cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Total useless

Egz0001
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Total useless

Yeah mate thats how i changed mine to Static and Adjusted my firewall.
Well last night i tried my game with the new setting and found it was slightly better than the night before but i think it was down to fixing my problems myself as plusnet techies weren't much help at all.
It still wasnt right though. I tried my ps3 in the dmz which was laggy on private games , so i tried just using UPNP enabled but it was the same.
I have had my connection changed to Fastpath and hope that the connection for online gaming will be better tonight.
Ive noticed that my readings are better. My down is 3.3 Meg  /  My up is 380 Kbps and my ping is 60. Slight improvement on the ping and the upload but less on the download.
With all the isp's ive had ive found that the ping should be as low as poss andthe upload as high as poss, this genrally workd well for online gaming, I will have to see if these improvements will make a difference but at least i have tried all options to get my line to work so i can say i have given them the opertunity to fix my issues, as it happens ive done most of the fixes myself. I do not intend to phone them up again as i must have spent £20 on phone calls to them and ive only just got connected.
If these fixes are not enough then i am going back to O2 as there customer service is excellent, and there techies know what they are doing which much be a first for ISP's. O2 bent over backwards to help me fine tune my line for online gaming and asking them to do something for you was never to much trouble.There tech support was free too.
If my setup works and anyone has a d link with a similar connection then just pm me to ask my setup and dont waste your time asking Plusnet for help as you will only get as frustrated as i was.
Thanks James for switching my line to fastpath, Lets hope it works as this is my last try, im going with ports forwaded tonight with UPNP disabled to see if it works anybetter.
Fingers crossed.
James
Grafter

Morning.
Your instability yesterday will have nothing to do with the interleaving order having been placed. That wouldn't have had any impact until the order actually completes, which takes a working day to do so and normally takes place around 2-4am in the morning.
You're relying on speedtest.net.  Please don't Smiley  What sort of figures do you get when you use a ping command to bbc.co.uk?  That will give you a far more reliable (and correct) value.  Hopefully you should notice an improvement in your latency from this morning onwards!  The order at this end is showing as having been completed.
Btw - When you're calling us, are you aware that we have a Geographic number which is probably included on your current calling plan?  You can also use 0114 2965198 rather than the 0845 number.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Egz0001
Im hoping the problem is down to interleaving mostly, but it could also be down to the fact that they never gave me a static IP as promised or the plusnet firwall blocking my PS3 ports.

Interleaving should definitely reduce your ping times however I've never known the Plusnet firewall to cause issues (would be interested to find out if it does though). Static IP shouldn't make any difference at all really. Even when using a dynamic IP you should be able to forward ports to your LAN devices.
My results are from the ps3 from speedtest.net.
From tracert im getting :  between 35 and 60  But mostly in the 30's

Here's what I'm finding it difficult to understand Undecided Whilst I've not had too much experience with it of late, speedtest.net used to be notorious for giving slightly spurious results - like James, I would certainly never rely on it to measure my ping times. Using traceroute, an average ping time of 30ms is hardly out of the ordinary - on the contrary many people would say that this is good. Interleaving will help to reduce this mind you.
You may want to consider using something like MTR to measure you ping speeds. You can leave this running for a prolonged period of time and then we'd have a far better indication of the problems you're experiencing. If you want to go the whole hog then you could also run a Wireshark capture to make sure that we're classifying your gaming traffic correctly (what game is it you're playing BTW?).
Got my mac code and was told that i now owe £58 ,lol I signed up for the 90 day free thing and was told that if i cancelled before the 90 dyas i would be refunded my money.
I am now being told that they have taken about £26 for connection and hardware delivery and if i leave before the 12 months i will be charged an extra £58 none of which i was told when i was connected. They also have made a few quid in me phoning them for them to try to help me, wouldnt mind but the problems ive been having is down to plusnet not me.

Sounds to me like you've been misinformed so sorry about that. You'd be liable for the £29.99 cost of the deferred hardware, however we should be able to refund/waive the cost of your subscription.
I do not intend to phone them up again as i must have spent £20 on phone calls to them and ive only just got connected.

£20!!? Which number were you calling us on? It might have been mentioned elsewhere but did you know that you can get through to us on a geographical number (0114 296 5188)? You'd have to be on the phone a *long* time to accrue £20 worth of calls to this.
Edit: Just seen your posts in the thread here about COD5 and that odd error message:
Im getting the message.
The router in use may not support ip fragments, and the communication of some game features may be restricted and to contact router manufacturer.
This is down to the MTU set to 1492 but i get it when the ps3 is set to auto.
I am still getting Nat 2 but what can i do about this warning ?  Does anybody Know ?

