cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet and Adobe Reader

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Plusnet and Adobe Reader

After past data leaks I avoid Adobe reader. I don't normally bother looking at itemised bills but just out of interest I have just downloaded my latest Plusnet bill. I noted the message that 'it can only be read by Adobe Reader and was invited to download this program. Obviously this is not true but makes me wonder why Plusnet should promote Adobe.

It looks like what Plusnet are doing is leaving off the file extension to try and fool other readers. I use Foxit and the way I found to open the download from Plusnet was to open Foxit, select Open then select All Files from the Open box. This then revealed the Plusnet download which had the useful title $STANDARD.

Has any-one got any ideas why Plusnet should think this is either necessary or makes sense? Do they get a payout from Adobe?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Plusnet and Adobe Reader

The PDF, as a standard, was designed by Adobe which is why there is the tie to their reader when these files are referenced. Having an extension and a proper file name like Plusnet-YY-MM-DD.pdf would make a heck of a lot of sense too.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@Baldrick1 

My guess is the pdf is generated on the fly and changing the name would be a bit more complex.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Actually, I was wrong. Bit the interesting thing is that the bills are created using Foxit:

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Baldrick1 In my opinion, that 'Adobe Reader' statement should be amended to say 'a PDF reader'. I have not had Adobe on my machines since I can't remember when, opting instead for other products, initially Foxit and now SumatraPDF reader - much lighter and easier to use.

As to opening the monthly PN bill, just clicking on it opens it for me, then I click 'save as', rename it to an understandable title, and save in the 'PN Invoices' folder.

John
jab1
Legend

Further to my post above, the bills must have a 'hidden' .pdf extension, as my settings in Firefox are to use SumatraPDF to open files of that type, and it does so.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't have an extension, the reason it opens inside Firefox is down to the mime type settings. As part of the download process it will have an application/pdf mime type set so FF knows what to do with it and is why it can be viewed automatically.

jab1
Legend

Thanks for that, @Anonymous - didn't see that.

When I select a bill, I get the option to 'Open with SumatraPDF (default)' or 'download this file'.

Obviously, I select the first option, then proceed as stated earlier.

John