Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Current Line Speed or equivalent should be junked

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Plusnet Current Line Speed or equivalent should be junked

As traffic prioritisation is no more how about setting the number to the product maximum and block any action from the delta reports which would stop the occasional problem where it isn't updated when the sync speed increases

14 REPLIES 14
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Plusnet Current Line Speed or equivalent should be junked

@Oldjim,

TP is only "no more" for RESIDENTIAL UNLIMITED products.  There remains legacy residential measured products and business products, for which I believe TP is still applied.

However, your question might be mute for other reasons - I have been advised that where users are connected to the "new" network, the Plusnet profile (current speed) has ZERO impact on data speeds.

What is not clear (at least to me) is who still is not connected to the new network?  I am not aware if fixed IP address users have been moved over and I have a nagging memory that 20CN users cannot be moved over.  So their experience would still be governed by the PN profile.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As @Townman says, the traffic management is still in place for some accounts so removing the whole thing at the moment isn't something we can do.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Chris,

Would you care to comment on the rest of my post please, about the residual applicability of the Current Speed profile in the context of the new network?

Thanks.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

What is not clear (at least to me) is who still is not connected to the new network?  I am not aware if fixed IP address users have been moved over and I have a nagging memory that 20CN users cannot be moved over.  So their experience would still be governed by the PN profile.

I'm not sure about who is/isn't on the new network now, however the profile is still applicable for 20CN customers, and IIRC those with static IP addresses still utilise that too.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Chris,

Thank you for clarification of my half-baked-memory.

Current Speed still has bearing on 20CN and fixed IP customers, but may be not for the reason I thought! Grin

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

a question ,

why are 20CN and fixed IP not on the new network ?  which i thought was brought in to improve PN,s network

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@rongtw,

That is a question which fits in the middle of stuff I'm asking about elsewhere.

In the case of fixed IP addresses, these are connected with the username and therefore have to be handled within the Plusnet network (RAS services).  As I understand it for new network users, the RAS is performed locally to the user and from there internet connectivity can completely avoid the PN data centre for some connectivity.

As for 20CN I can only guess that they do not have access to the 'local' RAS services... Huh

chenks76
All Star

@rongtw wrote:

a question ,

why are 20CN and fixed IP not on the new network ?  which i thought was brought in to improve PN,s network

aren't they?

i have a static IP and i'm on the new network.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

My understanding of it (from way back towards the start of moving people), was that I (with a static IP) was moved to the new network, but I'm tunneled back to the Plusnet gateways (only certain ones though) for authentication and assignment of IP Address.

To also back that up, if I remember correctly the move to the new network was done by a cease order.  Therefore to move from the new network back to the old network would also need that.  For someone on the new network with a dynamic IP and then requesting a static IP, this doesn't happen.  Likewise the same for someone removing a static IP. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Right folks - I have received a definitive answer on this.

The "old" network does not exist any more: for those of us with fixed IP addresses our connections are tunnelled through to PN's BNG gateways, which is where the "current speed" profiles kick in.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I assume - except for 20CN exchanges

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Why are static IP connections routed through L2TP? 
Due a limitation in the way WBMC Dedicated works, it's a lot easier for us to do the assignment of static IPs ourselves. This also makes it easier for housemoves and product changes while keeping the same IP address. 

Why aren't IPStream connections moved over to WBMC Dedicated? 
We made a decision not to implement this as it was a considerable amount of work for a decreasing number of users as the 20 to 21CN migrations continue. Furthermore, there won't be any real benefit to customers due to the lower line speeds.

More information about set up of the network can be seen here: 
https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Traffic-Prioritisation-and-20CN/m-p/1465591#M78095

I hope this helps explain things.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chenks76
All Star

so with the routing via L2TP, is there a disadvantage to having a static IP compared to those on dynamic?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Nothing significant to the user.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager