cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Assist

morgan11

Plusnet Assist

Can anybody tell me why the Plusnet Assist handbook is not available  for Mac operating systems. Seems that Macs are highly popular now, so why is Plusnet not up to speed?
13 REPLIES 13
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Plusnet Assist

Because the PlusNet Assist software isn't really all that good. So porting (converting) it to run on Mac OSX is pretty pointless. Also I doubt the functions that it does on Windows can be implemented on a Mac in one simple application.
That's RPM to you!!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You are very lucky that Plusnet Assist isn't available for the MAC - if it was you might be tempted to run it! Tongue
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I thought installing it was worse than running it  Shocked
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I tried and tested an early version as part of PUG - and was not impressed.  It achieved very little and got in my way when I tried to do 'things'.
Later I tried a revised and updated version - still not impressed, so removed it and now avoid all references to install it.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Anotherone
I thought installing it was worse than running it  Shocked

True!
petejackson
Grafter

Hi everyone,
I know you’re not big fans of Plusnet Assist but then you’re not really the type of person who the software is aimed at. I’ll be the first to admit it’s not perfect in all that it sets out to do but for basic connectivity diagnostic checks it works and works very well.  And therein lies the problem.. you don’t get to see where and when it does work.
I put a poll on the website the other week: 27% of people are saying that they are experiencing fewer problems after installing it.. that wouldn’t happen if it didn’t work.
We get fewer calls, especially about router setup and connection problems, from customers who have Plusnet Assist installed.. that's a fact.  It’s far more convenient for them to have a little pop-up when there’s a problem browsing. Click ‘Fix’ and it’ll go off and run a load of diagnostic checks to see whether it can see the router and what the connection status is.
For example, one of the neat things it does if you lose your connection is to IPCONFIG release/renew in the background.. it does a lot of neat stuff like that which, for you folks might be basic stuff, but for most end users it’s way beyond their experience.I can’t defend a blanket dismissal of the software (there’s simply so much it does in the diagnostic checks and the online Healthchecks) but if you’ve got any specific questions I’d be most happy to try to answer them.
With regards the OP about Apple Mac, the software represents an investment for us that we have to balance against the value gained in terms of how many customers it’s helping.  You’re right in that Apple Macs are very popular but there’re nothing like as many people using them as PCs.  We are looking at ways we can provide similar support for Apple Macs in the future but it’s unlikely it would be installed software like Plusnet Assist.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The big problem with Assist is that it sits in the background.
If it was a utility that the user could run on demand with buttons to click to address various issues (e.g. "fix my broadband connection") I suspect you'd still see a significant reduction in calls but none of the issues with it messing up customised configurations where the user has specific requirements and isn't experiencing problems.
ogilvie89

I am about to remove Plusnet Assist It keeps telling me that I have a problem when I do not and has recently undone my Email settings and so deleted all my Emails that were on the Plusenet server.
Not amused.
Anotherone
Champion

That is totally unsatisfactory. Plusnet should be able to recover them for you from a back up.
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Don't know if things have changed now but I'm sure I down loaded it and then it told it doesn't work with Chrome!
petejackson
Grafter

When Email Troubleshooter is run Plusnet Assist will identify and change any plus.com address configs in Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail to default settings. Our default POP3 settings are the correct mail server names, SMTP authentication and 'messages not left on server'.
I'm guessing then that after the mail settings had been set to 'default' that when you did a send/receive' that your mail was downloaded and, because the flag had been removed, not saved on the server.
Ideally Plusnet Assist would not change the 'messages left on server' flag and I will look at when we can get that rectified.  In the meantime I will have our FAQ (www.plus.net/assist) updated to highlight this issue as soon as possible.
I am sorry for the inconvenience you have had by downloading your POP3 mail if you had deliberately specified to leave it on the server.  Please note that customers using IMAP settings rather than POP3 to manage their mail would not have their email settings changed in this way.  If you regularly leave messages on the server to access from multiple locations perhaps you might consider using IMAP.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks PeterJ,  You've just confirmed why using Assist is not high on my list of recommendations Sad
Quote from: PeterJ
When Email Troubleshooter is run Plusnet Assist will identify and change any plus.com address configs in Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail to default settings. Our default POP3 settings are the correct mail server names, SMTP authentication and 'messages not left on server'.

Wot?  Without telling the User or giving them an option to review the change.  
Ideally Plusnet Assist would not change the 'messages left on server' flag and I will look at when we can get that rectified.  In the meantime I will have our FAQ (www.plus.net/assist) updated to highlight this issue as soon as possible.

Putting a notice in the FAQ is only likely to get read AFTER the event?     Making the change to 'default' settings is not intrinsically incorrect - but  the User needs to have a vote on whether it gets actioned or not.
Similar issues in other areas of code can cause as many issues as they cure.
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

I wouldn't touch Plusnet Assist with a barge pole even just to see what it did having read that. Luckily I was warned some time ago about how .... it was and that if I had a spare machine that I didn't mind reformatting after, I could see what it was like. No thanks, but when I have a spare machine I shall be using it for 'nix, so I won't be able to try it  Smiley