered yet!

Anotherone
Champion

Check your fault ticket to see if there are any dates on there. Have you set up email/text notification for updates on the ticket? IIRC you can do it in the member centre when you goto the ticket.
Unfortunately 72hrs is pretty standard for initial processing of a Broadband fault ticket by the time it's initially looked at, basic checks carried out and passed on for further testing Sad

KJR
Dabbler

I have checked the ticket daily and nothing added until I contacted Plusnet this morning. I was told the ticket had been handed over to Plusnet engineers following the basic checks and they had not picked up the ticket this morning. Now passed to Openreach and fault sat in their queue!