cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Domain Transfer Automated Process Broken - BEWARE Transfering using the "Transfer out" UI!!!

martindbaker10

Plusnet Domain Transfer Automated Process Broken - BEWARE Transfering using the "Transfer out" UI!!!

OK. So my intention here is to make PlusNet users aware of the currently broken automated process for domain transfer out.

When you click "Transfer" for your domain, you get prompted for a domain TAG. You enter the TAG for the ISP you are transferring to. Mine happened to be TUCOWS-CA.

What happens with PlusNet's automated system? Well, this:

1. A task is scheduled for about 7 hours after you change the TAG that set PlusNet's DNS servers to refuse DNS requests on your domain.
  2. The domain TAG is not set!!

So, you end up then placing a call to PlusNet Support to ask for the TAG to be set. Remember the HOSTING (domains) team only seem to work days. My domain (www.everythingd7000.co.uk) resolution stopped working about 6pm Friday. So I had to wait till first thing Monday morning for the TAG to be changed manually. Consequently my domain was down all weekend.

Until the TAG is set the other ISP cannot start the transfer process, which in itself takes a few days, so I'm looking forward to my domain being offline another few days! Great! Thanks a lot!

@AllPlusNetUsers: Don't use the automated domain transfer system (i.e. in your PlusNet Domains Control Panel) to move your domain! Ring & make the request.

@adityarajivUK ; you should remove the "Transfer out" feature in the Domains Control Panel, OR fix it, temporarily suspending that feature. Also, why do you have a process that that refuses domain resolution for the domain so early? That should be much later in the process. Thanks to this broken system, my domain will be offline now for days! Sad

I have made the HOSTING team aware of this. So hopefully some action will be taken.

BW

Martin

2 REPLIES 2
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Plusnet Domain Transfer Automated Process Broken - BEWARE Transfering using the "Transfer o

If you search on here you'll see it has been broken for quite a long time.

@bobpullen is the man to get hold of if you need things done!

Incidently, when I transferred my domain out it was only down for an hour or so. As soon as the tag has been entered the new host should be able to set it up straight away - it's then just a case of the DNS propagating which should take less than a day and for most of the major DNS servers will be very quick.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Plusnet Domain Transfer Automated Process Broken - BEWARE Transfering using the "Transfer o

@martindbaker10, looks like the tag has since been updated:

Registrar:
        TUCOWS Inc t/a TUCOWS [Tag = TUCOWS-CA]
        URL: http://www.tucowsdomains.com

Apologies for the hassle. Like @jelv says, your new registrar should be able to get things up and running pretty swiftly so I can't see you enduring much more downtime.

Agree with you about the online page, we need to either fix the automation, or get it replaced with a boilerplate message to contact support (probably the latter).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