cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet routers.

Timalay
Grafter

Plusnet routers.

Now BT has announced their new home hub 4, are plusnet going to up their game with their routers?
20 REPLIES 20
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Plusnet routers.

I think we should wait to find out if the HH4 is actually as good as it appears (though if PN could negotiate a bulk discount on some ASUS RT-N66Us or similar.......)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

We've been down this road so many times. Embarrassed
Until Plusnet use up their stock of 100s of 1000s of Thomson routers they aren't going to replace them. After all, the majority of Plusnet customers are happy with the supplied router.
Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: tijara33
Until Plusnet use up their stock of 100s of 1000s of Thomson routers they aren't going to replace them. After all, the majority of Plusnet customers are happy with the supplied router.

If Plusnet had any sense they would keep their massive stockpile of 100,000 cheap Technicolor routers with no aerial for their equally cheap 10Gb Value copper broadband customers and give all their fibre customers and their higher quality copper service customers a router of a standard in line with the better quality service they are paying for.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The amount of usage has nothing to do with the quality of service  Roll_eyes
Capvermell
Rising Star

The price paid for a service usually has a lot to do with its quality.  Take Ryanair vs BA 1st Class for instance.
The whole problem with the Technicolor 582n is that cheap and nasty routers are being given out to even the company's top paying customers.
dick:quote
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

To be honest I was very reserved about the plusnet router, when I got one to replace my faithful netgear that died. I got it as a stopgap till I replaced it, so I could get back online, but in reality I have not bothered. It reliable, wireless (for me anyway) is fine all over the house, and currently on over 15days uptime. I am pretty pleased with it, but it may not be to everyones tastes. I do recall plusnet once offered a couple of routers, that you could pay for
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

exactly my experience when my Netgear died - or at least was rapidly dying
rja66
Rising Star

I too was a little dubious as to the quality of the supplied router but this unit far exceeds my poor experience with my old Belkin and I am more than happy with it. Although i'm sure there are a number of customers who have had poor results with the Technicolor I suspect the majority get a more than reasonable service from them otherwise Plusnet would not continue to supply this unit as their reputation for good service would fall rapidly.
I suspect Plusnet had to strike a balance by finding a fairly reliable unit that isn't too costly to suit their business model and I think they have with this.
I think it is also important to remember that we all have different setups, different pc's running different software, different houses with different interference issues, different quality of phone lines etc. so I don't find it too surprising that we all get slightly different results from using it.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: rja66

I think it is also important to remember that we all have different setups, different pc's running different software, different houses with different interference issues, different quality of phone lines etc. so I don't find it too surprising that we all get slightly different results from using it.

I agree.. I dont think its resonable to expect plusnet to cater to everyone. To my mind plusnet are an isp whose remit is to provide broadband. They supply a router that does this, resonably well imho. At least we get a choice, skys router is of a similar offering, but completely locked down, and need to resort to other tactics to get info from it. Is the tg worth £40, debateable, but seeing as only pay a fiver for it, for a bog standard router for people who dont need vpns, non stanatd firewall etc, then it seems a no brainer.
rja66
Rising Star

Maybe Plusnet could in the future offer a choice of router again, the Technicolor or equivalent for a basic no frills setup and a more expensive option which might offer dual band etc. Whilst many customers would probably still wish to research and source their own device to suit their particular needs i'm sure if Plusnet purchased in bulk and could offer a small cost saving to their customers some may be interested given this option when signing up.
Then again I guess we must remember Plusnet are in the business of providing broadband and not retailing routers !  Cheesy
tijara33
Pro

From my experience I was more than happy with the PN router when I was on ADSL with a 2.5 Meg download. It was only when I upgraded to fibre that I realised the loss of speed wirelessly using the PN fibre router. PN as a BB supplier more than makes up for the shortcomings of the router & I love my Asus RT-N56U.
joncooper
Grafter

personally, I don't like the bit where you /have/ to have a router if you order fibre, there is no option to say you don't want it, have your own, etc
tijara33
Pro

I didn't automatically receive a new router when I had fibre installed.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Do you get an option if you are upgrading from ADSL and already have one you can flash?