cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet broken promises

Marker

PlusNet broken promises

Changed from Pipex in October 2010.
Promise 1 broken:  Three months free. Plus net started charging straight away. O.K. It is cheap enough but not good enough to offer a free period and not deliver.
Promise 2 broken:  More megabytes. What a joke!  With Pipex I could at least watch snippets of film on U-Tube. With PlusNet I just get long buffering gaps. Invoicing states 10 megs. Actual service less than o.4 megs on a good day. And they are going to charge me £25 to leave this crummy service!
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: PlusNet broken promises

I am sure that the 3 months free will be sorted out.
Regarding the rest of your complaint
The product you are on gives 10GB usage not speed.
In your other post http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,90720 you have been advised that your speed is far too low and asking various questions which you didn't respond to.
Have you raised a fault yet
Marker

Many thanks for your response. I am sorry I did not see the previous replies.
I have two phone lines to the house. One is dedicated to broadband via a previously  existing D-Link ADSL router. It has a filter and is very close to the incoming BT wall socket.  We did have a fax machine attached when we were with Pipex but have removed it for now.
It may be relevant that we had a complete breakdown around the time of the changeover and a BT engineer fitted a new connection box high on the outside wall of the house. I can't recall whether it was before or after the change from Pipex to PlusNet
Curiously the speed has doubled this morning. I have just done a test and got 1.1 megs fantastic!  Or is it a function of the time of day? After various enquiries I have been advised that distance from the exchange is the problem. This does not explain the dramatic reduction in speed after changing from Pipex to PlusNet does it?
I will be delighted if you can do anything about this issue.
Mark Mercer 
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Absolute rubbish
With the reported attenuation of 46.5 you should be seeing much faster speeds than that
There is a problem.
I suggest raising a speed fault but before doing that can you provide the stats from the router - noise margin, speeds and attenuation - when using the test socket. This tells you how to get them http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Marker

Plugged in direct socket.
Router stats  SNR 18,18  Line Attenuation 47,31  Data Rate  1147,448
Commercial rate test - around 600 down 380 up.
Does this look OK?
Thanks for your help
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Marker,
Apologies re the offer there seems to have been a problem with the processing of your referral, I've discounted the next 3 months of broadband subscription for you.
With regards to speeds I'm going to advise that you have a look at the traffic management tables listed here:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
If this does not offer a clearer explanation then I'd advise going to http://faults.plus.net to report a problem.
Please let me know if you decide to go for the latter option as I'll make sure it's handled properly for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend

With that sync speed your IP profile is almost certainly 750 kbps which explains the speed test result.
You can check it here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed where it says current line speed
You need to raise a fault
Marker

Thanks guys
I have raised a fault and will await developments.
Mark
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'll keep an eye on your fault ticket and make sure you get a response today.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Marker

Many thanks.
I have been using the web by the direct connection and am now getting double the speed I was before - up to 1 meg at times.
Will experiment with the cover back on the BT box next.
Kind regards
Mark Mercer
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Good to hear, by direct connection do you mean connecting the PC to the router via an ethernet cable rather than wireless?
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Marker

By direct connection I mean I took the  top off the BT wall socket (as advised) and plugged the filter into the inner socket.
Following an email from Plus Net (14the Feb)  I have just tested and recorded a download speed of 1.983 megs.
Am absolutely delighted!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Good stuff Marker Smiley nice to hear, don't hesitate to give me a headsup if you have any other problems with your connection (here's hoping you don't!)
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team