cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet doesn't like people that are DEAF!

bp707
Dabbler

PlusNet doesn't like people that are DEAF!

I’m Deaf and housebound, due to sever disabilities. My son is my full-time carer. However, he lives at a different address.

I rely on broadband for all my medical and social needs.

To ensure I was always connected to my son, we had Plusnet broadband installed at his flat but, I pay for it.

The Broadband is at his address, but I make payment using my bank details, from this address.

Plusnet then offered Sim cards and because it seemed a good offer, I decided to change from Virgin and get a Plusnet sim card.

When I followed the details… to the end… Plusnet popped up and error message saying that there was an error. No details of error were given. I tried several times, over several days and always with the same result.

I decided to try Chat… 9 times out of 10 the Chat was not available. When I did get through, I was told that I could not add sim using my bank card, even though I was already paying directly for broadband from my bank account. This meant I could not benefit from Plusnet’s sim offers!?

This got worse when I was told to call Plusnet. I explained I was deaf, could not make, or take calls and did not have text phone to use Text Relay service. The option given was to get someone else to talk for me… this is so belittling and patronising; I’m deaf not daft!

I can not contact Plusnet, because I am deaf. I can not contact any department, because I am deaf.

I was so please to use Plusnet in the first place and looked forward to moving from TalkTalk to Plusnet in the near future myself, but this has left me deciding not to bother.

By the way….. The last time on Chat, I got a little message popped up…. Give us a call!

I would like to hear any comments?

20 REPLIES 20
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: PlusNet doesn't like people that are DEAF!

Sounds like you are being a little unfair to Plusnet.

Not deaf m'self, but not far from it. The Mrs for example will often phone or talk on my behalf if needs be and it does not make me feel in any way belittled. It's just the way things are.

As for using their chat line (a real boon in my situation) I have never had any trouble getting through 90% of the time - and that's the truth.

Modern technology really has helped. We never used to have subtitles on telly for a start unless it was a foreign language film. Do you use sign language? One of my daughters teaches through this method and I know she has used it with conference calls and Skype so maybe Plusnet can provide that as an option if they have not done so already.

Hope some of this helps... and in much the same way emojis do. 😉

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
bp707
Dabbler

First let me thank you for taking the time to reply... Plusnet Admin here, have not?

Second, are you suggesting that I should learn another language to be able to talk to Plusnet ie, BSL, or them talk to me?

So, you would be happy for Plusnet to not talk to you, until you learned another language?

Wouldn't it be easier for all if they could just use the technologies that are available now.... Chat....text.... email? Advances in technology should surely empowering equality, shouldn't it.

It is good to hear you are ok for your wife to do your talking, but is this the case all the time, does she take over a conversation you may be involved with yourself, or do you find yourself trying to add to the conversation?

I'm deaf, not daft. I'm not asking for any special treatment, or consideration. I'm in the minority, but Chat, text, email and even post have been developed to allow us to communicate and non of it requiers you to be able to hear!? 🤔

Here is an idea: I get an email, giving an appointment time and link. At that time, I click on the link and guess what, we can have a chat about my query?

Please..... Chat.... Text..... Email or Post? I'm happy with 4 out of 5 and that can't be bad, can it?

Thanks for trying! 🙉

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@bp707    I am "almost" deaf.... I have two hearing aids, which are fine if the missus is talking to me,...but absolutely useless for telephone and television speech... also they are almost useless in "company" say in a cafe, as the background noise often masks the person opposite talking... Yup... I can hear them talking.... just can`t make out what they are saying...

moving on... If you have any adblocker on your browser, it will show that Live Chat is not available..

So.. install an alternative browser... e.g. internet explorer... or FALKON ( similar to Firefox) .  or Pale Moon, or Opera... and do not do any "settings" .... leave them "as is" when installed.... just use that particular browser for Live Chat..

The best times to get a quick reply on Live Chat, is early in the morning.. (just after opening times )...or later in the evenings.  around 7 pm onwards.

Hope that helps.

