Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet End Fixed Price Broadband Contracts

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 11

Plusnet End Fixed Price Broadband Contracts

You may not be aware that as of 7 October 2020, Plusnet appear no longer to offer fixed price contracts. Any contracts entered into from that date will automatically rise by CPI +3.9% on 1 June 2021and on 1 March thereafter. See this link:

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/cpi-plus-guide/

Seems like a BT initiative.

I only discovered this because Plusnet are currently trying to sort out the chaotic billing on my account and as part of that they are starting a new contract to run for the remaining term of my existing one (which they are cancelling) and the new terms were sent to me. Needless to say that will not be acceptable for this "replacement" contract which is only needed because of Plusnet's incompetence.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Plusnet End Fixed Price Broadband Contracts

Hi @jgb 

My interpretation is that all rises will be actual CPI and that 3.9% is just an example.

Dave

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 11

Hi @daveplus 

The wording is "CPI plus 3.9%" and so I think it is just that - a minimum of 3.9% if CPI is zero or negative, otherwise more.

This is the same increase formula as BT (Plusnet's parent company) use and they give specific examples of exactly how it will work and they match my interpretation. The examples at the bottom of the page I linked to also support my interpretation.

CPI would seem reasonable but the added 3.9% is just pure greed and facilitates the low initial cost of the contract. You get especially caned if you take a contract out just before the increase dates getting little benefit from the initial cost.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

@jgb wrote:

The examples at the bottom of the page I linked to also support my interpretation.

CPI would seem reasonable but the added 3.9% is just pure greed...

I agree.

One of the examples:

Unlimited Fibre Broadband £17.01 per month plus 5.1% (the 1.2% CPI rate published in January 2022 plus 3.9%)

Seems pretty unambiguous!  😥

Ω is where the is
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 7

@jgb 

So sorry: you are right.

Dave