Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet staff overstepping the mark

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Plusnet staff overstepping the mark

It is with some concern that I have noted over the recent past a greater degree of interference in the running of these forums by certain Plusnet staff members. When the Community site and forums were launched in July 2007a FAQ was published. To quote one section:
- What is the Moderation Policy on the community site?
Our existing moderators have kindly agreed to continue moderating the forums, using the same policies as applied on the Portal Forums. You can find these rules posted in the forums. The moderation policies may change over time, but as with any decisions like this it will be left to the moderators to decide how the forums are moderated. PlusNet goes to great pains not to interfere with the day to day of the forums and it’s important to us that the community site is run by the community even though it is provided by PlusNet.

Note the last sentence: PlusNet goes to great pains not to interfere with the day to day of the forums... Great play has been made of this in the past - so why the change of policy?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
37 REPLIES 37
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Plusnet staff overstepping the mark

I have spent a great deal of time on these forums and can't say that I have noticed any interference from Plusnet staff on them. Certainly there is plenty of evidence of participation but that can't be what you're citing here.
I would be disappointed if Plusnet staff members were not considered to be members of the Plusnet community, same as everyone else with a connection to plusnet, and therefore I would welcome their input in discussions as much as anyone else's.
I appreciate that I may have missed the incidents you are calling into question though.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

One was in your thread under testimonials, I think
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Correct Jim. That was the final instance that prompted my post.
geewizz
Grafter

I would have classed that as participation rather than interference. It was phrased as a suggestion or request.
I don't know, I just think "interference" evokes something more like a bit of meddling with the moderation or something.
(Can you hear my shoulders creak when I shrug?)
petejackson
Grafter

Wasn't Ian just suggesting that a thread might be more suited to a different forum or sub-forum?  He's just concerned that the new forum structure be effective I think.  There's nothing that is meant in any way to undermine the mods day-to-management of the forums.  And, correct me if i'm wrong, he never suggested moving it himself.  He's just close to it I think because he was part of the team that helped define the new structure.  Speaking of which what do you think of it?
Heloman
Grafter

Agree with you geewiz. It was just a suggestion by Ian:
"Ps - is it OK if I move this post to a more relevant forum than testimonials?"
rather than interference. A moderator might have just moved it without asking  Wink
To be honest I haven't noticed any of the interference by PN staff that is worrying jelv.
geewizz
Grafter

I'm glad this has come up because I hadn't really thought aboiut it before but it does make sense for plusnet staff to remain detached from the moderation of the forums. When I first read the sentence in that Moderation Policy I thought it was a strange thing to delineate but I can see the strong argument for the policy to maintain that sense of trust that Plusnet have strived to establish.
Therefore if there was any interference then it would be quite an important issue. Even the perception of interference is important to discuss because it shouldn't be allowed to fester.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: Peter
And, correct me if i'm wrong, he never suggested moving it himself. 

Quote from: Ian
Ps - is it OK if I move this post to a more relevant forum than testimonials?

Not - would you mind if I asked a mod to move but can I move it
geewizz
Grafter

Yeah but when it comes down to it, he wasn't going to move it without permission. So if it was moved, it didn't really matter who actioned it, it was who discussed it that mattered and in this case it wasn't going to be an exclusively plusnet staff decision.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Peter
And, correct me if i'm wrong, he never suggested moving it himself. 

That's an interesting interpretation of what he said:
Quote from: Ian
Ps - is it OK if I move this post to a more relevant forum than testimonials?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: geewizz
Yeah but when it comes down to it, he wasn't going to move it without permission. So if it was moved, it didn't really matter who actioned it, it was who discussed it that mattered and in this case it wasn't going to be an exclusively plusnet staff decision.
Agreed - however the request was to you as the OP.
if you had said yes he would apparently have done it completely bypassing the moderators.
PlusNet goes to great pains not to interfere with the day to day of the forums
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: geewizz
I would be disappointed if Plusnet staff members were not considered to be members of the Plusnet community, same as everyone else with a connection to plusnet, and therefore I would welcome their input in discussions as much as anyone else's.

Exactly, and like any other member of the forums he could have used "Report to moderator" to suggest that it needed to be moved.
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Agreed - however the request was to you as the OP.

I hadn't actually read it that way but on reflection, you're right, it was addressed to me.
if you had said yes he would apparently have done it completely bypassing the moderators.

Again I concede that was the implication.
I guess I have to stand aside now and let someone else take the stand.

[Call the next witness!]
techguy
Grafter

Don't PN staff count as mods? (please forgive the question as I've not been around here very long)
Surely if the OP agrees there is no problem?