Minivanman
Legend

No worries @bp707  but yes am suggesting that if it helps to learn sign language.

I lived overseas for a while, and guess what.... not everybody speaks English.  

Don't know your age, full circumastances or even if you are totally deaf, but if you have not learned to sign it is not overly diificult do so. As said I have always been partially deaf and unconsciously learned to lip read. I have however not learned to say "pardon" even when I do hear what is being said. Force of habit I suppose.

Best of luck, and I hope you get it sorted to suit. 🙂

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from General Chat to Plusnet Feedback

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @bp707 

I'm sorry to see the issues you're experiencing. In addition to the support for our customers with disabilities we're happy to help you if you can message us via Facebook, Twitter or even right here on our Community Forums.

Feel free to send me a private message with the following details and I'll be happy to help.

• Your mobile number
  • Your full name
  • Your full address
  • Are you the account holder?
  • Your date of birth
  • Last 2 digits of your bank account number
  • Last 2 digits of your bank sort code

If you want to discuss a broadband account with us then we'd just need your account username (messaged privately of course) as we'd have the option of raising a support ticket you'd be able to respond to.

Having said that I've read your post again and it appears you're having issues signing up for a mobile account in the first instance. What error do you get when you try to pay using your bank card?

Also have you tried a different card, device and web browser?

I do hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bp707
Dabbler

Good Evening,

I'm not sure why this has been moved and ask that it be returned please. It seems that if a comment is made that you do not liked by Plusnet, you remove it?

Surely this is not allowing for the community to share problems and only show positive comments, which is biased?

This seems to be a blatant method of censorship!?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Your topic has been moved to a board that both myself and my colleagues on my team monitor. While we may occasionally drop in to the general chat board we don't monitor this as staff. 

There is no difference at all apart from the fact that we can now keep an eye on any replies you make to this thread and respond if appropriate.

Can you advise why you feel we've censored you and hidden your comment? From what I can see the thread is still publicly viewable.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The ''general chat' forum is just that, a chat forum for customers, it is not actively monitored by Plusnet staff.

One of the moderators ( who are also only customers with no access to user accounts ) moved your post, to a forum that IS actively monitored by staff, to give more chance for a response from Plusnet. It achieved that, as can be seen from the response from Gandalf above. The feedback forum still allows comments from other customers.

Edit: Gandalf beat me to the reply

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bp707
Dabbler

Good Evening Gandalf,

I don't use Facebook, or Twitter, but interested that you say i can deal with the problem right here via a, private message. Could you please explain how to do this as I have not been on the forum before?

I did check out the link supplied https://www.plus.net/help/legal/support-for-customers-with-disabilities/ and read with interest the information within.

I do not have a Text Relay phone, so can not use Text Relay Service. I do have the NGT Lite app, but can not link to Plusnet number provided.

I did try to use;

You can also contact our customer support team on 0800 432 0200 or by using our online chat service.

I got this:

We're a little busy

There might be a short wait for your chat to start.

After about 20 minutes, it looked as if I was going to be connected... then went to... rating the chat!?

I am surprised that as options offered go, I think a working Chat service, Text, email, or even post would be a better and simpler option? It seems as someone is making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be?

Minivanman
Legend

From what I am reading here the issue is more than just a case of being deaf and plusnet being unwilling or unable to help.

Sign of the times?

I certainly think so. 

Herman Melville
bp707
Dabbler

Good Evening Shutter and thanks for the time to reply,

I do use add blockers, but as you suggested, I have browser setting at default whenever using Chat; this isn't the only site services like chat can be a problem.

I use Firefox mainly and Safari for chat type services, just as suggested.

I've tried early more and later in the evening, but I will keep trying.

bp707
Dabbler

Good Evening MisterW, the reason for the move makes sense

Many thanks

bp707
Dabbler

Good Evening again Gandalf,

You said that the Chat was being moved, so I assumed that it would not be here, so I appear to be wrong in that assumption and apologies.

So what does, moving the chat mean, please?