cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet router hasn't arrived and FTTC is due to be installed today

garyw
Grafter

Plusnet router hasn't arrived and FTTC is due to be installed today

I have an appointment to have FTTC installed this afternoon but my router still hasn't arrived. I called customer services and they said that unfortunately the router had not been dispatched even though I ordered it and paid for it when I ordered FTTC. The router has now been sent for dispatch but will not arrive for another 3 to 5 working days. Looking through previous posts on this forum it's quite clear that I'm not alone and that there has - for at least 18 months if not longer - been a problem with the ordering process for FTTC routers. I have been with Plusnet for several years and have never had a problem until today, in fact I have recommended Plusnet to several people because I've been so pleased with the service I have received. I don't like to complain but I expect better from Plusnet. Surely it's not THAT difficult to implement a reliable ordering process - so why hasn't this been fixed yet?
I understand that the router is not required for the FTTC install and that he BT engineer will install the BT modem and I can install the router when it arrives. I also understand that until the router arrives I can connect direct to the modem using a PPPOE connection. Is that correct?
If so that's all well and good but I would rather not connect to the Internet without a NAT firewall so can I use my Plusnet ADSL router with the FTTC modem in the meantime? And if not can anyone recommend a third party router that I can use with FTTC and that I can buy locally at PC World or Maplins etc?
13 REPLIES 13
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Plusnet router hasn't arrived and FTTC is due to be installed today

You'll need a fibre enabled router, there's loads available, it depends on how much you want to spend. I'm pretty sure that you will have to update your PN ADSL router's firmware to make it connect to the modem. There is information available on how to do this within the forum.
Good luck.
PS When I upgraded to fibre I didn't realise that I needed a new router so I only ordered one after the OR engineer had finished his work. It arrived first thing the following morning.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I don't like to complain but I expect better from Plusnet.

No, you're absolutely right to complain!
A quick search through the forums will find many such cases of routers for Fibre services being sent out late or not at all.  Plusnet are good overall but I agree that the ordering process surely needs to be looked at to make certain that orders are always placed in reasonable time to ensure delivery before the install date (and some kind of check to ensure that the order to deliver a router has indeed resulted in one being dispatched).
I believe that most routers, once dispatched, arrive significantly quicker than the quoted 3 to 5 working days but you really should not be waiting for yours at all after your install date has arrived.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jimbof
Grafter

Quote from: garyw
I have an appointment to have FTTC installed this afternoon but my router still hasn't arrived. I called customer services and they said that unfortunately the router had not been dispatched even though I ordered it and paid it for when I ordered FTTC.

Did they tell you if the order for FTTC was still going ahead?  In my case the router not being here prompted me to call Plusnet, at which point after some probing I discovered my fibre order had been cancelled by Openreach systems...
garyw
Grafter

The customer service agent did not say that the order had been cancelled. I'm currently waiting for the BT engineer to arrive but I'll give CS a call to see what the situation is. I will be b**dy angry if it's been cancelled because I've taken a day off work for this.
dick:quote
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You don't to call in, I've asked Chris Purvey to get in touch with you. Not good news I'm afraid (the appointment wasn't actually booked as it was only requested 5 days beforehand, when we need at least 7 days). Realistically you shouldn't have been able to book today, unfortunately there was a bug in our system (that we fixed earlier this week) which allowed this to happen.
Really sorry this has caused you inconvenience, Chris is calling as I type.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Not good news but would this explain the router not being sent in such a case?  (little consolation to the OP I know, but potentially useful information for others).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Yep, the router is automatically dispatched based on the install date and confirmation we receive. As this order fell out of the process the router didn't get ordered.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jimbof
Grafter

Would be nice if you could improve this part of your processes - there is clearly enough information in the various systems involved but it isn't being collected up.  I was lucky to phone in the day before my install was due, the OP obviously not...
garyw
Grafter

Well it's fair to say that I'm disappointed and annoyed that my installation didn't go ahead as planned especially as I booked a day off work and had to stay in for most of the day waiting. Plusnet to their credit, however, did call me immediately, explained the situation and re-booked the installation for another time which is the best they could do given the circumstances. So thanks to the Plusnet staff. However these sort of problems really shouldn't happen in the first place. There is clearly the potential for things to go wrong at the physical installation as it requires human intervention, but the ordering process should be the easy bit as it's basically just a database(s) made available online.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm sorry to hear there was an issue yesterday all the same. I'll look into that to see what can be learned as soon as I can.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
All4One
Grafter

If ever a situation arose when FTTC went live successfully and no router arrived in time, you can still connect a computer through the modem. It's not the best temp fix but atleast you still get internets on one device.
jimbof
Grafter

These days you can't guarantee to have an ethernet port on a computer, and more often than not the socket (and modem) is going to be in a very inconvenient place.  In my case it is under the ground floor staircase with our lounge 2 floors up!  But might get some people out of a fix.
All4One
Grafter

If you've got a decent computer/laptop, non of these random chromebooks or anything, it will no doubt have an ethernet port. And ethernet cables cost about £3.99 for 25metres Cheesy But I still understand the inconvenience! Crazy
dick:quote