Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Removes Broadband Internet Traffic Prioritisation

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Plusnet Removes Broadband Internet Traffic Prioritisation

Was surprise to see this morning press release but plusnet keep it quiet never informed the customers by email.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/06/uk-isp-plusnet-removes-broadband-internet-traffic-prior...

77 REPLIES 77
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Plusnet Removes Broadband Internet Traffic Prioritisation

@jaread83 second try as a mod moved it while I was posting and lost everything

Also stated here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-traffic-prioritisation/

Which raises several questions

what about traffic prioritisation at a customer level as the removal means that downloading can saturate the connection and muck up time sensitive protocols

what about current line speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

@bobpullen what about the Ellacoyas

what about the effect on speed test results

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Oh ***** that is bad news.

I liked the PN traffic prioritisation, it was effective in protecting time sensitive traffic from the effects of downloads etc.

I do not buy the improved network resillance argument as a reason for removing priotisation.

I guess I am going to have to monitor the effects of downloads, the kids youtube streaming etc on VOIP in particular.

I can see this, retrograde step, hitting those with low ADSL synch speeds the hardest.

I can only speculate that PN decided to stop trafic priotisation as it easier and cheaper not to implement it!

Perhaps the data usage collection will be re-enabled?

Richard

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

• What if a customer wants to continue with traffic prioritisation?
Any customers who do want to continue to use traffic prioritisation can do so by ringing 0800 432 0200.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

it isn't mentioned as an option on the Plusnet page I linked to

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

@ Mark Jackson ISPreview stated

• What if a customer wants to continue with traffic prioritisation?
Any customers who do want to continue to use traffic prioritisation can do so by ringing 0800 432 0200.

I rang them up and they say there is no option to enabled traffic prioritisation back on, there isn’t. Told me it only for business only. Yes you are right Oldjhim, it didn't say on plusnet page either!

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Seem interesting as the speedtest from thinkbroadband was pretty rapid faster than before when traffic prioritisation was removed.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

am still seeing single thread speed issue Sad

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1498815617715483755

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

PN is this technically incorrect for the new network?
https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-traffic-prioritisation/

Traffic prioritisation helps prioritise different types of broadband traffic to your home or business premises. It's used to create the best possible service when you are trying to do more online than your line can physically support at the time. Where this applies we don't limit your line speed, usage or downloads because of prioritisation.

“Traffic prioritisation helps prioritise different types of broadband traffic to your home or business premises. It’s used to create the best possible service when you are trying to do more online than your line can physically support at the time. Where this applies we don’t limit your line speed, usage or downloads because of prioritisation.

For example, if one person in your house or business is on Skype and someone else is downloading a file, bandwidth priority would be given to the person using Skype as this is the most time sensitive application. Likewise, if you were streaming a film or gaming online, priority would be given to you, rather than to file sharing or music downloads. So rather than all of these activities buffering or struggling to complete, your Skype call should run smoothly and the file download will just take a little longer to finish.”

How does the new network stop ( with out traffic prioritisation ) your activities/services ( gaming , netfilx , windows updates , skype) coming to a grinding halt if family members are all using different online services and the line becomes saturated? 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Does anyone know whether this applies to 20CN ADSL Max connections on IPStream backhaul, or just connections on Plusnet's own new network?

I generally can't watch iPlayer (on low res setting) in the evenings without buffering, and so I don't think removing traffic prioritization will improve that at all.

Also, what happens to anyone with the Pro add-on (I don't have it as it is no use with t he 20CN connections, and I have the Premium add-on anyway), as that relies on traffic prioritization.

I see this as a cost reduction exercise that they are trying to spin as a service improvement.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

How does PN's investment in the core network remove the need for / benefit of traffic prioritisation, where a user has a quite slow ADSL service (sub 5Mbps) arising from BTOR's failures to invest in local infrastructure?

It seems to me that this is exactly where prioritisation delivers benefits.  I rather suspect this is a senior management response to the idiotic ruling from the ASA that prioritising traffic is at odds with the "unlimited" (no measurement of consumption) claims over the service provided.  Just goes to prove that we need more engineers in the decision making process.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

As this removal of Traffic Prioritisation materially changes the both the product and the basis on which ISP selection may have been made, does the user have the option to cancel their contract without penalty?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

i like the comment on the ISP preview page Thumbs_Up

George M

The cynic in me thinks that removing traffic prioritisation means that Plusnet can switch off processor intensive tasks on their routers so can squeeze more consumer traffic through less devices.

Thereby decreasing costs.

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Unfortunately over the years there have been many whingers and whiners about PlusNet's use of traffic prioritisation in a manner which makes sound common sense to the majority.  I suspect a vocal few have finally convinced a not understating technology very well ASA to rule against PlusNet's "unlimited" claims about its products".  Faced with such stupidity (all round) it is not surprising that PlusNet might feel forced to remove prioritisation on those products it labels "unlimited" ... rather than fight the ASA ruling.

Read between the lines - the announcement does not say ALL PRODUCTS just UMLIMITED ones.  If this were a case of freeing up router processor power, they would have removed it entirely.

For many this is a retrograde change, but hey what does the ASA care if their rulings disadvantage those they are supposed to protect.  It's another QANGO looking to look good by punching a commercial organisation in the face. 

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I don't know whether it is just because where I live there is only ADSL Max available, but when I check what packages are available they are all "unlimited". Do Plusnet still sell limited packages anywhere?