Where's that error message coming from? Your PS/3? A quick Google suggests that setting the MTU to the same value on both your PS3 and router shoujld resolve the issue (try 1430).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just done a test on my line to confirm that speedtest.net is a load of rubbish

a straight ping to bbc.co.uk gave 25ms and speedtest.bt gave download of 5600,  PN speed test 6631, my sinc is 8128,
I am not on adsl+
Egz0001
Grafter

You want to get 3 tests at several sites Dublin,London Maidenhead and sometimes brussles at various times of the day and night and discount the silly ones i just take the best reading normally, i found maidenhead was good with virgin and dublin for landline,. Try Dan Elwells Broadband speed checker cos ive heard it is used in disputes with ISP's.
As my connection is for the ps3 and not the pc , you cant do the trace thingy on the ps3 so the only tests i can do is speedtest.net. Ive tried loads of others but i find most give silly results, With my Virgin i always got 9800 meg down all day every day but my upload changed too much, ping was 26 at its best. I used speedtest.net with them and it proved a good tool.
I purchased the line for online gaming, If you want good tests then go to safe mode and downlod from blueyonder and see what your download speed is. Worked for my last ISP.
Anyway upto now i havent found a good enough setting to keep it on so im still trying, will end up downgrading package and trying that option before i leave though, just so i can say ive tried everything.
If anyone knows anything about a d link router dsl 2640b setup then please help. Ive read the help docs in the router setup but they are not helpfull in setting up my router to get the best from it and the line.
I have tried to write this post twice already but it either changes page or logs out on me even though my login was for 60 minuets.
James
Grafter

Okay, bear with me as
a) I don't have a PS3
b) Have never done any port forwarding of any kind Cheesy
Can you try restoring your router to factory default settings and then just putting the PS3 into the DMZ on the Dlink router?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

As the D-Link came from PN, would it be worth sending a loan Speedtouch to try?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Egz0001
Grafter

Lol, then we will learn together mate.
Do you want the DMZ inside the DHCP or outside ?
Should i have UPNP enabled or disabled ?
Shold i leave all the other options to default too like the multi thingy which is for syncrinizing video to varios hosts at the same time ?
If the speedtouch was sent and it worked would i have to buy it as d link do a model which is specifically for online gaming but it costs £70 , if i  am forced to buy another router then im probibly better getting this one instead maybe.
James
Grafter

I was actually planning on doing so, once I'd seen that the router had been used with as near to default settings as possible with interleaving off and the problems had continued.
However, Egz has said in a different thread that he wants to try and use a router he's used in the past, so that'll be upto him Smiley
James
Grafter

Hiya,
Try and keep as much to defaults as possible.
DMZ should be outside DHCP.
UPNP should be disabled.
Egz0001
Grafter

I dont have any other router only my belkin which is for cable , Im open to any suggestion but i do have to keep my costs to a minimum.
I wouldnt mind buying a new one if i new it would fix all my issues, but i dont want to be left with another router it my issues where the same cos then id have 2 routers for ASDL and 1 for cable.
But if the option of sending me a test router or swapping the one ive got at new extra cost id be upfor it, but i dont want to have to pay the delivery charges and the return charges if it doesnt fix my issues.
Ive already tried that option but for test purposes and to rule everthing out ill try it again. On my other post i listed all the options ive tried already.
James
Grafter

I'd be happy to find you a router out of our test cupboard to send to you to test (as a loan).  I wouldn't expect you to pay the delivery charge.
Egz0001
Grafter

I have restored to factory defaults and put my dmz outside the dhcp and disabled UPNP.
Wouldnt be able to test this setup untill later though.But will let you know how i get on with it but im sure from the tests ive done it didnt make any difference but just so you can rule this out ill try again.

Wouldnt know which router to use mate, ill leave that as your choice. Its very nice of you to offer to send me a test router at no extra cost, obviously if it worked i would pay for it as i understand that your not a charity. Would i have to pay the returns charge if it didnt work ?

If not then could you please send me one to try , as it would be a great help to rule out my router. As im running out of options to try.
Thanks for the help
James
Grafter

No, there wouldn't be a returns charge.
Try the router out tonight with those settings and let me know how you get on.  If it doesn't help I'll try and get a Thomson router sent out.
Egz0001
Grafter

Is the thompson the one with the 2 ariels as this one offers the qos feature.
One question is that on auto setup on ps3 it says that the DNS server is the router so when you set it up manually you input the router as the DNS servers.
Is this right, i know im clutching at straws but it was just a thought.
As the PS3 is now in the dmz so surley it would need to bypass the router now. so i should be able to put in the manual primary and secondary dns servers instead.
and would my mask be 255.255.255.0 cos when i got a static ip im sure it said it was 255.255.255.255. but that might be just for the router. As 255.255.255.0 and DNS at 192.168.1.1 it still connects. but its what may be slowing my connection up.
To get my information i set mine to auto setup and copied the setting down to put in manual as you have to if you put in manual ip for ps3.